Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Suddenly wishes all his DVDS were the new slimmer style.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Suddenly wishes all his DVDS were the new slimmer style.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-04, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suddenly wishes all his BOX SETS were the new slimmer style.

I've noticed this new slimmer style box sets (I love Lucy Season 2), and I love em since they save so much space, and are very easy to access and open. I've also notices while walking through the store that the newer season box sets of Herc and Xena are much smaller than the older. I'm not sure if it's # of discs or just a new trend to make things smaller. But does anyone else notice this?

When did this happen. Does anyone have any news links about the smaller snap case style? I'm curious who started it and if it looks like the trend will continue.

::EDIT, had to change the title. It was misleading::

Last edited by Teremei; 11-15-04 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-14-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too love the thin cases. Hopefully this is a trend all box sets will be released in.

Im currently collecting stargate sg1 and the size of the boxes for just 5 dvds is taking way too much shelf space!!! Its almost to the point where ill have to go to ikea and get a second bookcase
Old 11-14-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There was recently an article in Video Store magazine (I think?) that basically indicated that studios may start moving toward the slimmer cases.

Basically, they are overjoyed that people seem to be buying pretty large DVD libraries. But, soon enough, average households are going to have more discs than they can easily store/display. They're trying to make it easy for the 'average folk' who don't have big media rooms to keep buying.
Old 11-14-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not a big fan. They're tolerable when used for box sets, but one of my Family Guy discs has issues sitting on the hub. I'd hate to see them used on regular releases. Difficult to read the spines, and just feel cheaper.
Old 11-14-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They suck. Keepcases Forever!!
Old 11-14-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ya I'm sorry - I think these are neat for the box sets of a series. I am collecting Homicide and I like them slim. The first one I got was the Honeymooners set last Christmas and thought it was the neatest.

But can you imagine having ALL of your DVDs this way? Try looking at a row of 200 of these and see how frustrating it would be to tell what the hell it is you own!
Old 11-15-04, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by naitram
Try looking at a row of 200 of these and see how frustrating it would be to tell what the hell it is you own!
But they'd make a very pretty single shelf.

Seriously, though, I agree they'd be somewhat awkward if they made up your entire collection but I'd love to have some blanks in that size to put some of the more cumbersome tv series(Farscape, Twilight Zone, Dr Who) that I have lots of single discs of. Those three'd save me half a shelf right there.

Don't suppose they sell extras yet though. Anyone know for sure?
Old 11-15-04, 01:39 AM
Banned

I think they're a Godsend.

I would probably own twice as many dvds if they all came in slims.
Old 11-15-04, 01:48 AM

I love the slim cases! They're so much easier to open as compared to the huge fold-out cases that annoy the crap out of me!
Old 11-15-04, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by fumanstan

I'd hate to see them used on regular releases. Difficult to read the spines ...
I agree - fine for box sets, or something like the new Hellboy, but not for individual titles.
Old 11-15-04, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by bluesparrow
Don't suppose they sell extras yet though. Anyone know for sure?
Those $1.00 DVDs at Wal-Mart come in them, but that still seems high to be buying them just for the cases.
Old 11-15-04, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by naitram
But can you imagine having ALL of your DVDs this way? Try looking at a row of 200 of these and see how frustrating it would be to tell what the hell it is you own!
You mean like this?

Old 11-15-04, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
You mean like this?

HOT!!!
Old 11-15-04, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The slim ones are good for a box set (Hellboy), but I wouldn't want to have my whole collection in these... too hard to read the spines to see what I've got.
Old 11-15-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

anything BUT thincases.....keepcases are just fine with me.

Pro-B
Old 11-15-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
anything BUT thincases.....keepcases are just fine with me.

Pro-B

What he said...
Old 11-15-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

to be honest....I really don't care what they come in. as long as the disc plays and lasts more than a few years...I"m in.

but then I don't have storage issues with my library. I have almost 1,800 titles filling up space right now but I also have room for another 1,000 easy. I like planning in advance.

and since our work truck blew it's engine....I doubt I'll be buying dvds for weeks if not longer. when it rains.....sometimes it floods.
Old 11-15-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the slim cases myself. They beat the crap out of the fold out type box sets, and they are a nice space saver. Don't think I'd want my whole collection in slims but I'm definitely not averse to them.
Old 11-15-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Imagine Criterion's Gimme Shelter in a thin case. It couldn't happen - its booklet is thicker than the case. The thin cases are great for box sets, but for individual movies, I prefer the regular amarays.
Old 11-15-04, 05:23 PM

They would have been nice if the concept was practiced four years ago or so and then continued, but right now a large diversity of cases on the shelves would look damn ugly. Not to mention, for the most part, these particular cases are cheap looking.
Old 11-15-04, 05:52 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For TV sets I don't mind the thin cases, take That 70s show, not bad packaging. Hell way better than South Park and married with Children.

As for single movies, I'd rather stick to the keep cases.
Old 11-15-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did nobody here own LPs back in the day? You want to talk about a thin spine! And if you had a good LP collection, you know it wasn't impossible to read those spines. You get used to it. I used to think the thin spines on CDs would be hard to read after owning cassettes, but I got used to it. Your eyes adjust. It's amazing how much it's in your head when you decide that something is just going to be hard or difficult.

And in that pic posted above, I had no problems at all distinguising between the different titles on the shelves.
Old 11-15-04, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by calhoun07
Did nobody here own LPs back in the day? You want to talk about a thin spine! And if you had a good LP collection, you know it wasn't impossible to read those spines. You get used to it.

I once had over 2,000 LP's and I could tell what was what from across the room....based on spine color and art alone. it helped that I was as insane then as I am now when it comes to filing titles. I can find anything blindfolded.
Old 11-15-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Slim cases = No inserts = Dvdtalk decending into anarchy.
Old 11-15-04, 07:58 PM

I have cabinets that wrap the entire perimeter of my extra bedroom. if I keep buying the way I do in a year or so I'm going to be adding aisles in the room created by more of the cabinets. I wouldn't mind the slim cases at all. or maybe I should build a nice 25 x 25 addition on my house.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.