Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Games that Haunt you!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-04, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Games that Haunt you!

I'm Talking about the game that seems to have always kicked your ass. You've picked it up and popped it in your system time after time only to pack it back up frustrated vowing to once again in the future finally beat the damn thing but no matter how many times you try, You can't seem to beat it.

I have a few.

Castlevania. (original for NES) Bought it first day it came out and never got past the Grim Reaper. Bought it for my GB SP all excited and again, I can't get by the damn Grim Reaper. (have I not improved in 20 years)

Ghosts n Goblins. Can't do it. Impossible game!

Vagrant Story. I'm still half way through and ONE DAY, I will beat this freakin' game.

DARTH
Old 11-19-04, 08:45 AM

I know this is old skool, but definitely ROBOTRON for me. If I can get about 7 levels in, I'm happy, but I shall go no further.
Old 11-19-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adventure Island for NES.
Old 11-19-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Yes.

Knights of the Old Republic....I'm on the last level but I can't stay alive long enough to finish the game. But it was the 1st RPG game that totally impressed me. I just pre-ordered KOTOR II.

Resident Evil (the whole series)...Every version I had kicked my ass and I never finished them. Rationing bullets is something I find hard to do and that's why I liked, and finished, Onimusha. You can't run out of Samurai sword But again, the RE series is another series I love.

The Rainbow Six games on XBOX...I'll never finish those. I may trade them in soon.
Old 11-19-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I got to the second screen of ghosts and goblins.
Old 11-19-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
any of the Mega Man games on NES
Old 11-19-04, 09:58 AM

The Total Recall game for NES.
Old 11-19-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well TMNT for the NES. There are certain parts of that game that just make me want to break controllers. In the level right before you go on top of that levels building to jump in the water for the swimming level (make any sense?) there is a jump that is just impossible to me. It would always take 10-20 tries to get over the damn thing. Also I always got stuck when I was driving around in the turtle van. I still have no clue where to go.

Oddly enough I liked the game.
Old 11-19-04, 10:36 AM
~M~

For me it was Ninja Gaiden on the old NES.

I still hate that game to this day.

|mb
Old 11-19-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by boredsilly
Well TMNT for the NES. There are certain parts of that game that just make me want to break controllers. In the level right before you go on top of that levels building to jump in the water for the swimming level (make any sense?) there is a jump that is just impossible to me. It would always take 10-20 tries to get over the damn thing. Also I always got stuck when I was driving around in the turtle van. I still have no clue where to go.

Yeah I could never find enough missiles to take out all the roadblocks.
Old 11-19-04, 11:13 AM
RVP

Wow, TMNT brings back some memories. I always hated the stupid swiming maze where you had to defuse the bombs in a certain amount of time.
Old 11-19-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Games that Haunt you!

Originally posted by DARTH GAMER
Castlevania. (original for NES) Bought it first day it came out and never got past the Grim Reaper. Bought it for my GB SP all excited and again, I can't get by the damn Grim Reaper. (have I not improved in 20 years)
Get triple-shot holy water (you can get it by progressing normally through level 5, so even if you have to continue, you're not screwed). Hit him with holy water, wait a sceond, and repeat until dead. Just keep hitting him with it. The Repear won't even get a chance to move.
Old 11-19-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally posted by RVP
Wow, TMNT brings back some memories. I always hated the stupid swiming maze where you had to defuse the bombs in a certain amount of time.
I hated that level also. Totally forgot about it till now.
Old 11-19-04, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by boredsilly

I've never really had trouble with those parts. But the last level was a pain. Those enemies are just way too powerful. I remember a couple years back I tried playing it on the emulator just because I can save and reload if I ever die. Well, I got to the last level and the game froze

That was one game I've always wanted to beat.
Old 11-19-04, 12:33 PM

Re: Re: Games that Haunt you!

Originally posted by Jeremy517
Get triple-shot holy water (you can get it by progressing normally through level 5, so even if you have to continue, you're not screwed). Hit him with holy water, wait a sceond, and repeat until dead. Just keep hitting him with it. The Repear won't even get a chance to move.
Thankyou for the advice. I'll give it a try the next time I want to torture myself.

Just a question, Has anyone ever woken up from a sound sleep because you were having a dream about a game and figured out a way to get by a spot you were having trouble on. I've done that at least 3 times. I've got to stop playing games.
Old 11-19-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by asianxcore
any of the Mega Man games on NES
Me, too. Especially Mega Man 4 and up.
Old 11-19-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ninja Gaiden(NES) - it frustrated the hell out of me when it originally came out. I revisited it April 03 and was doing fine up until Stage 5. I left my NES on for three days trying to make it through, but I could not get through the flying ninjas in Stage 5-3. I gave up and haven't touched it since.
TMNT(NES) - water level with the bombs, yeah.
Contra: Shattered Soldier(PS2) - bought this the day it came out, put many hours into it perfecting each stage, but I just couldn't get through Stage 6 to unlock 7, argh. I haven't played the game in over a year and a half, but I intend to try it again this Christmas break.
Contra III: The Alien Wars(SNES) - Never have beat this game legit, would call it the most impossible game ever if not for.....
Ghosts 'N Goblins(NES) - Impossible. I haven't made it past the flying red devil.....
Shinobi(PS2) - this game was painful. I gave up once I reached Stage 7. Only time I ever felt like putting my fist through the TV then systematically hunting down everyone involved in the production of the game.

Last edited by KingSmoth; 11-19-04 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-19-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rolling Thunder

Every time I start I think "This is fun - if I just take my time, I should be able to make it to the end of the level."

Bah! What a laugh...

Oh... do I need to mention Ghosts and Goblins also? Jeeezuz - I wonder if they even bothered to MAKE anything past the first level in some of these old games - I have the feeling that if you get past level one, there's just a white screen and some randomly placed power-ups...
Old 11-19-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only game I can really think of right now is Mario & Luigi. I can't beat the last boss on that game to save to my own life. It doesn't help that the fight takes like 20 minutes
Old 11-19-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Although I've "beaten" the game, I'm still trying to get all the gold medals in Rogue Leader. I'm up to 8 now.
Old 11-19-04, 03:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Breakdown is the first one that comes to mind. Even on the easy level I finally hit a point (the "arena" or whatever it is where there is just wave after wave of foes) that I just couldn't get past. I finally traded it.

Mace Griffin... love the game (best sniper rifle in all the FPSs I've played so far) but even w/ the cheat codes I was never able to make it past the final level, I'd always run out of time

I've hit a plateau w/ Kung-Fu Chaos that I just can't seem to get past a certain % complete (don't recall what it is off hand). Still a fun game to play every once in awhile though

Last edited by nemein; 11-19-04 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-19-04, 03:57 PM

Ghosts N' Goblins

Yea, this game still ranks among the toughest ever. Just brutal. The real kicker is, you have to play through it twice to get the 'real' ending...something about a weapon you need, but don't get the first time through. Some crap like that. I never did this, of course, but knew someone who did. Once. Castlevania was another 'impossible' game for me. I don't think I even got to the Reaper...maybe Frankenstein? I just remember there was one boss I couldn't beat, but my (younger) brother could, so I ended up hating the game.

And for whatever reason, I could never, ever beat Mr. Sandman on Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! no matter how hard I tried. Could beat anyone else fairly easily, but NEVER him. Just a few years ago I popped the game in after not playing it for almost 10 years, and breezed through the whole game (Sandman included). Felt good.
Old 11-19-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Ghost & Goblins just made you beat it twice.

Super Ghouls & Ghosts is the game that made you start over to get the new weapon.

I actually did it ONCE for SG&G.. it was 91 or something and I think was the only game we had other than Mario World..
Old 11-19-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Goldeneye.

Maybe it was fumbling with the awkward N64 controller to play an FPS game. Maybe it was the nonstop number of soldiers who constantly assaulted you. More likely, it was the awful end-of-levels-only save feature. This was a great game for the time - and is still a lot of fun - but I reached a certain point and couldn't get past it.

They have this one level where you're trying to rescue a hostage. The level is really difficult, and it takes about 20 minutes of hard, careful work to make it to the end. At the end, you walk into a clearing and see four guys pointing guns at the hostage. If you don't take all four of them out immediately, at least one guy shoots the hostage and you fail the level.

I must've played that level several dozen times. Kept losing the hostage, and would have to replay the whole goddamn level to try saving the hostage again. Incredibly frustrating. Never passed it.

- David Stein
Old 11-19-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by sfsdfd
They have this one level where you're trying to rescue a hostage. The level is really difficult, and it takes about 20 minutes of hard, careful work to make it to the end. At the end, you walk into a clearing and see four guys pointing guns at the hostage. If you don't take all four of them out immediately, at least one guy shoots the hostage and you fail the level.

I must've played that level several dozen times. Kept losing the hostage, and would have to replay the whole goddamn level to try saving the hostage again. Incredibly frustrating. Never passed it.

- David Stein
Are you talking about the end of the statue park mission? If so, you're not supposed to kill anyone. You're supposed to just walk up to the guys and get captured. If you try to shoot, they'll always kill the hostage.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.