DVD Talk
Elf [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Elf

KillerQ
11-17-04, 06:28 AM
Hello,

Ok, first off I think it's pathetic that noone will be able to search for the title of this thread, or the movie for that matter (4 character min. is painful sometimes). Anyhow, I picked this up last night.... The fact that it's an infinifilm, and packed with features is awesome... I love the cotton ball eating.! Anyone have anything to say about this new release?

M

Forum Troll
11-17-04, 07:10 AM
The second disc with the same extras and the pan/scan version of the film was pointless, imho. I gave that disc to my neighbors. I plan on using the 2-disc case to house some other movies, to save some space on my shelves. So, it's a win-win situation, me thinks.

steebo777
11-17-04, 07:11 AM
Subpar audio and video from a company that is usually the standard. Good flick though.

ianholm
11-17-04, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by KillerQ
Hello,

Ok, first off I think it's pathetic that noone will be able to search for the title of this thread, or the movie for that matter (4 character min. is painful sometimes). ..

M

Actually if you use the "*" wildcard after the word you can search three letter terms as long as there is something after the word itself. It won't find your thread title since it is only the three characters, but it will find word combos ("elf freebies"). I guess it's better than nothing.

dhillman
11-17-04, 12:10 PM
Odd... I found that the extras were not on the WS disc, but were on the P&S version. I don't think I was doing anything wrong, but the extras on the P&S version are worth keeping it for me.

D

Ejunior2
11-17-04, 06:35 PM
... I love the cotton ball eating.!

Spoiler tags, man. Spoiler tags. ;)

island007
11-17-04, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by KillerQ
Hello,

Ok, first off I think it's pathetic that noone will be able to search for the title of this thread, or the movie for that matter (4 character min. is painful sometimes). Anyhow, I picked this up last night.... The fact that it's an infinifilm, and packed with features is awesome... I love the cotton ball eating.! Anyone have anything to say about this new release?

M

The major reason for the 4 character minimum is "DVD".

Dabaomb
11-18-04, 12:41 AM
Only problem I have with this DVD is that there aren't any subtitles.

Otherwise, best movie of the year. This is why!!! (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=329371&perpage=25&pagenumber=2)

KillerQ
11-18-04, 06:37 AM
Hello....

Sorry, I didn't think that was a spoiler.... but you quoted my "spoiler" so that means you touched it last -- it's yours.. I will also say that there's a part where one of the elves smiles. But I shouldn't mention that -- oops, another spoiler....

j/k

M

DVD Josh
11-18-04, 06:50 AM
Just saw this last night. I thought it had its moments, but otherwise wasn't that great (or funny). I can see it appealing to older kids as an alternative to the usual Christmas fare, but really, I thought it was much too sappy to have any lasting effect for me.

DVD Polizei
11-18-04, 07:36 AM
I wonder if we should enter 3-letter movies with dashes?

E-L-F

This would be five characters, no?

kgrogers1979
11-20-04, 12:32 AM
The scene where he was hit by a car was hilarious. I don't know why but I always bust up laughing when someone is hit by a car.

Zodiac_Speaking
11-20-04, 04:25 AM
I blind buyed this from DDD. I'm 23 and who cares if I'm old, let the magic of Christmas sweep me away every year. I'm sure its good.

JAA
11-20-04, 09:25 AM
Watched it last night and I thought it was simply awful. Even my eleven year old daughter stated, "this sucks, Dad." :thmbsdwn: :thmbsdwn: :thmbsdwn:

JustInsane
11-20-04, 09:33 AM
I watched it last night as well, and thought it was great. I wasn't even considering buying this movie, but it's now on my list of movies I need to buy

uglydebbie
11-20-04, 10:33 AM
I think this movie sucks .. can't understand the above average rating.

uglydebbie
11-20-04, 10:40 AM

acostigan
11-20-04, 10:48 AM
Well, I've been looking forward to seeing this, but after all these sucky "reviews", I'm not sure now. I know that I was all psyched up for Old School and the only thing I liked in that movie was the tranquilizer scene; otherwise, I thought it blew. Now I have a feeling this one's going to be another let down for me.

-AC

scott shelton
11-20-04, 11:35 AM
I think this movie is warm, delightful, and hilarious .. I can understand the above average rating.

MJG87
11-20-04, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by acostigan
Well, I've been looking forward to seeing this, but after all these sucky "reviews", I'm not sure now. I know that I was all psyched up for Old School and the only thing I liked in that movie was the tranquilizer scene; otherwise, I thought it blew. Now I have a feeling this one's going to be another let down for me.

-AC
Hey I didn't like old school or laugh really at all during that movie, but for some strange reason I liked and laughed at this one, I say still give it a chance.

Toad
11-20-04, 12:13 PM
I love the movie - can't wait to get it as a Xmas gift.

Is your 11-year old Jewish?

C.H.U.D.
11-20-04, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by JAA
Watched it last night and I thought it was simply awful. Even my eleven year old daughter stated, "this sucks, Dad." :thmbsdwn: :thmbsdwn: :thmbsdwn:

I'm sorry.

Dabaomb
11-20-04, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by uglydebbie

wow, uglydebbie hated it so much that she had to post it TWICE!!!

I still thought that this was a great movie even if I wasn't in it.

djtoell
11-20-04, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by jonpeters
I blind buyed this from DDD. I'm 23 and who cares if I'm old, let the magic of Christmas sweep me away every year. I'm sure its good.

You're 23 and you think that the past tense of "buy" is "buyed"? ;)

DJ

The Antipodean
11-20-04, 06:37 PM
I quite enjoyed this. Ferrel really threw himself into the movie and made it a lot of fun. Sappy like a Christmas movie should be, but not TOO much so.

Rivero
11-20-04, 07:12 PM
Terrible movie. I dont know why some are so forgiving simply because its a "christmas" flick

Mr. Salty
11-21-04, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Rivero
Terrible movie. I dont know why some are so forgiving simply because its a "christmas" flick
Maybe it isn't so much that we're forgiving, but that we have a different opinion than you do. You know that's possible, right?

Dabaomb
11-21-04, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Rivero

well clearly you are the authority on whether a movie is good or not -rolleyes-

Brain Stew
11-21-04, 10:32 AM
This movie was hilarious. Will Ferrel is the perfect man with arrested development!

The story was a little weak near the ending, but it usually is for comedies. All and all a 4/5 stars.

Sparrow
11-21-04, 10:46 AM
I absolutely enjoyed this movie, didn't think it would be as good as it was. The extras are awesome and the running time was just right.

Sappy, yes, but I love sap towards this time of year. Pick this up or at least give it a rental.

scott shelton
11-21-04, 10:51 AM
Teriffic movie. I now know why some are so forgiving simply because its a "christmas" flick

jeffrey r
11-21-04, 11:02 AM

Sorry, but I feel this warrants a response. I suppose that b/c I am Jewish, I am not supposed to (or not allowed to) enjoy Christmas movies. Obviously that is erroneous.

With respect to Elf, my wife and I enjoyed it in the theater and have it on DVD.

matome
11-21-04, 11:15 AM
I really enjoyed this. The ending couldn't hold up as well as the rest of the movie, but for the most part it was very enjoyable. Will Ferrell can play a great fish-out-of-water. He's just hilarious.

Those cheesily-animated creatures/snowmen in the North Pole reminded me of those Davey and Goliath shows. :)

I usually hate animated DVD menus, but this disc has some of the best ones.

JAA
11-21-04, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Toad
I love the movie - can't wait to get it as a Xmas gift.

No, she's not. It's really very simple. This supposed blockbuster comedy just generated zero laughs in our house. -rolleyes-

Lastblade
11-21-04, 01:35 PM
Bought it blinded, and really enjoyed it. Ferrell had that innocent/stupid act going all the way and he made me laugh with his expression and antics!

devynal
11-21-04, 01:39 PM
Bought it blindly and enjoyed it. Found that it had less comedy than mainstream Christmas comedies, but it still carries that edge that will make it a holiday tradition to watch every year.

ignition
11-21-04, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by JAA
No, she's not. It's really very simple. This supposed blockbuster comedy just generated zero laughs in our house. -rolleyes-

Eh, different strokes for different folks.

I thought it was great, although if you look at my collection you'll find that I find a lot of movies great that many people think are stinkers.

Although, I do find it odd that there wasn't even a smile when the Narwhal popped up...

Just Lurking
11-21-04, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Dabaomb
wow, uglydebbie hated it so much that she had to post it TWICE!!!

I still thought that this was a great movie even if I wasn't in it.

Not only posted it twice but they are her only post since joining in May 2002.

I thought I was a lurker.

Sondheim
11-21-04, 08:16 PM
I saw this last year and enjoyed quite a lot, so I'm excited for my DVD to come in the mail. It'll be fun to show to my nieces and nephews over the holidays too.

Movie_Man
11-22-04, 11:30 AM
Saw this over the weekend as a rental. Well worth the rental, but wouldn't buy it. I laughed at the references to the old Christmas specials.

lopper
11-22-04, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by me12321
It'll be fun to show to my nieces and nephews over the holidays too.

That's the only reason I'm keeping this DVD around. The movie wasn't funny enough for me to sit through it a second time all by myself, but when I have the youngins over I'll probably play it again for them.

They'll go bananas for this shit, I'm sure.

steebo777
11-22-04, 09:30 PM
I'm very surprised not as many people like this as I thought. Ferrell is amazing in this... had me laughing so hard in so many parts. To each his own.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0