Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rebel Billionaire - 11.16.04

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rebel Billionaire - 11.16.04

Another good episode. After Branson said his stuff about the ability to take intelligent risk in the early interviews, it seemed likely this was going to be a ruse, especially when the "engineer" was going out of his way to make it sound crazy. I wonder if Branson made similar comments about knowing when to take risk to the contestants like he did to the camera. Good idea to do that early in the show and teach everyone a valuable lesson. Sad to see Sam go, though. Nicole's damn annoying.

das
Old 11-16-04, 08:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
They had me fooled, at first I thought Branson got cold feet when he told them to bring back the barrel. Now that I think about it that barrel looked kind of shabby for a 300 foot drop.
Old 11-16-04, 11:08 PM

This is the most exciting show on tv right now, well until The Amazing Race starts in a couple of minutes.

Chris
Old 11-17-04, 12:58 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screw going over the falls on that barrel, wouldn't do it for anything. No point having a great job if you're disabled from that stunt.
Old 11-17-04, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by josepotato
They had me fooled, at first I thought Branson got cold feet when he told them to bring back the barrel. Now that I think about it that barrel looked kind of shabby for a 300 foot drop.
Yeah they fooled me too, but I did remember him making a point of taking risks. I still would've tossed Nicole after dinner. That was hilarious when she got on the plane. They were so thrilled to see her I hated her and I haven't even seen the premiere. I'll have to go find it somewhere.
Old 11-17-04, 02:57 PM
Cool New Member

Another exciting episode, but the ratings showed no sign of improvement. It really desreved better ratings than "The Biggest Loser".
Old 11-17-04, 02:59 PM
Banned

I hope Nicole gets fired and now I am hoping they show the remaining shows and don't cancel the series.

For a trio of a new reality shows obsessed with money--The Rebel Billionaire, $25 Million Dollar Hoax [sic] and Life of Luxury--the results were pretty chintzy.

Fox's Rebel Billionaire debuted in a tawdry 78th place (5.1 million viewers) for the TV week ended Sunday, according to Nielsen Media Research.

NBC's redundantly titled $25 Million Dollar Hoax (66th place, 7.1 million) and ABC's Life of Luxury (75th place, 5.6 million) likewise failed to impress.

The three shows' down-market debuts underscored the struggles of reality TV this fall.

Even Donald Trump's The Apprentice 2, still a hot water-cooler topic, is down more than 20 percent from last season.

Fortunately, Trump's ego has not been bruised in the fall.

Last week, the real-estate developer turned TV star gloated over the ratings for The Rebel Billionaire, starring Virgin mogul Richard Branson as a sort of outward-bound version of his rival.

"I wish him a lot of luck in the businesses," Trump told TV's Extra. "But I can tell you on television, he's a total failure."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...v_eo/15360&e=1
Old 11-17-04, 03:14 PM

What Trump fails to realize is that people tune in to his show, to see how much more of a f'ing ass he can make out of himself and how much he can degrade the people around him.

At least Branson treats the people around him with respect and is generally sad when he has to 'fire' someone.

And Branson hasn't had to claim bankruptcy for one or more of his businesses like that genius Trump.

Trump is the reason and the only reason I DON'T watch The Apprentice. But he'll get what's coming to him, just like Martha Stewart did!

Chris
Old 11-17-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
where was this located? I hate "reality" shows so I didn't watch, but the commercials with the guy jumping and trying to be caught by the guy hanging over a river looked like the whirlpool section of the Niagara River, looked like they were jumping from the canadian side
Old 11-17-04, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by mikehunt
where was this located? I hate "reality" shows so I didn't watch, but the commercials with the guy jumping and trying to be caught by the guy hanging over a river looked like the whirlpool section of the Niagara River, looked like they were jumping from the canadian side

It was in the Victoria Falls area in Africa. The falls are 3x higher than Niagra Falls.

Chris
Old 11-17-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it had to be a test the moment they showed that "panic button". It reminded me of a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits episode.

Plus on the inside of that capsule they were only held by little straps. You would think they'd at the least have those padded bars like they do on roller coasters to prevent you from flying around. That capsule reminded me of the Jodie Foster movie "Contact".
Old 11-18-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Branson can hire whomever he wants based on whatever criteria but I see little how this is qualification for running several companies on a daily basis. Sure, he has his justifications but did Bill Gates, The Donald, or Steve Jobs have to do anything like this? Makes for somewhat of an interesting show but that's about it.

Branson has a lot of charisma and I had high hopes for this show. But it is too centered on stunts and physical challenges. I'm losing interest.