Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ipcress File and Funeral in Berlin rerelease?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-04, 02:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big Michael Caine fan and I've been scouring for R1 copies of The Ipcress File and Funeral in Berlin, but they're both OOP. They were in print for a very short time--is there a plan to rerelease them?
Old 11-17-04, 09:30 PM

I've seen Funeral in Berlin at those cheap DVD stores.

Do you know what other Harry Palmer films are out on DVD.

Are either of those films good?
Old 11-17-04, 10:36 PM

Both Ipcress File and Funeral in Berlin are classics and highly recommended if you like realistic spy stories.
Old 11-17-04, 10:51 PM

Where exactly did you see "Funeral in Berlin", FilmStudent?
Old 11-18-04, 02:17 AM

Funeral in Berlin is available cheap if you move to the Darkside...I mean mulitregion.

Ipcress File is still showing as available in a few stores. Try Canada too.
Old 11-18-04, 02:19 AM

Review for the Australian DVD here

Billion Dollar Brain
Old 11-18-04, 08:58 AM

Found my copy of Ipcress File at a Borders a few months ago. May want to check there if you have one nearby. I often get lucky finding such hidden gems just sitting on the shelves there.
Old 11-18-04, 09:44 PM

Sorry - i dont' remember the name. It was one of those time square cheapo dvd stores
Old 11-18-04, 09:57 PM

There is one other film in the set that came out about 5 years ago. I can't recalled the title, but I believe it has Beijing in it.
Austin
Old 11-18-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Yes Bullet to Beijing and Midnight In St. Petersburg, made in the 90s but not near the level of the first three.

I'm a fan of those early Harry Palmer films, especially Ipcress and Billion Dollar Brain. Funeral In Berlin is one that has grown on me a bit more with subsequent viewings and the photography is especially good. Its a much slower film and lacks the distinct style, music and suspense from Ipcress.

The Anchor Bay release of Ipcress is especially worthwhile for the entertaining and informative commentary with director Sydney Furie and the late great editor Peter Hunt who contributed much to the final film. I assume the rights are back with Universal now. I wonder what the chances are of a Criterion release or if any deleted scenes exist given the rewrites and stills from scenes that are not in the film. I'd also love to have a commentary from Michael Caine on one of these films.

I'm hoping for a region 1 release of Billion Dollar Brain that has more to offer. I have the UK disc which is miles ahead of my panned and scanned tape but MGM cut the Beatles song because of cost. Its such a fun movie with a lot of energy, humor, and a great score. If they could get Ken Russell for a commentary I'd be jumping for joy. Somehow I kinda think they'll release the same barebones edited version though.
Old 11-19-04, 05:58 AM

Thanks, philo, for the update.

I love the Palmer films and eagerly await a Billion Dollar Brain release.

I'm confused about the cost of the rights to the Beatles song. In the Prisoner DVD set (last episode), they continued to use All You Need Is Love -- is this just a cost they decided to pay that a company releasing BDB wouldn't want to pay?
Old 11-19-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Right, I noticed that too. You'd think MGM could afford what A&E Home Video could for their release of The Prisoner but then again they did have a large amount of debt when they were purchased by Sony. I think maybe MGM was just looking to cut corners for a film without the cult following and reputation of something like the Prisoner.