DVD Talk
"Colossus:The Forbin Project" IS full frame! [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : "Colossus:The Forbin Project" IS full frame!

Jaymole
11-17-04, 05:35 PM
I can't believe Universal has released this great film pan & scan. It is particularly horrendous seeing how it's a 2:35:1 ratio film!!!

Looks like Universal's website is correct so Charley Varrick, Raggedy Man, Tank & Iceman (another 2:35:1 film) will all be full frame.

You can go to Universal's website and send an e-mail complaining about this travesty, just click on contact us and follow along: http://homevideo.universalstudios.com

Numanoid
11-17-04, 05:45 PM
Bah! I was hoping against hope that it would end up being OAR. Oh well, I have my widescreen laserdisc and will continue to watch that.

Universal, you have lost a sale. Nice move.

Jason
11-17-04, 06:43 PM
Damn. I'm in the middle of rereading the book, and was looking forward to seeing the movie again. Guess I'll have to scare up a copy on ebay.

skipnet
11-17-04, 11:02 PM
What do you expect Colossus to but full frame, it was NOT a theatrical release, it WAS an ABC Movie of the Week. So it is OAR.

Skip

marty888
11-17-04, 11:03 PM
Wel. my list of DVDs to buy always exceeds my budget, so I'll simply scratch this one off and spend my $$ on other titles.

NO OAR = NO SALE.

Numanoid
11-17-04, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by skipnet
What do you expect Colossus to but full frame, it was NOT a theatrical release, it WAS an ABC Movie of the Week. So it is OAR.

Skip Uh, no.

shill66
11-18-04, 12:24 AM
Skip... move to Earth, it's nice here. :)

Well, it's MOSTLY nice, except that Universal Home Video has been putting out full-frame releases of movies that should ONLY be released in widescreen. Despicable.

John Hodson
11-18-04, 06:37 AM
That's very disappointing; I voiced my concern with Universal, but they looked to have ignored me (no surprise there...)

I'm more disappointed with Charley Varrick, but I suppose that will be open matte rather than p&s?

marty888
11-18-04, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by skipnet

Skip

This movie premiered <i>theatrically</i> in April 1970.

Technical Specifications for
Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)
Laboratory
Technicolor, USA
Film negative format (mm/video inches)
35 mm
Cinematographic process
Panavision (anamorphic)
Printed film format
35 mm
Aspect ratio
2.35 : 1

salamander2
11-18-04, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by John Hodson
That's very disappointing; I voiced my concern with Universal, but they looked to have ignored me (no surprise there...)

I'm more disappointed with Charley Varrick, but I suppose that will be open matte rather than p&s?

yes, it is a open matte presentation, as I always thought it was a scope movie, but when I played my WS LD side by side with my old vhs tape, the vhs was just a open matte presentation.

However, the new vhs edition stated "home video version" over the older vhs tape, so some music cues or songs in the background might have been altered, not sure about the DVD release though.

salamander2
11-18-04, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by marty888
This movie premiered <i>theatrically</i> in April 1970.

Technical Specifications for
Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)
Laboratory
Technicolor, USA
Film negative format (mm/video inches)
35 mm
Cinematographic process
Panavision (anamorphic)
Printed film format
35 mm
Aspect ratio
2.35 : 1

I have the LD and it is a scope movie, therefore you are losing 50% of the films image on full screen. DVD therefore is pan and scan

speedy1961
11-18-04, 11:52 AM
I saw this in the theater when I was 9.

Seeker
11-18-04, 10:57 PM
i thought this moview was cool - but a panand scan isn't fun.

ShagMan
11-19-04, 09:07 AM
I read this on dvdanswers.com, and was very disapointed. I was wanting Tank and Iceman in OAR... guess not :( Tank is only 1.85:1, but Iceman was 2.35:1, ouch.

zyzzle
11-19-04, 07:49 PM
A travesty. It is truly stupid and pointless to release a movie that fans have been waiting for 20+ yrs in a butchered P&S form!

I just can't see how this is a good business decision on Universal's part. They are better off financially to have not even released the title at all than have 100,000+ unsold copies because of this assinine decision.

Same with ICEMAN, another film deserving of so much more. No sale from me and many of my aquaintances.

How many more years will we have to wait, Universal?

prince_of_saturn
11-19-04, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by zyzzle
A travesty. It is truly stupid and pointless to release a movie that fans have been waiting for 20+ yrs in a butchered P&S form!

?

Correction, it was released in widescreen on LD about 7 years ago, so it was not a 20 + year wait,

calhoun07
11-19-04, 11:11 PM
Damn, I never have seen this movie, but I was going to buy it blind based on all I have read about it and actually was looking forward to seeing it. Thanks, Universal, for killing that hope.

sparks
11-20-04, 01:21 AM
I've emailed them twice and still no reply...they could give a s---!

Frank S
11-20-04, 02:52 AM
I have just eMailed Universal myself and below is what I sent. I know people are mad about this situation but please try to keep it civil and to the point so it actually get read.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have just heard confirmation that Universal is indeed releasing a Full Screen only DVD of Colossus: The Forbin Project. I am totally baffled as to why Universal would released a DVD that will be bought by film enthusiasts like myself but released it in a aspect ratio that I (and other enthuaists) will NEVER buy it in! I thought we had got past the days when studios released DVD's in the full screen only aspect ratio, appealing to those less informed as to the true butchering a film receives when released in FS. The viewing public has become much more aware of the benefits of the OAR (Original Apsect Ratio) and the comparative sale of dual FS and WS releases bare out the fact that WS DVD's are much more preferred. With more and more consumers buying 16x9 TV's it further proves the more prudent reason for WS releases of DVD's.

I have purchased hundreds of Universal DVD's (I have over 1200 overall) and am very pleased with the quality of the WS DVD's I have bought but I will tell you upfront that know matter how much I want a particular film I will NEVER purchase a Full Screen DVD from any studio (accepting of course a film's OAR is 1.33:1).

I would ask that Universal please consider the possibility of a second Wide Screen DVD release of Colossus: The Forbin project. This would not be without precedence as Warner had a similar situation a coupe of years ago with Willy Wonka and 4-5 months later relented by releasing a WS version that was very much appreciated by us film lovers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

calhoun07
11-23-04, 05:37 PM
Anybody see a copy of this yet? Is it confirmed full screen? (yes, I am holding out hope to the end!)

bboisvert
11-23-04, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by calhoun07
Anybody see a copy of this yet? Is it confirmed full screen? (yes, I am holding out hope to the end!)

It's confirmed pan & scan. Universal is run by monkeys.

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/628564bh.jpg

tacomantt
11-23-04, 06:02 PM
I iwsh they would remake this movie. Just to see how the modern version would look. Don't get me wrong I love the old one, but I would be interested in how the computer as we know it today would be portrayed.

seymouru
11-23-04, 06:47 PM
<br>Not looking good...

http://seymouru.home.mindspring.com/Colossus1.jpg

Maybe?

http://seymouru.home.mindspring.com/Colossus2.jpg

http://members.aol.com/nightdog35/images/smiley_splat.gif

http://seymouru.home.mindspring.com/Colossus3.jpg

philo
11-23-04, 07:38 PM
Ahh thats too depressing. Universal, why bother?

Frank S
11-23-04, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by seymouru
[B]<br>Not looking good...

http://seymouru.home.mindspring.com/Colossus1.jpg

It NOT formatted to fit MY SCREEN (16x9)!!!!!

Jason
11-23-04, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Frank S
It NOT formatted to fit MY SCREEN (16x9)!!!!!

Mine either, but at least if it's open matte I can just use the zoom function and get a sort of wide screen. I'm not thrilled by this, but since it's so cheap, I'll probably get it anyhow.

And it is not only irresponsible, but actuallly EVIL to have a letterboxed credit sequence in a full frame movie.

seymouru
11-23-04, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Jason
And it is not only irresponsible, but actuallly EVIL to have a letterboxed credit sequence in a full frame movie. The unions may legally require the credits to be shown in widescreen so all the names are fully displayed. Too bad there's no union to legally require the film to be fully displayed. -ohbfrank-

digiboy
11-23-04, 08:52 PM
If it was shot anamorphic as stated at IMDB then I don't think there can be an open Matte version. There was no matte involved, the image was compressed on 35mm and decompressed to a widescreen AR. There's no matte to open. That's why you have to Pan and scan it to get a full frame AR, there's no choice.

Only hope would be that the imdb info is wrong and it was shot with a spherical 35mm and matted. Then open matte would be possible.

Am I right about this?

Jason
11-23-04, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by digiboy
If it was shot anamorphic as stated at IMDB then I don't think there can be an open Matte version. There was no matte involved, the image was compressed on 35mm and decompressed to a widescreen AR. There's no matte to open. That's why you have to Pan and scan it to get a full frame AR, there's no choice.

Only hope would be that the imdb info is wrong and it was shot with a spherical 35mm and matted. Then open matte would be possible.

Am I right about this?

A framegrab from the LD would solve this.

seymouru
11-23-04, 09:54 PM
Doesn't the WS credit sequence indicate P&S?

bboisvert
11-23-04, 11:32 PM
Folks, I *own* the laserdisc for this. It is not -- repeat NOT -- open matte. This is a widescreen 2.35:1 film. Just like Star Wars or any other Panavision, widescreen film. This DVD is a travesty, plain and simple. It's PAN & SCAN. Without a doubt. 100% positive.

Universal droppped the ball on this. Avoid this release. You can't solve this by zooming in on the release. That will just make the problem worse.

They fucked up. Write letters, send e-mails. But don't buy this piece of shit because it's 'only' $7. They need to know that this is unacceptable.

mike45
11-24-04, 12:25 AM
I just received the Colossus DVD. I had preordered this disc awhile ago. The disc is a Universal disgrace. There is no main menu or any menu at all. The DVD autoplays when placed in the player. There are chapter stops. The print isn't very good. The VHS tape is just as good. I just can't believe Universal would put out a DVD like this. This is a great sci-fi film it doesn't deserve this treatment.

I wish I had picked up the LD when I had the chance.

digiboy
11-24-04, 01:50 AM
This has to be some test marketing nonsense. Get these titles out with minimal investment, sell them cheap and make the profit. What a shame.
worth posting this link, I just wrote to them myself.

Email Universal (http://www.universalstudios.com/homepage/html/contact_us/contact_form.cgi?email_id=10)

Frank S
11-24-04, 02:00 AM
Everybody needs to go to every website they can find that sells this DVD and write reviews ripping the DVD (NOT the film)! Warn people about this garbage DVD and how studios will only change their ways if we don't buy these bad DVD's!

seymouru
11-24-04, 02:25 AM
This has to be some test marketing nonsense. Get these titles out with minimal investment, sell them cheap and make the profit. What a shame.

Email Universal (http://www.universalstudios.com/homepage/html/contact_us/contact_form.cgi?email_id=10) Thanks for the link. Here's what I wrote:I recently purchased your DVD of "Colossus: The Forbin Project." I was horrified to find that this classic of science fiction, which was filmed in Panavision at an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, was released in an aspect ratio of 1.33:1 using a Pan & Scan format. This approach omits nearly half of every frame in the film.

I and many other film lovers view this release as a travesty. The very least we could expect was a two-sided disc to give knowledgeable consumers the opportunity to see the entire film.

I consider the money I spent on this product wasted, and hope you have the wisdom to re-release the film in its proper format, as Columbia did when they made a similar error with their initial release of the Castle Keep DVD. I look forward to your corrected release of this film, which I will happily purchase.

Until then however, I will refrain from adding any further Universal DVD's to my collection, which now numbers nearly 1,000.

Thank you for your consideration.

fiver
11-24-04, 05:02 AM
This really disappoints me. I'd planned to buy Collossus and charley varrick not only for myself but for my mother for christmas. Now I won't; that's four purchases Universal won't make. My mom hates black bars so she'd probably be fine with it, but I just won't give universal that satisfaction. I'd feel dirty doing it;)

Michael

Jaymole
11-24-04, 08:51 AM
I urge everyone again to write an e-mail to Universal complaining about this. Universal really needs to be swamped with e-mails telling them what an outrageous decision they have made.

Even if this is not a film you are interested in, you should send them an e-mail as Universal may end up doing the same hack job on a film you really want.

dom56
11-24-04, 10:45 AM
I just sent them an e-mail, expressing my disappointment with their decision in releasing one of my favorite classic sci-fi flick in Pan&Scam. :mad:

I hoped they got all our notices, I however I doubt that Universal really ever cared about us anymore. This is one sorry studio. :(

Jason
11-24-04, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by bboisvert
Folks, I *own* the laserdisc for this. It is not -- repeat NOT -- open matte. This is a widescreen 2.35:1 film. Just like Star Wars or any other Panavision, widescreen film. This DVD is a travesty, plain and simple. It's PAN & SCAN. Without a doubt. 100% positive.

Good to have some clarification on this. Thanks!

Numanoid
11-24-04, 03:42 PM
Just fired off a stern, yet polite, email. Hopefully, someone there will catch on.

calhoun07
11-24-04, 06:57 PM
I also sent my email, letting them know my disappointment and my decison to not buy the DVD. And I don't care if it's under ten dollars. Hell, I would pay 20.00 for a widescreen copy of this thing at this point.

landosystem
11-25-04, 07:33 PM
this is so sad, this is one of the most beautifully shot sci-fi films and I loved watching the laser version, but after the debacle I had with Meaning of Life, I expect nothing more than utter garbage from universal.

lizard
11-26-04, 12:45 PM
Sent my feedback to Universal. This pan & scan Colossus: The Forbin Project is a major disappointment to me. It has been very high on my wish list since i started buying DVDs in 1999. Can't fathom why Universal would do something this stupid. (Did someone's dog eat the widescreen master or something?) I thought that P&S only releases had pretty much disappeared. That isn't true, sad to say.

Numanoid
11-29-04, 03:19 PM
Just received a reply from Universal:
Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in 'Colossus: The Forbin Project.' As you noted, the DVD was released in fullframe. We appreciate your input and will forward your comments to the appropriate department

Sincerely,

Universal Studios Home Entertainment

So at least they are reading these emails. Please drop them a line today!

TomOpus
11-29-04, 04:04 PM
By "appropriate department" I hope they don't mean the "trash can" :)

Actually, it's nice that they responded. Maybe they might re-think and re-release in the correct OAR. Damn, wouldn't that be pretty amazing?

cisco1959
11-29-04, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the link, this is my feedback:

"I was really looking forward to adding this dvd to my collection but, finding out that you released it at 1.33:1 instead of the OAR of 2.35:1 is really disappointing. I am sad to say this release will not be added to my collection, even at $7.00 a copy, it is not worth it. I would have gladly paid $20 for this if it were released in the proper OAR. I hope this inferior release will be remedied. I am also sad to say that I will not purchase any Universal release which is not presented in it's OAR. Thank you and remember the only way to view a film is in the OAR!"

mike45
11-29-04, 10:05 PM
I also received a reply from Universal.

Same exact response.

Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in 'Colossus: The Forbin Project.' As you noted, the DVD was released in fullframe. We appreciate your input and will forward your comments to the appropriate department

Sincerely,

Numanoid
11-30-04, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by mike45
I also received a reply from Universal.

Same exact response. That's a good sign. It means they have a template to respond about the issue of Colossus being full-frame, which means a lot of people are writing them about it.

Keep writing, people!

MISS PEACH
11-30-04, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by zyzzle

I agree! COLOSSUS was a great movie! Eric Braeden was just awesome! And he had excellent screen chemistry with Susan Clark. I read the bad reviews some people give COLOSSUS and I just don't get it. Why because it isn't crammed with special effects? It is an intelligent piece of Sci-Fi, and I remember being glued to the TV to see the outcome.

Universal shame on you. http://www.intergate.com/~tobeornot2b/me/SMILEY-RAMA/PISSED-RED1.gif

PEACH

boe
12-02-04, 02:09 AM

Email Universal (http://www.universalstudios.com/homepage/html/contact_us/contact_form.cgi?email_id=10)

Thanks for the link - I added my request. I wish 20th century and MGM had urls like this so I could make similar requests for other movies.

shill66
12-02-04, 02:26 PM
Sent separate mails regarding Colossus and Iceman. Give Iceman some love too.

boe
01-14-05, 11:21 AM
Did anyone here any rumors of them releasing a real version (WS)? Has anyone posted on http://www.planetfeedback.com? I just sent one to universal on another movie so I've used up my whining for the day.

boe
04-02-05, 12:33 PM
Any news on the Wide Screen release? This is one movie I'd really like to have but can't get myself to buy a full screen movie any more.

boe
11-12-05, 12:26 AM
I was really hoping a WS version would be out in time for this 20% sale!

lizard
11-12-05, 12:41 PM
I've given up hoping for a proper WS release. Maybe it will be released in widescreen on one of the new HD formats in a few years.

calhoun07
11-12-05, 02:15 PM
I am hoping it will be released in widescreen in another region at the very least.

It's amazing to me the studio dropped the ball on this one so horribly bad. Did anybody ever hear back from them after they contacted them?

boe
11-12-05, 02:29 PM
I've never heard back from any studio I've ever contacts. I wish the studios would just set up direct polls about what movies you want, what features you would want (e.g. DTS) and what format.

Jason
11-12-05, 05:03 PM
It's not going to be done right until someone else buys the rights to it.

Stromboli
11-13-05, 12:12 AM
I also emailed Universal to complain about the pan & scan.

dom56
11-13-05, 11:26 AM
Universal also need to release The Shadow and Timecop in OAR. I want to buy them but not in Full-Screen. :mad:

lizard
11-13-05, 12:56 PM
I am hoping it will be released in widescreen in another region at the very least.

It's amazing to me the studio dropped the ball on this one so horribly bad. Did anybody ever hear back from them after they contacted them?Check out post 44 above. We all got the same response:

Sincerely,

calhoun07
11-13-05, 06:40 PM
Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in 'Colossus: The Forbin Project.' As you noted, the DVD was released in fullframe. We appreciate your input and will forward your comments to the delete bin.

Sincerely,

Fixed.

boe
11-13-05, 06:56 PM
Yeah - my thoughts are contacting the the studios regarding their DVDs is about as effective as submitting those requests to my nearest brick wall. I do contact them but realize I've accomplished nothing. If they had a department for those requests it might mean something.

"... a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing."

nemein
04-07-08, 07:58 AM
R2 widescreen release available in May 08 http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=528993

Mammal
04-07-08, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the tip. I preordered it. Thanks to nemein and Oppo too.

Numanoid
04-08-08, 12:29 AM
Oh glorious day! :banana:

You all can thank me for this, as I was just about to convert my widescreen laserdisc to DVD. ;)

nemein
04-08-08, 06:35 AM
Since the only thing going right now is the R2 release please follow up in the thread linked above...

zyzzle
04-08-08, 06:18 PM
If there only was a way to eliminate the 4% PAL speed-up on NTSC systems.... I would be in heaven.

Hey NUMANOID:

I'll BUY your laserdisc version... I'd rather have the film in letterbox at lesser quality than anamorphic widescreen with the 4% speedup. Seriously PM me, as I'd like to make that LD to DVD transfer of FORBIN PROJECT!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0