Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Robotech primer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-04, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Robotech primer?

Personally I've never really been able to get into japanimation, I've tried all the recommended titles and except for the first few eps of Kaze no Yojimbo (although it started to slip as it went on IMHO) I just couldn't get around the fact that I'm essentially still watching a cartoon. Nothing against anime it just doesn't "work" for me so I'm just not familiar w/ it, which is why I'm asking this question

Anyway, what's the quick lowdown on the Robotech series on DVD? Is it really a Japanese produced series (as opposed to something that has been imported/co-opted/Americanized)? Are all the original Japanese produced eps available in the states or are there some that can only be gotten from overseas? What's the best place to get them (either domestic or import)? What's the deal w/ the "remastered" series (are there only the 3 of them) and how does that fit into the original series? Finally are all of them appropriate for a pre/early-teen boy?

TIA
Old 11-17-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Macross = original Japanese version
Robotech = Americanized version

There are multiple versions out there. I've always been into wanting the original versions when possible, so I'd go with the Macross version.

I'm not sure about all the versions, so I'll let someone else answer that question.
Old 11-17-04, 02:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basically, three unrelated Japanese anime series:
Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
Southern Cross
Genesis Climber Mospeada

got converted (cut and dubbed, new music, etc.) and combined into:
Robotech: Macross Saga
Robotech: Masters
Robotech: New Generation
- with various things (names, plots) changed to make it seem that the series is happening chronologically.

What's available on DVD domestically:
- all three of the original series are available in Japanese w/ english subtitles (AnimEigo released Macross, AD Vision released Southern Cross and Mospeada)
- Robotech: basically, the Robotech series that we saw on TV in the early 80's. Dubbed in English. These are available in box sets, each set containing an additional "extras" disc.
- "Remastered" Robotech: restores all of the original footage cut from the originals in making Robotech + uses better transfers (but still dubbed in English). A shower scene has been restored in the first Macross disc, so I'm not sure about the pre/early-teen boy situation you're in and what you'll allow (I think that's the only "risque" thing you might encounter). There will be remastered versions of the entire Robotech series.

I grew up on Robotech and it was one of the coolest things I saw back then (in the early 80's, compared to what else was available) - it's hope within a bleak situation (since humanity gets decimated several times over). Macross is great because it actually deals with post-war aftermath (rebuilding, intergration w/ aliens, etc.) , which is interesting because it just doesn't end after the big battle.
Old 11-17-04, 04:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info... so is there a good [r]etailer to get the originals from? It seems to kid in question is interested in learning Japanese and likes the series anyway so having the original language (and subtitles if possible) would be preferred. Regarding the "risque" aspects it's not my kid but I'll pass the info along to his mother.
Old 11-17-04, 04:31 PM

The current DDD sale is actually perfect for this. If we're just talking about the original versions in Japanese w/ English subtitles, DDD usually has ADV & AnimEigo titles at 40% off even before the sale. The sale drops the price down sub-50% of listed price.

Macross:
Box 2:
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ANI002231
- there's suppose to be 3 boxes, but I can't seem to find 1 & 3 on the site

Southern Cross:
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ADV003572

Mospeada:
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ADV003982

Otherwise, these sets should be available at most general on-line retailers.
Old 11-17-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are Southern Cross and Mospeada good series in their original forms?
Old 11-17-04, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by RichardW
Are Southern Cross and Mospeada good series in their original forms?
The plots are pretty much the same. Personally, I was rather blah about Robotech Masters when it first aired, and that feeling pretty much carries over to the Southern Cross dvd set. I mainly got the sets to hear what the original voice acting was like, plus to see what bits and pieces were cut out. Otherwise, there isn't much of a quantum leap from what you see in Robotech and what you get out of the originals.