Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about different versions of Reservoir Dogs?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-04, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently sold my old version of Reservoir Dogs (The original "non special edition" version without 16x9 enhancement).

I want to buy the 2 disc Special Edition version. The Special Edition I see readily available at most stores is the version that has all of the different "Misters" on the cover together with the corresponding colors behind each of their heads. I look at the specs for this version and it is listed as a 1 disc version. Are the only versions that were 2 discs the ones that were with each character by themselves on the cover, example: Mr White edition, Mr. Orange edition etc.? I really hate "Flipper" discs and was excited that I could own this movie with Anamorphic video and a single sided disc.
Old 11-14-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
All of the remastered discs are the same. Each came in that keepcase with the multiple head shots on it, and then were packaged separately in different slipcovers for the "Mr. xxxx Edition", etc. Later, Artisan started selling it in just the keepcase without the slipcovers.

The discs should all be the same (it is a 2-disc set). I'm not aware of them repressing it into a dual-sided release.
Old 11-14-04, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Josh Z
All of the remastered discs are the same. Each came in that keepcase with the multiple head shots on it, and then were packaged separately in different slipcovers for the "Mr. xxxx Edition", etc. Later, Artisan started selling it in just the keepcase without the slipcovers.

The discs should all be the same (it is a 2-disc set). I'm not aware of them repressing it into a dual-sided release.
On dvdplanet and other websites it is listed as a one disc dvd. They might just be mistaken but I definately do not want a 1 disc dual sided version when I can get a 2 disc single sided version.

Here is the link:

http://www.dvdplanet.com/search_titl...reservoir+dogs

I hope it is ok that I posted the link as reference.
Old 11-14-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked up that DVD used. The one with all of the head shots. It had 2 discs, one was widescreen, one P/S and both with features. I can't imagine that they would repackage them.
Old 11-14-04, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by C_Fletch
I just picked up that DVD used. The one with all of the head shots. It had 2 discs, one was widescreen, one P/S and both with features. I can't imagine that they would repackage them.

I hope that you are right. Did you check out the link and see what I was talking about where it has only 1 disc listed. I have seen it listed as 1 disc on other websites as well. On your dvd does it say on the back of the cover that it is a 2 disc dvd?
Old 11-14-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

on the back at the top it says 2-disc set, like this...

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...9&tab=5&back=1
Old 11-15-04, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by scarredgod
on the back at the top it says 2-disc set, like this...

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...9&tab=5&back=1
Thank You for the link. The UPCs are the same, so Dvd Planet must just have the disc count wrong. I appreciate the help.
Old 11-15-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the disc that DVD Planet is showing and it is one disk, its widescreen so probably the same as disc one in the other set. Its a single side one disc.
Old 11-15-04, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by cseyer
I have the disc that DVD Planet is showing and it is one disk, its widescreen so probably the same as disc one in the other set. Its a single side one disc.

The one on Dvd Planet is only a widescreen single sided disc? It says in the Dvd Planet specs that it contains both widescreen and full screen. So they are definately wrong about the full screen version being on there? As long as I do not get a "flipper" disc then I will be happy.
Old 11-15-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what it's worth, Best Buy is going to have the two-disc "Reservoir Dogs" on sale this week for $7.50.
Old 11-15-04, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
For what it's worth, Best Buy is going to have the two-disc "Reservoir Dogs" on sale this week for $7.50.
I did not see the 2 disc reservoir dogs at my best buy. Is it a national sale?
Is it one of the "Mr X" versions or the one one with all of the characters faces on the cover?
Old 11-15-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,286 Likes on 1,549 Posts

The 2 disc version has the extras spread over both the widescreen and full screen discs. So, wouldn't the one disc version be missing some extras? Unless the disc was reauthored to include all the extras (unlikely).
Old 11-15-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SWR 1
Is it one of the "Mr X" versions or the one one with all of the characters faces on the cover?
The "Mr. xxx" versions were limited editions and have been discontinued. The only version still in print is the one without a slipcover, though some stores may still have the slipcovered versions in stock.
Old 11-16-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cultshock
The 2 disc version has the extras spread over both the widescreen and full screen discs. So, wouldn't the one disc version be missing some extras? Unless the disc was reauthored to include all the extras (unlikely).
Weird. The only time that I've seen this before is on double sided single layer discs where widescreen and some features are one on side and fullscreen and other features are on the other. Are both of the discs dual-layered?
Old 11-16-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Peep
Weird. The only time that I've seen this before is on double sided single layer discs where widescreen and some features are one on side and fullscreen and other features are on the other. Are both of the discs dual-layered?
Yes, they're both dual-layered. Artisan did the same thing with Glengarry Glen Ross.