DVD Talk
The Rock: To Criterion or to Not Get Criterion? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : The Rock: To Criterion or to Not Get Criterion?

Megalion
11-14-04, 05:22 AM
I want to get this movie and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra money to buy the criterion.

Obviously the answer would be Criterion!

<b>EXCEPT</b> that unless the extras are captioned/subtitled... is it really worth it after all for a deaf person?

Would appreciate honest answers. Is there anything in the extras that is worth having even if I couldn't understand the words?

I.e. the recent trend of fact trivia tracks has been a godsend for me. Or sometimes extras ARE captioned (THANKS PARAMOUNT!! YOU ROCK!!)....

eau
11-14-04, 05:41 AM
Get the Rock Criterion. It is a 2-disc set with tons of extras and it's anamorphic! Especially with the 20% off at DDD, it's no brainer ;)

Megalion
11-14-04, 05:50 AM
that kind of answer does NOT help me...

are there any extras that are subtitled?? or are otherwise worthwhile to a deaf person?

blessthemess
11-14-04, 08:11 AM
Do you like THE ROCK THAAAAAAT much?
Is it worth paying the OOP -OTT- price?

Jason
11-14-04, 09:22 AM
I don't have it, but I seriously doubt that the extras on the criterion would have subtitles/closed captioning.

ftsoh
11-14-04, 09:54 AM
Criterion never ever subtiltled nor close captioned supplemental material, unless it's in foreign language. Therefore, The Rock only has the feature subtitled. So you can forget about it and just get the regular version.

I always do wish studios can at least close captioned supplemental materials but all the requests seem fell into deaf ears (pun intended).

Megalion
11-14-04, 09:57 AM
thanks ftsoh... that's what I suspected...

I knew Criterion hadn't done it on their earlier stuff but I haven't been keeping as close tabs in the past year or so.

Romerojpg
11-14-04, 10:06 AM
Couldnt you still enjoy the special features?
there's plenty of fun things in the dvd yes they may not be subtitled, but I guess they will still be watchable and fun for you.

I watch extras on asian dvds and they have no subtitles at all and I still watch and find a lot to enjoy. :)

Hokeyboy
11-14-04, 10:15 AM
Criterion's The Rock ain't OOP.

Megalion
11-14-04, 10:17 AM
i could but at this point I'm tired of inaccessible dvd extras and at the point where i'll be damned if I reward Criterion with my money without anything decent to show for it.

esp since I can and will be buying several other dvds with the difference!

Again thanks all.

Tarantino
11-14-04, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Criterion's The Rock ain't OOP.

That's what I was thinking.

Brain Stew
11-14-04, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Megalion
i could but at this point I'm tired of inaccessible dvd extras and at the point where i'll be damned if I reward Criterion with my money without anything decent to show for it.

I don't think I'd put it that way. The Rock CC transfer is still incredible.

steebo777
11-14-04, 09:37 PM
The Rock: CC rocks my world :hump:

PopcornTreeCt
11-14-04, 09:44 PM
Extras that aren't subtitled or no extras at all? Decisions, decisions.

tinlunlau
11-15-04, 07:02 PM
the extras on the criterion were ridiculous. esp. that video about handling guns.

Artman
11-15-04, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by tinlunlau
the extras on the criterion were ridiculous. esp. that video about handling guns.

Watching Ed Harris come unglued on the set is a sight to see. I watched it again last night.

Fok
11-15-04, 07:37 PM
I'd still pick up the CC.....if you smell what I'm cookin!

groovrbaby
11-15-04, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Artman
Watching Ed Harris come unglued on the set is a sight to see. I watched it again last night.

Watching Ed Harris freak out like that was creepy. I watched Radio after watching that....I kept thinking Harris was gonna abuse poor Radio.

bjh_18
11-15-04, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Brain Stew
The Rock CC transfer is still incredible.

Yeah, and anamorphic (unlike the regular release, if I recall correctly. That's the main reason why I picked up the Criterion release. I don't even have a widescreen tv (besides my computer moniter/tv), but I know I will have.

Sonic
11-15-04, 09:17 PM
The regular Rock version (Miramax) SUCKS. It has poor image quality compared to the Criterion version! Do you want widescreen or you want widescreen with gray bars? Criterion baby!

-ant

digitalfreaknyc
11-15-04, 09:42 PM
Just an FYI...the only release where the DTS track is actually WORSE than the DD 5.1.

DonnachaOne
11-15-04, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Just an FYI...the only release where the DTS track is actually WORSE than the DD 5.1. I don't need dts to hear the crystal-clear sound of that can of worms being opened...

Sonic
11-15-04, 10:28 PM
I agree...the DTS track on the Criterion is mediocre.

-ant

nightmaster
11-15-04, 11:39 PM
Megalion, if you are a member of the Blockbuster online rental service you could rent it and decide for yourself if it's worth it to you to buy. I will give BB credit for one thing, they seem to be good about carrying different versions of titles that have been re-released.

Tarantino
11-16-04, 01:34 AM
Just an FYI...the only release where the DTS track is actually WORSE than the DD 5.1.

FYI...the guy's deaf. I don't think he gives a shit about DTS.

steebo777
11-16-04, 09:08 AM
This is very true. I don't know how they actually botched the DTS audio on this, but they did.

Fartface
11-16-04, 09:25 AM
Don't bother, the extras are worthless. About the only interesting things are the outtakes. But if you really like this crap, then buy it from 2nd spin at half price. Like Armageddon, and some of the other 'Hollyweed' crap they've released, you can always find it cheap.

RockStrongo
11-16-04, 09:37 AM
This should be an easy choice.

Criterion

Anamorphic, DTS and extra features

Even if you do not have a widescreen tv, think about the future!

You will want these options then.

mikewendt
11-16-04, 09:39 AM
The Rock: Criterion is a excelent DVD set. Highly recommend it.

digitalfreaknyc
11-16-04, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Tarantino
FYI...the guy's deaf. I don't think he gives a shit about DTS.

FYI...I'm well aware. However, I'm guessing all the people in this thread and/or reading it are not.

Megalion
11-16-04, 06:33 PM
Yes this GAL is deaf but hmmm video quality is different? That's a reason to go Criterion for me... also I don't need to understand the words to be amused at "Ed harris becomes unglued"...

I guess I will go Criterion after all.

Heheh it's funny cause when I get to the point that I have my own home theater... I'm not sure what I'll do about the audio portion since I can hear some with my hearing aid but not anywhere well enough to discern quality difference. BUT I do like it when I can feel the sound for explosions and stuff. Plus any company I have might appreciate decent sound. Well that's a bridge to cross later.

Kerborus
11-16-04, 08:01 PM
Greatest comedy ever! I say go Criterion!

undergradsfan
11-16-04, 09:30 PM
Well I have to say, owning the criterion version of the rock, and having seen the stock version I am a great deal more partial to the Criterion version. Aside from the cool extras, but as brain stew said the transfer is stunning.

odyas
11-17-04, 09:16 AM
Abit out topic here, but when do you think Miramax is gonna rerelease The Rock in a regular SE? I like Criterion but i don't dig the high price.

Geofferson
11-17-04, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by mikewendt
The Rock: Criterion is a excelent DVD set. Highly recommend it.
Agreed - it is an impressive DVD.

WhiskyDrinker
11-17-04, 01:54 PM
what you need to find is a walmart ad that shows the CRITERION ROCK listed at $15, when really its the normal ROCK.

Then get Futureshop to price match it
(in canada - i did that)

The Rock: CC for 10% off a 15.99 was the best deal ive ever got. If you are willling to spend the cash, you cannot go wrong with the Criterion. It will last forever.

undergradsfan
11-17-04, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by odyas
Abit out topic here, but when do you think Miramax is gonna rerelease The Rock in a regular SE? I like Criterion but i don't dig the high price.

Well it is buena vista that put it out, but I wouldn't bet on there being a vista series version. Why? I would bet there was a clause in the deal criterion prohibiting it.

Leon Liew
11-18-04, 01:08 AM
Ah, The Rock- Criterion Collection "My Preciousssssss"

eisenreich
11-18-04, 01:23 AM
Another thumbs-up for The Rock - CC
After watching it recently, I forgot how much profanity was in the film. Any other movies where Connery curses like a sailor?

wastro
11-18-04, 01:48 AM
I saw this for the first time with a bunch of speech and debate nerds in high school, and it was like watching the film with a really awful Mystery Science Theater 3000 commentary. Luckily, I revisited the film recently and enjoyed it immensely; I even picked up the CC from DDD this week -- it's definitely worth it.

metaridley
11-18-04, 01:50 AM
DTS, and Criterion-quality special features. If you are even thinking of owning The Rock, get the Criterion Edition. I highly recommend it as well - one of my absolute favorite DVDs.

Abob Teff
11-18-04, 11:46 AM
Well, at $6 it was a no brainer for me . . . (anybody else remember the K-Mart raincheck fiasco years ago?)

Oh yeah, worth it alone for the Ed Harris meltdown (not as good as Billy Bob Thornton's description of Armageddon though . . . )

Snowmaker
11-20-04, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by steebo777
The Rock: CC rocks my world :hump: Is it worth $20? My local used record store had two of them.

fumanstan
11-20-04, 07:09 PM
For 20 bucks, i think it is if you enjoy the movie. Worth it over the 10-15 for the barebones edition out there.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0