DVD Talk
Shawshank Redemption Limited Edition OOP? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Shawshank Redemption Limited Edition OOP?

Paris
11-16-04, 09:24 AM
When was this set discontinued? I wanted to buy this as a Xmas gift and was told this set has been discontinued.

typecase
11-16-04, 10:46 AM
I believe it was discontinued because of rights issues with the book. It was first recalled from Canada (for the above reason), then mysteriously disappeared from online retailers. My long standing order with Amazon was finally cancelled despite CS assuring me it wouldn't be after my shipping date kept slipping. :( Your best bet is EBay unless you're lucky enough to find leftovers in a B&M store.

Check this (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=389868&highlight=Shawshank) thread.

steebo777
11-16-04, 11:09 AM
Awesome. I saw on the other thread it was pulled from Canada, but didn't know it was the same for the US. I just saw a copy at my local store. Time to go grab it :D

ShagMan
11-16-04, 12:31 PM
sonova! almost bought that one too. Check the B&M's in my area, all gone.

REL77
11-16-04, 01:13 PM
Gonna have to buy this when i head to BB tonight... Lets hope I can find one :)

marty888
11-16-04, 02:25 PM
It's showing available at DeepDiscount, and if you put it in your cart, it says nothing about it being out of stock or backordered.

PopcornTreeCt
11-16-04, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by marty888
It's showing available at DeepDiscount, and if you put it in your cart, it says nothing about it being out of stock or backordered.

Have a link? Can't find it anywhere. This is the Limited Edition one not the regular 2-disc.

marty888
11-16-04, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Have a link? Can't find it anywhere. This is the Limited Edition one not the regular 2-disc.

My mistake, then - it's the 2-disc that they show available.

RagingBull80
11-16-04, 04:11 PM
The Best Buy right by me has about 4 copies.

Sessa17
11-16-04, 04:12 PM
My Best Buy has nearly a whole shelf full of the LE. At least 20 copies.

Paris
11-16-04, 05:33 PM
I just bought the last four at Best Buy and will wait to see what happens with the price on this one. I did open one up and was impressed with the book that was packages with it.

Sessa17
11-16-04, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Paris
I just bought the last four at Best Buy and will wait to see what happens with the price on this one.

-rolleyes- :rolleyes:

uhhh.

PopcornTreeCt
11-16-04, 06:39 PM
I just bought the last four at Best Buy and will wait to see what happens with the price on this one. I did open one up and was impressed with the book that was packages with it.

Wow, hope you don't live in my town. Nice way to piss a lot of people off.

DonnachaOne
11-16-04, 07:03 PM
I just bought the last four at Best Buy and will wait to see what happens with the price on this one. I did open one up and was impressed with the book that was packages with it. Clap... clap... clap...

Tarantino
11-17-04, 01:15 AM
We have about 6 at my store.

Hey Paris, come snag these ones too.

Perkinsun Dzees
11-17-04, 01:45 AM
Go easy on her. Judging from "The Simple Life," she's not the brightest bulb on the planet.

bmello
11-17-04, 06:42 AM
I did open one up

That wasn't too smart. You just pissed away some of your ebay profits.

steebo777
11-17-04, 07:09 AM
We do live in a capitalistic society, and in this money hungry Bush era, I'm not surprised at all at Paris buying the last four. Good way to make some money. Plus, if you guys really wanted them, you would've already bought them ;)

Michael Corvin
11-17-04, 08:38 AM

well they are going for around $60 on ebay. I'd sell em now.

bmello
11-17-04, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by steebo777
We do live in a capitalistic society, and in this money hungry Bush era,

I thought the 90s was the money hungry era. I think most people know how to make money off OOP DVDs if they want to, its just common courtesy not brag about driving around town drying up the stock. Some folks get offended. I mean if Paris left the four copies on the shelf at Best Buy, someone else would have probably picked them up to sell. This issue has always triggered heated debates and its all a matter of how much someone wants to pat themselves on the back.

Michael Corvin
11-17-04, 01:33 PM
I just think it is a hassle for the money. Drive over there pay $35. Go home, spend time putting it up on ebay. Then there is time and cost of shipping materials. Not worth it for $25 IMO.

ShagMan
11-17-04, 02:00 PM
argh! I looked all over the place trying to find one still on the shelves, no luck. Probably because people buying them up to put them on eBay :(

animatedude
11-17-04, 03:19 PM
i don't get this! was this RECALLED or just LIMITED?

Michael Corvin
11-17-04, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by animatedude
i don't get this! was this RECALLED or just LIMITED?

Didja read the thread? 2nd post... all the way at the top.

:)

Chemical
11-17-04, 04:34 PM
I live in Canada and found out that they weren't releasing the LE edition here so I pre-ordered it from Amazon.com and I have it in my hands right now! Of course, this was earlier in the month, things may have changed since then. I bought it because I truly enjoy the film and have no plans on selling it.

eau
11-18-04, 12:38 AM
I guess this edition is truely what it says - limited edition.

What does the book look like? Is it a novel of some sort or just pictures from the movie?

wastro
11-18-04, 12:45 AM
It's a small book, about the size of a DVD case, that essentially serves as an essay about the adaptation of the novella and how great the movie itself is. The author makes interesting points about the religious undertones throughout the film that I hadn't noticed before and other observations about what makes the film a true classic.

Paris
11-18-04, 08:44 AM
Sorry if I made some of you upset. I didn't know how upety some of you were. I guess I'll not post at this site anymore as I really don't feel all that welcome anymore.

Jon22B
11-18-04, 09:15 AM
Weird. I saw my Best Buy in NY w/ several of these on the self last weekend.

Scott716
11-18-04, 09:34 AM
Maybe I'm being naive here, but Paris never mentioned ebay, first post said christmas gift..which could mean they are all for gifts, and I see nothing wrong in that.

REL77
11-18-04, 11:28 AM
I scored one at BB last night, it was the last one to... Nice

bmello
11-18-04, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Scott716
Maybe I'm being naive here, but Paris never mentioned ebay, first post said christmas gift..which could mean they are all for gifts, and I see nothing wrong in that.

"will wait to see what happens with the price on this one."

Sorry if I made some of you upset. I didn't know how upety some of you were. I guess I'll not post at this site anymore as I really don't feel all that welcome anymore.

Suck it up. Folks have been dishing out abuse on this site for many years now. Every other thread, someone chimes in with "Search is your Friend"

freudian-slip
11-18-04, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the head's up!

I got mine at BB in Grapevine, TX. They had four on the shelf - one was dinged up pretty good, though.

Sessa17
11-18-04, 12:06 PM

:lol: Oh newbies, always good for a chuckle.

Anyway, my local Best Buy in N.J. still has a at least a dozen of these on the shelf still.

Bill Geiger
11-19-04, 06:34 PM
I found a few today.

g
11-19-04, 08:02 PM
I saw this set at best buy and I wasn't impressed with it for my own collection. The only thing that discerns it is its limited availability. It was rather pedestrian for a limited edition set compared to those for some for other movies especially for the price. I was expecting something like master and commander or the aladdin gift set.

PopcornTreeCt
11-20-04, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by g
I saw this set at best buy and I wasn't impressed with it for my own collection. The only thing that discerns it is its limited availability. It was rather pedestrian for a limited edition set compared to those for some for other movies especially for the price. I was expecting something like master and commander or the aladdin gift set.

Well it was never meant to look spectacular, its just that it is limited that has made people get into a dizzy.

Michael Corvin
11-20-04, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by g

Same here. I was one of the fortunate ones that Amazon actually shipped it to. The book is nice, but not worth the extra scratch. Pick up the DVD cheap and head to a used CD shop and get the sdtk for a few bucks.

The book, the first half anyway, is basically, word for word from the documentary on the DVD. Very boring read if you watched that first.

Bokasmo
11-21-04, 04:11 PM
This item was recalled for legal issues. Wasn't a big to-do about anywhere really.

I just bought one, sealed, off Ebay, and i think I got pretty lucky w/ the price.

I AM WONDERING though, without saying how much I paid, what the going price is for this recalled item? If you go over to www.amazon.com , ppl got it listed for auction used starting @ $85+

bboisvert
11-21-04, 04:36 PM
This is really nothing to get excited about. It's the existing 2-disc edition, an existing book, and the existing CD soundtrack. All placed together in a box. All of those things are still in-print. You could order them all via Amazon for not much $$.

The only reason it has been yanked is legal issues with Warner distributing the book. But everything is still available separately.

Even though people tend to pay lots for stuff I don't understand, I can't picture folks shelling out the big bucks for this 'set'. All of the contents are available separately for a pretty good price.

mcarver
11-21-04, 04:53 PM
About the week after it hit the streets... We listed it in our database as "discontinued" on 10/16/04.

When was this set discontinued? I wanted to buy this as a Xmas gift and was told this set has been discontinued.

jiggawhat
11-21-04, 05:07 PM
I am hoping that in a few years I can sell this on EBay for some profit.

Bokasmo
11-21-04, 06:12 PM
I don't care so much about a profit, than getting a good deal.

I just got one shippd for $30. I believe worded the listing weird, which is why not many found it. I think other auctions will end up being much higher.

As for buying the stuff seperately, that is true, but when u got collector's (books, DVDs, Comics, cards, etc...), they like things intact. People pay more for something that's supposed to be together, than put together by someone else.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0