DVD Talk
Kino's Ultimate Box Set Collection [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Kino's Ultimate Box Set Collection

Daniel L
11-16-04, 10:15 PM
First Criterion, now Kino. Check out their massive gift set here:

http://www.kino.com/video/item.php?film_id=733

At less than $1000, I can't help but think this is a good deal.

::drools::

PopcornTreeCt
11-16-04, 10:31 PM
Wow. I think that's a better deal.

Yakuza Bengoshi
11-16-04, 11:34 PM
You could get all these box sets individually from DDD for $863.68 after 20% discount.

PopcornTreeCt
11-16-04, 11:44 PM
That's a good deal too. The thing that sucks is that some DVDs are repeated (Nosferatu - German Horror/FW Murnau Box Sets)

Yakuza Bengoshi
11-16-04, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
The thing that sucks is that some DVDs are repeated (Nosferatu - German Horror/FW Murnau Box Sets)

I believe that Nosferatu is the only title that's repeated. Even so the Murnau and German Horror box sets are good bargains over picking up the titles individually.

marty888
11-17-04, 07:22 AM
It's a great collection with a lot of unique gems, but I wonder how many of these they will actually sell.

fnordboy
11-17-04, 09:11 AM
Oh man do I want this. I keep putting off buying the sets. I just don't have the dough to drop on that at once.

Laser Movies
11-17-04, 11:57 AM
Already have several of the box sets listed and see a few more I wouldn't mind getting.

Pressplay
11-17-04, 01:48 PM
I really want ALL of these, but getting them all at once would be too much to handle.

Sex Fiend
11-17-04, 02:00 PM
Hah!!!

Check out that running time: 1,000,000 minutes. It would only take 694 days of movie-watching (at a full 24 hours a day) to view the entire set of movies...

Needless to say, that can't be accurate. Whoever created the page for Kino must not have wanted to calculate the actual run time of all the movies combined. I'm not familiar with many of these films, but I can guarantee there is not 1,000,000 minutes on roughly 65 disks (or about 15,384 minutes per disk).

Raxel
11-17-04, 04:50 PM
Not a deep discount for such large collection. Maybe I'll jump on the boat if it's 50% off. :-D

undergradsfan
11-17-04, 05:45 PM
well, I for one try to avoid kino when possible. I have found that some of their releases, such as dead or Alive 2, is edited (or in this case optically censored).

That said, I suspect I'll order the German Horror box set, and the fanny trilogy..

Yakuza Bengoshi
11-17-04, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by undergradsfan
well, I for one try to avoid kino when possible. I have found that some of their releases, such as dead or Alive 2, is edited (or in this case optically censored).

Dead or Alive 2 has not been edited. The optical fogging was in the film as originally released to comply with the Japanese film code in effect at the time the film was released. You'll find similar optical fogging in Miike releases by other studios.

Daniel L
11-17-04, 06:49 PM
Kino has some great releases. Their classic / silent films are treated with the utmost care. I'm not sure how they handle their contemporary / foreign films. These box sets have some great stuff. I'd kill for the D.W. Griffith Masterworks and the Fritz Lang Epic Collection.

Wannabe
11-17-04, 06:55 PM
No DTS = No sale.

Daniel L
11-17-04, 08:31 PM
No DTS = No sale.

Go away please.

rasalas
11-17-04, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by marty888
It's a great collection with a lot of unique gems, but I wonder how many of these they will actually sell.

This has nothing to do with sales. It's simply a promotional gimmick to get DVD fans talking about Kino--as this thread shows.

Burnt Alive
11-18-04, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by rasalas
This has nothing to do with sales. It's simply a promotional gimmick to get DVD fans talking about Kino--as this thread shows.

Well, Kino needs some love. Their output is just as good as Criterion, but without the fancy spine numbers.

Giles
11-18-04, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Wannabe
No DTS = No sale.

Originally posted by Daniel L
Go away please.

I like your simple blunt retort.

Cameron
11-22-04, 01:21 PM
Kino vs. Criterion is a bad idea. I just wish more companies would take these examples and run with it. Kino silent films...drool...drool...

drjay
11-22-04, 01:51 PM
I just counted the films but I kind of forgot...I think 73? Thats not bad, and a much better avg price than in the CC superset.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0