DVD Talk
Spider-Man 2 - THE New Demo DVD! [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man 2 - THE New Demo DVD!

QuiGonJosh
11-19-04, 04:03 PM
I was able to get a hold of a copy of Spider-Man 2. Everyone buying this DVD is in for a real treat. This is one of the finest 2-Disc Sets I have ever seen.

First of all the Transfer and Sound, well I think that this is possibly the most film-like transfer I've ever seen. And I think the Dolby Digital track just absolutely destroy's the best of the DTS tracks. Its perfectly designed. Dialogue is loud and clear, but not overbearing, the score pumps through the speakers with force, your sub will need to smoke a cigarette, and the surround speakers are incredibly active in the action sequence. Just go directly to Chapter 39, it goes from completely silent to bombastic. This sound mix rivals the best: Attack of the Clones, Lord of the Rings Extended Editions, 5th Element: Superbit, etc. The Train Fight is THE new Demo scene.

And then theres this fabulous 2hr.5min. doc. that rivals the best of the best (TPM, LOTR EE's, etc)

Now, I know theres a Superbit being released the same day. I wasn't able to get a hold of it, but honestly, I really can't see any room for improvement here, its likely that the DTS track won't have the same hoomp to it if ya know what I mean, if you don't, well theres some DTS tracks that just don't sound has bombastic has their DD counterparts.

But anyhow, just wanted to let you guys know that your in for a serious treat on the 30th. :)

Mike Lowrey
11-19-04, 04:13 PM
Sounds cool. I just wished I had a sub that could handle heavy bass. My left sub as a problem with sudden loud "thumps". I don't know if it's ruptured or if it's screw mountings have come loose.

buckee1
11-19-04, 04:19 PM
Glad to hear how excellent the 2 disc set is! Can't wait til the 30th.

QuiGonJosh
11-19-04, 04:24 PM
haha! Theres a whole bit on the DVD of Sam abusing actors! lol! This disc rules!

Cornelius1047
11-19-04, 04:36 PM
I've been waiting for this disc since I saw the movie back in June. I wanted to see it again, but somehow never got around to it. I figured, it'll be on DVD soon enough. And it looks to be worth the wait. Hard to believe a comic book superhero movie is in my top 10 for the year, two years in a row (X2).

K

taa455
11-19-04, 04:39 PM
Hmmm. I'm starting to wonder now if I should've just ordered the 2-disc instead of the superbit.

QuiGonJosh
11-19-04, 04:41 PM
I really don't see the need for a Superbit here. The DD track is unbelievable, I highly doubt a Superbit is going to make any difference. But again its up to you. DTS freaks will probably think I'm insane though.

Fok
11-19-04, 04:53 PM
Hopefully I can hold out for 2.5.

Green Jello
11-19-04, 04:58 PM
QuiGonJosh: What kind of system were you using to check this disc out on?

QuiGonJosh
11-19-04, 05:04 PM
32 inch Toshiba
Sony DD/DTS Sound System

granted, its not the biggest system in the world, but it gets the job done.

I just have a analog TV, but I can still tell a good transfer from a bad one and this is a great one.

Simpson Purist
11-19-04, 05:10 PM
Cool beans, I was planning on buying the 2-disc version anyway (my brother will probably get the Superbit version).

Green Jello
11-19-04, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
32 inch Toshiba
Sony DD/DTS Sound System

I just have a analog TV, but I can still tell a good transfer from a bad one and this is a great one.

By "Sony DD/DTS Sound System" do you mean a HTIB?

Big Worms
11-19-04, 05:17 PM
Awesome news! I cannot wait for this dvd. I loved the movie.

Spiderbite
11-19-04, 05:24 PM
32 inch Toshiba
Sony DD/DTS Sound System

Thanks for the review. I am on the fence for this between the regular edition, the Superbit, or wait for 2.5.

No offense to your set-up but a 65 inch 16X9 HDTV can show big differences in transfers when comparing a transferto a 32 inch standard TV.

eau
11-19-04, 05:39 PM
Darn! I was going to get the superbit version. Now I am undecided :p

taa455
11-19-04, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Thanks for the review. I am on the fence for this between the regular edition, the Superbit, or wait for 2.5.

No offense to your set-up but a 65 inch 16X9 HDTV can show big differences in transfers when comparing a transferto a 32 inch standard TV. I agree.

OldBoy
11-19-04, 05:58 PM
i guess we'll have to see some comparisons, hopefully soon. i myself have the Superbit ordered, but could double dip as i think this one is worth it.

QuiGonJosh
11-19-04, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by brianluvdvd

No offense to your set-up but a 65 inch 16X9 HDTV can show big differences in transfers when comparing a transferto a 32 inch standard TV.

oh of course I know, notice I didn't go into detail on the image, because I'm sure some a-hole will say theres EE or something, but I can see EE on mine and this one didn't have any. Its a definate demo for Sound though. The 5.1 track is one of the best!

Rubix
11-19-04, 07:15 PM
i ordered both since i ended up getting both of the first spider-mans too. i like them enough that i want the commentaries/extras + best visual/audio quality.

why they couldn't have a single 2 disc release with disc 1 being a superbit with dts and commentaries and then disc 2 for extras i don't know. a commentary can be a mono 200mb track which really won't affect a superbit that much.

it's the extra video from trailors and deleted scenes that suck up all the mb. even animated menus can get quite large sometimes.

Jackskeleton
11-19-04, 07:42 PM
I think I called this back during the test screening when Doc Ock did his experiment. That boom was just too perfect for demo dvding.

El-Kabong
11-19-04, 08:00 PM
*sigh* Pity that the disc is so damn good, cause I'm going to have to sit this one out. With Marvel's bullshit lawsuit againt Cryptic Studios (the City of Heroes guys) and their underhanded strong arm bully tatics, I'm gonna give this one a miss.

I know that I'm just one lone man againt the horde - but a person's gotta do what they think is right. Ah well.

Fincher Fan
11-19-04, 08:55 PM
I agree this disc is great! I was disappointed with the fluffy extras disc for the first movie and this one more than makes up for it. The Raimi/Maguire commentary is also excellent.

QuiGonJosh
11-20-04, 04:44 AM
I havent had a chance to listen to the whole commentary, but I did sample it and it sounded like fun. Theres some great easter eggs on the second disc. One is on the Making Of, simply press up, and enter. The other is on the Languages menu, press left, then enter. And then theres one on Disc One. Highlight a spider on the commentaries menu, right above the main menu selection.

Also heres some reviews, that seem to be saying what I'm saying here.

http://www.dvd.net.au/review.cgi?review_id=4656

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ID=5344

QuiGonJosh
11-20-04, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by El-Kabong
*sigh* Pity that the disc is so damn good, cause I'm going to have to sit this one out. With Marvel's bullshit lawsuit againt Cryptic Studios (the City of Heroes guys) and their underhanded strong arm bully tatics, I'm gonna give this one a miss.

I know that I'm just one lone man againt the horde - but a person's gotta do what they think is right. Ah well.

whatever, your seriously missing out.

Fincher Fan
11-20-04, 05:01 AM
^ I agree. Besides doesn't skipping this disc send more of a message to Sony than Marvel?

QuiGonJosh
11-20-04, 05:06 AM
yeah if you were against Marvel, wouldn't boycotting the movie on screen and all Marvel comics be the smarter movie, because as Fincher as said, your really boycotting Sony with the DVD.

Dane
11-20-04, 08:21 AM
Just watched this last night. Great flick but very, very disappointing image & sound quality.

I, Spy sounds and looks spectacular compared to Spider-man 2.

RichardW
11-20-04, 09:04 AM
I may have to cancel the Superbit and get the SE for the 2-hour documentary. Decisions, decisions.

DVD Josh
11-20-04, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by RichardW
I may have to cancel the Superbit and get the SE for the 2-hour documentary. Decisions, decisions.

I was thinking that too...but BBV will have an arseload of PPV copies where the bonus disc will be practically untouched for very low. I'll just make my own SE with the SB and sell of the movie only on eBay (probably make my money back at that!).

dgc
11-20-04, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Dane
Just watched this last night. Great flick but very, very disappointing image & sound quality.

:hscratch:

DJ_Longfellow
11-20-04, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I'll just get the SuperBit.....I'm not a BIG fan of extras.

QuiGonJosh
11-20-04, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Dane

the hell you been smokin?

nodeerforamonth
11-20-04, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Fincher Fan
^ I agree. Besides doesn't skipping this disc send more of a message to Sony than Marvel?

No one's going to notice the lack of one sale of a movie that was one of (if not, the) highest grossing movie of the year.

If you're angry at Marvel for the lawsuit (as I am), write them a letter!

Spiderbite
11-20-04, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by El-Kabong

Do what you gotta do man. I know I am in the minority but I skipped the recently released Star Wars Trilogy for obvious reasons.

Just get it in a trade or rent it. That way you don't give them any of your money but you still get to see the product.

kar10
11-20-04, 05:13 PM
Imagine if Dolby 5.1 Track is great than DTS (Superbit) is going to be even better.

I'm still sticking to Superbit.

JTH182
11-20-04, 09:46 PM
I'm going with the Superbit as I never even watched the extras on the first movie 2 disc set, and was a bit unimpressed with the video and sound.

NotoriousDRE
11-20-04, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by JTH182
I'm going with the Superbit as I never even watched the extras on the first movie 2 disc set, and was a bit unimpressed with the video and sound.

Same here...if the DD beats DTS, i'll at least have them both to test and comparably show-off

QuiGonJosh
11-21-04, 06:41 AM

But this 2-Disc set has really good extras, not crap like the first movies. I really think the 2-Disc set is the better way to go here, the extras are truly worth watching and fun and I doubt a Superbit is going to look any better.

OldBoy
11-21-04, 08:48 AM
But this 2-Disc set has really good extras, not crap like the first movies. I really think the 2-Disc set is the better way to go here, the extras are truly worth watching and fun and I doubt a Superbit is going to look any better.

to each his own! do u work for sony or something? we'll get what we want and enjoy full throttle whatever we decide. i am going with Superbit and maybe the 2-disc too and never look back, but def Superbit for DTS and what i am sure will be a little crisper presentation.

QuiGonJosh
11-21-04, 10:07 AM
I know it probably sounds like I am pimping the 2-Disc...and I guess I am...cause its a real quality release.

I'll probably buy the Superbit too. I too am a sucker for DTS, but I might wait for reviews.

OldBoy
11-21-04, 11:51 AM
my plan was to actually buy both since i have gift cards for BB and take the 2-disc case and use the Superbit in one and extras in other and fold the Superbit cover so that is showing front and the 2-disc cover art fold over so the back is showing in the back. Put the sheeth over and wala! Maybe sell the other movie only disc back if the Superbit presentation rules all!!

HerdfanWV
11-21-04, 01:35 PM
Anyone know if the extras on this disc are going to be the same ones on the 2.5 disc?

Cause I'm thinking about going with the Superbit, Netflixing the 2 disc version, and then double dipping with the 2.5.

tinlunlau
11-21-04, 02:46 PM
just wondering....i bought the region 3 hong kong edition and it seems to contain 5 trailers. i've heard the region 1 edition has more trailers. does the region 1 edition of "Spiderman 2" contain the trailer of "Kung Fu Hustle" by any chance?

it was nice to see that "Kung Fu Hustle" teaser in high quality. (although not anamorphic).

ckolchak
11-21-04, 04:12 PM
my BB movie pass expires on the 30th, so i'm going to grab one of the SEs at 10 am, watch it that night on my fp, and if the quality is satisfactory, just pick up the SE (which will most likely be more heavily discounted on street week than the SB)- and not look back.
i'd rather not have to buy the SB if it isn't neccessary, 'cause i think the concept is a rip-off.

steebo777
11-21-04, 10:24 PM
the extras are truly worth watching and fun and I doubt a Superbit is going to look any better.
Things change though once you go to a really big screen (i.e. >100"). Don't get me wrong though, SBs are usually just marketing junk, but there are a few that look better than their counterparts. I'm sticking with the Superbit.

Originally posted by HerdfanWV
Anyone know if the extras on this disc are going to be the same ones on the 2.5 disc?
How in the hell is anyone supposed to know this? The 2.5 set was barely announced, let alone completed or specced out yet.

HerdfanWV
11-22-04, 01:16 AM
How in the hell is anyone supposed to know this?

Ok, thanks for your kind help.

matrixrok9
11-22-04, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by HerdfanWV
Ok, thanks for your kind help.

LMAO !!!!!!!!!!

dbmottle
11-22-04, 09:45 AM
Doesn't sound like its exactly demo quality. Hopefully the Superbit will be better.

http://dvdmg.com/spiderman2.shtml

QuiGonJosh
11-22-04, 10:14 AM
Odd...the other two reviews I've read all give it 10/10 or A's for both sound and picture.

Perhaps theres something up with that guy's set-up.

http://www.dvd.net.au/review.cgi?review_id=4656

Green Jello
11-22-04, 11:08 AM

DVD Pioneer DV-535, using S-Video output
Display Grundig Elegance 82-2101 (82cm, 16x9). Calibrated with Video Essentials. This display device is 16x9 capable.
Audio Decoder Built in to amplifier/receiver. Calibrated with Video Essentials.
Amplification Sony STR DE-545
Speakers Sony SS-V315 x5; Sony SA-WMS315 subwoofer

Hardly a setup that anyone should be using to "review" and judge DVD sound quality.

dbmottle
11-23-04, 05:56 PM
Odd...the other two reviews I've read all give it 10/10 or A's for both sound and picture.

I believe those same two review sites also gave very high marks for the original Spiderman as well, and it had subpar audio and video.

QuiGonJosh
11-23-04, 06:48 PM
it looked and sounded great on my set up...and the Superbit looked and sounded amazing!

QuiGonJosh
11-29-04, 04:45 PM
bit of a bump here

I picked up the Gift Set and the Superbit. The Gift Set is classy as hell. Beautiful packaging and nice little artwork books.

Now I check out the Superbit and I can't believe it. It out did the 2-Disc, the picture while not looking that much better does appear to be a little more sharp and defined. I didn't notice as much grain either.

But the DTS track is an absolutel killer. I honestly didn't think it would out-do the 2-Disc, but it did. Theres sounds on the DTS track that I didn't even hear on the DD track on the 2-Disc, the bass is tighter, and the overall sound is more full and spacious.

Either way you go, 2-Disc or Superbit, you won't be disappointed at all.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0