Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Halo 2 Ruff Gaming Guide, the UNwritten Rules and Strategies

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-04, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halo 2 Ruff Gaming Guide, the UNwritten Rules and Strategies

DVDTalk Emblem:

I got tired of reading all the pages of this discussion and decided to try and summarize all the shared ideas, concepts, strategies, and weapons information I could pull out of the DVDTalk Halo 2 Threads.

This is a really ruff draft, but as there really aren’t any good strategy guides out there for Halo 2 that I could find, I hope this can do until a better one is written that we can refer to. Please ignore the cut and paste mistakes, repetitive ideas, and the poor organization, it’s just better to have the random information shared in one place and not all on 20 pages mixed with “invite me to the clan”.

HALO 2 Shared Information

TALKING:

Talk! This cannot be emphasized enough. Talk to your team, keep the chatter up to help your comrades, and taunt the enemy. “

Instead of always having to push the white button to talk to members in your party, you can also push up on the game pad & it does the same thing. This can be especially helpful for those of you who are using "The Duke" instead of the "S" as I am doing.

If you are standing next to someone, you should be able to talk to them because of proximity voice. If you are talking real strategy, though, you definitely need to hit the white button.

HiJACKING VEHICLES:

Take turns with a friend and learn to hijack the vehicles.

Regarding jacking vehicles, I'm under the impression that you don't have to hit the 'X' button at that exact moment. You can just be holding it when the vehicle is coming at you. However, there are optimum positions to be for the different vehicles I believe.

I know when you are going up to a turret/hog/ghost/whatever if you just hold the X button as you are going on to it. You don't have to go up to it and then hit X.

You can also jack a tank and the wraith vehicle and attach a plasma grenade to it and jump off. Of course, this usually wastes the vehicle.

BTW, for those that haven't figured out jacking: A message pops up to hit X to jump on board when a vehicle is moving slow enough near you. After you jump on, hit B to knock them out and steal it. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

STRATEGIES:

When we were playing CTF, I grabbed a shotgun and protected the flag. It was boring on my end, but they never ONCE got our flag.

Also, I think as a general tip, we should try to stick together. If you get re-spawned next to somebody, you should follow one another. Do not underestimate the power of moving in packs. Four guns are a lot more effective than two!

Team games are called that for a reason. Pick your wingman and stick by his side no matter what. If you come across a lone enemy, one of you may go down, but you are practically guaranteed to take them out as well.

Defending your base, crouch so the enemy does not know you are there.

If you are standing next to someone, you should be able to talk to them because of proximity voice. If you are talking real strategy, though, you definitely need to hit the white button.

"Chat early, chat often. Lots of dead time on the air seemed to lead to lots of dead Spartans on the ground.
Know your color. I can’t tell you how many times I was shot (and sometimes killed) by friendly fire from folks who didn’t seem to know what team they were on

Don't stand still.

Always look around. Then, look some more.

Keep to the high ground. It's easier to jump on unsuspecting enemies.

A dead teammate marker (red cross) isn't always a bad thing. Head that way, if possible. You might find the enemy with his shield still down from his encounter with your teammate.

You don’t have to dual wield. It is very very cool, but a well-placed grenade followed by a burst of SMG fire will do the trick faster as well as give you an easier way to flush those campers out of the blind spots.

You don’t need to start holding down X when you see the prompt to interact with things. You can start holding it down well before you need to, and when you get within range of an interactive thing (like getting into a warthog or opening the gate in Zanzibar), it will activate instantly.

If you don’t have 5.1 and are using your TV’s crappy speakers, try using headphones instead. The stereo separation is more pronounced when using headphones, so you can more easily tell where sounds are coming from. Master Chief walks fairly quietly, but for those no-radar games, this can give you the edge you need to win."

"Get to know the controls, maps, and weapons. There are specific advantages unique to each map. Be patient and learn from death

As for getting better at playing on teams, find a friend who does a bit better on teams and have him show you the ropes—or at least just follow him around, do what he does, and see what the good strategies are.

Use your ears … many times you can hear others jumping or coming up lifts, and if you are prepared … they are dead.

Keep ammo in your shotgun … nothing like going on a rampage, and then being forced to reload when you have two guys on your back!

In CTF, you can 'throw' the flag if you are sure you are going to die. Just jump and throw the flag, so that one of your teammates can have a chance at it.

Get the Carbine weapon on Ivory Tower behind the crates on the first floor, below the upper level entry, near the shotgun area with two vents.

The Plasma Pistol in Halo you could pretty much drop a Spartan or Elite’s shields with one fully charged blast. Couple that with a dual-wielded SMG in Halo 2, and you can take out another player in about half-a-second flat. This works especially well on Ivory Tower."

"Whenever you hit a quiet moment, reload (X). It sucks to empty a clip after five shots in an intense fire fight and then get beat down.

Adjust your Look Sensitivity (in Settings/Controls) to higher than default (I prefer 8) to make sure you can turn fast enough to catch people coming up behind you.
Practice makes perfect.

Take time to explore all of the levels by yourself or with a friend. Learn how the environments work, such as the catwalk and steel shutters in Zanzibar and where the flags and bases are placed in the game variants.
Take turns with a friend and learn the weapons, including how many hits it takes from each to defeat your opponent

In team games, sometimes the best defense is a good offense. Most offensive teams won’t expect one or two guys to suddenly rain fiery death upon them before they have a chance to get organized. In a four-person team, have two people guard your base and send two to confront the enemy, before they even get close, and keep the upper hand

Understand the rules of the game variant and how to exploit them. For example, if there is a Flag or Bomb Reset Time in CTF or Assault of 30 seconds, and the Flag/Bomb is dropped in an open area, make sure you at least pick up the dropped flag for a second before the 30 seconds is up—even if it means getting killed—so the reset time starts over and the Flag/Bomb stays in play without being returned.

Use the radar and remember that a crouching soldier cannot be seen on radar

"All of the maps have multiple angles of attack, no matter where you are on the map, and many times they are out of range of your motion tracker, so you always need to keep a keen eye on who’s sneaking up behind you. Twirl that hulking mass of hot, sexy Spartan armor around like a ballerina and keep track of the full 360.

Hop into the gunner/turret seat of a vehicle that your opponent is driving. As a personal chauffeur, he can't touch you, but you can still fire away at his team members

Enemy Finder - Pair one person with Needlers with a player carrying a sniper rifle. Fire the Needlers in a direction that you think the enemy is hiding. If they curve away from their standard path, you've found someone. Have the sniper shoot in the direction the Needler went."

"Wield two weapons, but only fire one at a time for better accuracy. Once one weapon runs out of ammo, switch to shooting the second, so you don’t have to reload.

Sneaking up on an opponent can yield a quick melee shot to the back that is an instant kill

Use the rocket launcher to guard the flag on CTF

Never give up running down a flag runner. Your team can come up with unexpected delays for the runner, and I have seen games decided at the flag plant location with the offensive team denied a point right at the scoring location on the beach.

WEAPONS & USAGE:

Take turns with a friend and learn the weapons, including how many hits it takes from each to defeat your opponent

Weapons and Ammo Info Link:
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/..._2_weapons.txt

Melee:
One tap to the back of the head is all you need

Covenant Sword:
The Covenant sword is an excellent weapon in tight, winding hallways (think of the Ivory Tower's hallways). The hallways not only make it hard for the person to backpedal away from you, but they also keep them close enough to get a lock on them. Ninety-degree corners are great ambush spots.

Make sure to use both the standard and melee attacks of the Covenant sword. They are different.

Remember if you have the sword and let the reticle hover over someone it turns red. When that happens, pull the trigger. You'll lunge like 10 feet and kill them in one hit. It's dodge able but tough to do.

Many folks seemed to either stand still or even charge me when I had the sword. Remember: Distance is your friend when fighting against the sword, so throw it into reverse and keep a bead on the Elite’s head."

Ii]Pistol[/I]
Dual wielded pistols are nearly impossible to beat at close range. Fire for the head or chest, alternating triggers as fast as you can, and your opponent will be knocked backward so much that he won't be able to recover.

Plasma Pistol:
One of the best things about the Plasma Pistol in Halo was that you could pretty much drop a Spartan or Elite’s shields with one fully charged blast. Couple that with a dual-wielded SMG in Halo 2, and you can take out another player in about half-a-second flat. This works especially well on Ivory Tower."

Battle Rifle:
Don’t discount the Battle Rifle just because you can’t play Rambo with it. Instead, think S.W.A.T. A few well-placed shots will take out the other guy well before he can do any serious damage to you, and aside from the sniper rifle, nothing else has that 'reach out and smack someone' power. On top of that, you can zoom in for those long-range pot shots across the map, which works well to disrupt the other team’s flow in an attack."

Needlers:
"Dual-wielded Needlers are deadly from a distance. Don't try to use them up-close though. By the time you fill someone full of Needles up-close, they'll have taken you out as well, and the only good fight is one you can walk away from

The Needler makes an excellent 'enemy finder.' Pair one person with Needlers with a player carrying a sniper rifle. Fire the Needlers in a direction that you think the enemy is hiding. If they curve away from their standard path, you've found someone. Have the sniper shoot in the direction the Needler went."

Grenade:
Always lob a grenade into the waterfall "pit" in Ivory Tower when you pass it. Seven times out of ten someone is in there either hiding or collecting the rocket launcher
Plasma Grenade:
Use the black button to switch between plasma grenades and grenades. Plasma stick to things and regular just go BOOM!

Sniper Rifle:
The Needler makes an excellent 'enemy finder.' Pair one person with Sniper Rifle and one with a player carrying Needlers. Fire the Needlers in a direction that you think the enemy is hiding. If they curve away from their standard path, you've found someone. Have the sniper shoot in the direction the Needler went."

Shotgun:
The shotgun is great for close, pointblank encounters

Rocket Launcher:
Use the rocket launcher to guard the flag on CTF

When using rockets: Splash damage is better than direct hits. Fire at the ground a little forward of your opponent's position and time their jumps.

MAPS & GAME TYPES

Ivory Tower:
This map takes a little while to learn. There are many ways to approach playing the map, but generally higher is better. Look for rockets under the water. Bomb the other team on Assault.

Lockout:
This was the grenade fest map in the Alpha, and it turned into a bloody Plasma Sword slash map in the Beta. Learn to jump for CTF wins

Game Types:
Slayer: Do abbreviated circuits of the map that include the spawn point of your favorite weapons.

Team Slayer: Hold a defendable point. The opposition will always come and always leave more ammo and new weapons on their departure.

Territory holding: Camping isn't always a bad thing. Try to find two territories to hold that are close together and just guard those.

King of the Hill: If you're the King the Hill, crouch and stay close to the boundary. The opposition will know someone is in the area already, so there's no need to help them further.

Capture The Flag: Creeping into the enemy base may keep you off enemy radar. If defending, the hog is the most dangerous object to watch out for. If you can take control, park it somewhere inconvenient to the attackers. Blowing it up can cause it to respawn.

Oddball: Keep to areas that cause the most inconvenience to your opponent(s). For example, if you're near elevators: Take elevator up when enemy comes close and drop back down when he comes up. Repeat.

edit 11/15/04

Last edited by oldone; 11-15-04 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-12-04, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent Post.
Old 11-12-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I would edit the part about hijacking vehicles. You only have to hold X, you don't have to do anything else to steal a vehicle. And you cannot jump on, stick a grenade to it, and jump off. A couple of us spent about half an hour trying to do that. The only thing you can do is either pull the person out and jump off, or pull the person out and climb on. And I think that depends on the vehicle. No matter what buttons I pushed, every single time I hijack a ghost, the only thing I do is kick the person off and climb on.

X
Old 11-12-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know I've had the 'stick a grenade' option online. Maybe it's vehicle specific?
Old 11-12-04, 10:10 AM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent Faq!
Old 11-12-04, 10:13 AM

If you are defending your base, crouch so the enemy does not know you are there.
Old 11-12-04, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by Gromit
I know I've had the 'stick a grenade' option online. Maybe it's vehicle specific?
It only works on the tank and the wraith.
Old 11-12-04, 10:46 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by cowboy
It only works on the tank and the wraith.
AHA! I thought people were blowing smoke. We only tried it on the ghost and the warthog. Can't do it on either of those, to my knowledge. We tried forever. Thanks for the info!

X
Old 11-12-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was trying the hijack a ghost from a grunt and i just stood in front of it. When it hit me it didn't even hurt me it just pushed me I just held X from there and took it
Old 11-12-04, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by glassdragon
I was trying the hijack a ghost from a grunt and i just stood in front of it. When it hit me it didn't even hurt me it just pushed me I just held X from there and took it
That's one of my complaints about Halo 2. It seems really difficult to kill people by running them over with vehicles. We were playing around and hitting someone with the ghost doesn't even knock your shields down all the way. The only way you will kill someone is if you are hitting the speed burst when you hit them.
Old 11-12-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally posted by hector031
The only way you will kill someone is if you are hitting the speed burst when you hit them.
Which is all I do. When you try to run someone down, give it a boost. Works nearly every time.
Old 11-12-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Great post old one.

Gotta add a simple one to the list. Use the black button to switch to plasma grenades. Simple right? Well the other night I was playing with friends and 3 of them had no idea you could do that. That is a hold-over from the first game, I don't know how they never figured that out. They really had no clue it was in the first game. I can't tell you how many times we've played. I thought it was hysterical. I had a 5 kills in a row, just from sticking plasma grenades to people. It is my default grenade of choice. They kept wondering how I was doing that.
Old 11-13-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Great post old one.

Gotta add a simple one to the list. Use the black button to switch to plasma grenades. Simple right? Well the other night I was playing with friends and 3 of them had no idea you could do that. That is a hold-over from the first game, I don't know how they never figured that out. They really had no clue it was in the first game. I can't tell you how many times we've played. I thought it was hysterical. I had a 5 kills in a row, just from sticking plasma grenades to people. It is my default grenade of choice. They kept wondering how I was doing that.

I can see where they wouldn't know. I knew but it's rare that I use this feature. Plus, when you use grenades and you run out of one type the other type is used automatically. Most don't know how to use the "best" grenade for certain situations. In HALO I, if you used sticky plasmas on certain bad guys they would run right at you like a Suicide bomber. In Halo II if you aim just right the sticky plasmas can be used on Air-borne enemies. The frags will just bounce off of them.
Old 11-13-04, 10:23 AM

Nice post. I agree that talking is the key. I've had many games where I'm giving info or asking questions (enemy locations etc) and I'm lucky if I get a response. I think everyone forgets to use the white button. Hopefully that'll get better as time goes on.

That's part of the reason I like using the Duke controller better. I can just use my index finger to hit the white button and never have to take my hands off the sticks. The S-Controller is terrible for this IMO.
Old 11-14-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by finbogg
That's part of the reason I like using the Duke controller better. I can just use my index finger to hit the white button and never have to take my hands off the sticks. The S-Controller is terrible for this IMO.
I just move my thumb quickly down to the white button on the S controller. You briefly lose some movement ability but I never talk when I need to have both thumbs on the sticks anyway.
Old 11-14-04, 04:44 AM
Premium Member

Awesome post. I am pissed - I had two days of play. Then a two week business trip and all I can do is read posts about play

Suckekekekekeke!
Old 11-14-04, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Draven
I just move my thumb quickly down to the white button on the S controller. You briefly lose some movement ability but I never talk when I need to have both thumbs on the sticks anyway.
You don't have to hold the button to talk. All you have to do is tap the white button, talk, and when its silent, your message will stop. You'll notice the start and stop noise in your headset.
Old 11-14-04, 12:50 PM

NIce refresher post.

Another one...Get to know your friends' Emblems...makes for finding them that much easier. Make a new one if yours is too bland or hard to make out.
I like numbers..they are easy to remember...couple that with a bright color and you'll be easily distinguishable. This is mine...

Last edited by maxpower; 11-15-04 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-14-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by maxpower
...couple that with a bright color and you'll be easily distinguishable. This is mine...

And easily seen in dark areas by the enemy!
Old 11-14-04, 02:05 PM
Banned

On time-limit back-and-forth CTF, do you know what determines sudden death?
Old 11-14-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well with the bomb, sudden death occurs if the bomb is inside or too close to either base. It is probably similar in flag, if it is near the base but not in the actual flag holder.

Had one match last night that went on for a while, the opposing team managed to arm the bomb in our base, but we picked it up while it was armed. So all we had to do was drop down in their base. No need to sit there for 10 seconds arming it. As soon as we did we scored. So we were up. And they got the bomb again managed to make it to our base, but they got to sudden death again. They kept touching it, or someone on our team would grab it and run. Well we finally realized if you take it away from the base and drop it on the ground, those 5 seconds ticked away and we got the win.
Old 11-14-04, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
And easily seen in dark areas by the enemy!
Maybe so...IF it were the case that your enemies could see your Emblem. But alas it is meant to be seen only by your teammates. . . . .
Old 11-15-04, 09:42 AM

If we're showing off emblems, here's mine:

I love it. ilovebees with a feminine twist.

My tips: choose an armor color that is not bright. As nice as white looks, you can see it from a mile away. Also, they may be weakened from the last Halo, and they're not flashy, but dual wielded pistols are nearly impossible to beat at close range. Fire for the head or chest, alternating triggers as fast as you can, and your opponent will be knocked backward so much that he won't be able to recover.
Old 11-15-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by KirstenS
Also, they may be weakened from the last Halo, and they're not flashy, but dual wielded pistols are nearly impossible to beat at close range. Fire for the head or chest, alternating triggers as fast as you can, and your opponent will be knocked backward so much that he won't be able to recover.
Agreed. I was shooting people out of Warthogs from 30 feet away with pistols the other day.
Old 11-15-04, 03:24 PM

Nice ..I'll have to try those pistols. As for the Armor..I tend to play team games ...so the color does not affect me too much.. I did not take into acct the single player games where your armor is based on the background color of your emblem.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.