Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How come theatrical movies produced in DTS don't always come out on DVD that way?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How come theatrical movies produced in DTS don't always come out on DVD that way?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-04, 01:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

And why are so few DVD's produced without DTS when I think it is a superior sound to Dolby Digital 5.1 (no offense)? I know it takes more amount of disc space, but so what, so many times DTS is a high selling point as opposed to some other special features. Doesn't DTS rank as high on the list of most wanted special features? I don't think it could cost too much more to even put out a double disc if the first is sequestered just for the movie.

Anyone...
Old 11-12-04, 01:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scott, the search feature is your friend. I doubt anyone here has the energy to have this discussion for the 500th time.

...and you're a Special Edition member
Old 11-12-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick answer: DTS needs a lot more space than DD especially at full bitrate. Also, a good percentage of people out there probably don't have the (relatively) newer equipment to play DTS streams, while DD is pretty much standard.
Old 11-12-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also seem to remember hear some 15 dozen times DTS in theaters isn't the same as DTS for home theaters.
Old 11-12-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Joe Molotov
I also seem to remember hear some 15 dozen times DTS in theaters isn't the same as DTS for home theaters.
That is your answer. The sound used in theaters whether it be Dolby or DTS is completely different.
Old 11-12-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Green, it's hard to search for "dts". Even "dts*".

Scott, dts isn't actually much of a selling point for your average Wal-mart shoopper. A lot of people don't notice much of a difference. dts on most DVDs is half-bitrate and usually just sounds like the dd track with a little more clarity and some new minor subtleties; don't get me wrong, there are a lot of exceptions. However, at this point I won't buy a version of a DVD just because it's the dts version; I'll wait for a review first.
Old 11-12-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
what he said
Old 11-12-04, 03:39 PM
Banned

Re: How come theatrical movies produced in DTS don't always come out on DVD that way?

Ok, since DonnachaOne is right about the search thing, I'll throw in my $.02 (again)

Originally posted by scott1598
it is a superior sound to Dolby Digital 5.1 (no offense)?
While I agree that it is, a very small portion of the public has the equipment to play it, and further more has quality equipment where you can notice the difference.

I know it takes more amount of disc space, but so what, so many times DTS is a high selling point as opposed to some other special features. Doesn't DTS rank as high on the list of most wanted special features?
For reasons listed above, you are wrong here. The vast majority of the DVD consumers couldn't care less about DTS, or even know what it is. So when DVD producers are weighing the special features, and video quality, DTS will often get left behind.

I don't think it could cost too much more to even put out a double disc if the first is sequestered just for the movie.
That is the mindset of CTS with their Superbit Deluxe discs. While I agree that this is the best way to produce a DVD, you are wrong that it doesn't cost much more. Sure the per disc cost isn't great, but when you multiply that by millions of discs produced, it really adds up.

Anyway, this argument will someday be a thing of the past as soon as the HD-DVD formats take over. They have the space available and have been mandated to all carry both formats, and can even accommodate their higher resolutions and bit rates.
Old 11-12-04, 03:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: Re: How come theatrical movies produced in DTS don't always come out on DVD that way?

Originally posted by Green Jello
Ok, since DonnachaOne is right about the search thing, I'll throw in my $.02 (again)

While I agree that it is, a very small portion of the public has the equipment to play it, and further more has quality equipment where you can notice the difference.

For reasons listed above, you are wrong here. The vast majority of the DVD consumers couldn't care less about DTS, or even know what it is. So when DVD producers are weighing the special features, and video quality, DTS will often get left behind.

That is the mindset of CTS with their Superbit Deluxe discs. While I agree that this is the best way to produce a DVD, you are wrong that it doesn't cost much more. Sure the per disc cost isn't great, but when you multiply that by millions of discs produced, it really adds up.

Anyway, this argument will someday be a thing of the past as soon as the HD-DVD formats take over. They have the space available and have been mandated to all carry both formats, and can even accommodate their higher resolutions and bit rates.
well, if you say the average consumer (Walmart shopper) couldn't care less about DTS or even have the equipment to utilize DTS, why would they care about something as superior as HD-DVD, much less buy the equipment for that as well??
Old 11-12-04, 03:59 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: How come theatrical movies produced in DTS don't always come out on DVD that way?

well, if you say the average consumer (Walmart shopper) couldn't care less about DTS or even have the equipment to utilize DTS, why would they care about something as superior as HD-DVD, much less buy the equipment for that as well??
In the early days of the format, they won't. At first it will only exist in the high-end of home theater consumers. Then after a while, the pricing will come down and non HD DVD equipment will disappear all together.
Old 11-12-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: How come theatrical movies produced in DTS don't always come out on DVD that way?

Then after a while, the pricing will come down and non HD DVD equipment will disappear all together.
You mean like VCRs? Because I still see them for sale...
Old 11-12-04, 04:21 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How come theatrical movies produced in DTS don't always come out on DVD that way

Originally posted by DrGerbil
You mean like VCRs? Because I still see them for sale...
That's not the same thing. HD-DVD players will play the old non-HD discs. Once the HD units are cheap enough, there is no reason to have both.
Old 11-12-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Re: How come theatrical movies produced in DTS don't always come out on DVD that way?

No, they are not required to carry DTS. The players have to be able to pass a DTS bitstream, but that doesn't mean that every disc will have DTS. I hope that if they do have enough space, they will often include it, but that remains to be seen.

Heck, why don't DVDs have SDDS? Lots of movies had it in the theater!
Old 11-12-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Isn't DTS the standard for either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?
Old 11-12-04, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
Isn't DTS the standard for either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?
Both. That was one of my points above.
Old 11-12-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How come theatrical movies produced in DTS don't always come out on DVD that way?

Originally posted by Drexl
No, they are not required to carry DTS. The players have to be able to pass a DTS bitstream, but that doesn't mean that every disc will have DTS.
There's a lot of conflicting information on this point. What you state is the way I interpreted the press release as well, however DTS is insistent that their sound format will be mandatory on every HD-DVD and Blu-Ray disc.
Old 11-12-04, 07:06 PM

There's a lot of conflicting information on this point. What you state is the way I interpreted the press release as well, however DTS is insistent that their sound format will be mandatory on every HD-DVD and Blu-Ray disc.
Is that on first or second generation players? They'll probably be working on thier codec or something when the first generation units arrive, just like DVD. ;-)

fitprod
Old 11-12-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm surprised no one said this yet, but I've always thought that the answer was that they came with DTS and DD to be compatible with whatever setup the individual theater was using.
Old 11-12-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,501 Posts
Heck, why don't DVDs have SDDS? Lots of movies had it in the theater!
You'd need a damn big home theatre to make practical use of two front left and two front right speakers. (but I wish I had a home theatre that big )

I'm surprised no one said this yet, but I've always thought that the answer was that they came with DTS and DD to be compatible with whatever setup the individual theater was using.
One of my local theatres uses DTS around 50% of the time, while the other two never do (they obviously don't have a DTS setup). And SDDS? Forget it, not in my neighbourhood.