Search this Thread

Old 11-11-04, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EA Cuts Prices To $30 On Three '2005' Games

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3910657/deta...211112004&ts=H

Video Games Enter Battle Over Price
EA Cuts Prices To $30 On Three Games

POSTED: 11:47 am EST November 11, 2004

There's a battle between two major game makers and it appears the winner is game players.

In the past year, ESPN's sports games have gone after the market share held by industry leader EA Sports by cutting prices.

Now, it appears that strategy has caught the attention of EA Sports.

The company has dropped the price of three of its titles -- "Madden NFL 2005," "NBA Live 2005" and "Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005."

The new price is under $30. ESPN has been selling its branded games at a price point that is under $20.

I don't know if this has been mentioned in other threads!

Chris
Old 11-11-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consumers are the winners when Competition takes hold!
Old 11-11-04, 08:50 PM

Yeah ESPN!!! They are a threat to EA!
Old 11-11-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i thought they espn could give away their games "free with a ham sandwich scotch taped to it" and madden would still outsell it at $50. when's this take effect? i want to pick up tiger.
Old 11-11-04, 09:01 PM

I dont think Tiger got the discount. I think it's NHL 2005 instead of Tiger. Tiger has no competition for PGA tour games sadly. It's still 50 on EB, while NBA, NHL, and Madden all dropped prices.
Old 11-11-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

low prices = me buying Madden.

birrman54
Old 11-11-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Glad to see Sega putting some heat on EA.Now if only ALL games would be released for $30 or less that would be great.
Old 11-11-04, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gr8fuldave
I dont think Tiger got the discount. I think it's NHL 2005 instead of Tiger. Tiger has no competition for PGA tour games sadly. It's still 50 on EB, while NBA, NHL, and Madden all dropped prices.
damn. o well, outlaw golf 2 is better than tiger anyway(not joking), i just wanted a new golf game.
Old 11-12-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Why is NCAA still $50? I know, no competition, but damn this is the oldest of all the current EA sports titles.
Old 11-12-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Does the buy two-get one free offer still apply to these titles at that price? That would make them essentially the same price as the ESPN titles.
Old 11-12-04, 10:05 AM

I think it does Drexl, but only until 11-14-04
Old 11-12-04, 12:21 PM
Suspended

Maybe the price drops were made possible by killing their employees.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/
Old 11-12-04, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by trigun
Maybe the price drops were made possible by killing their employees.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/
Man, that was painful to read
Old 11-12-04, 08:48 PM

Ah great, just after I took advantage of TRU Buy 2 Get 1 and EA Sports Buy 2 Get 1. There are not enough hours in a day any more. I was hoping these would retain their trade-in value as long as usual so I could play all and get some decent money for them. Oh well, now I'll take my time and really enjoy them. Good to see ESPN threatening EA though, hopefully they'll stick around and maybe we can see the overall price of video games come down although unlikely. So far still prefer ESPN of the 2.
Old 12-08-04, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5856

ESPN sports titles will return to full-price, says Take-Two

Rob Fahey 10:12 08/12/2004

Popular $20 pricing will be scrapped for next-generation console SKUs

The $20 price point which was successfully used to stimulate sales of the ESPN American sports titles this year will not last indefinitely, according to comments made by Take-Two executive VP Cindi Buckwalter.

Speaking to the UBS Media Week Conference last week, Buckwalter said that Take-Two and partner Sega will seek to return pricing to premium levels for the next-generation console versions of the games.

"We continue to evaluate pricing," she told the conference, according to a Reuters report. "When the next-generation hardware comes out, we do expect to introduce the sports products at premium prices."

The $20 pricing was introduced for the ESPN titles after Sega and Take-Two teamed up to co-publish the range, and has proved massively successful in improving the performance of the range.

Most notably, it has put immense pressure on Electronic Arts' market-leading sports range, with the giant publisher forced to drop prices on several of its key EA Sports titles in order to compete more effectively in the run up to Christmas.

Buckwalter's comments confirm that premium pricing will be used for next-generation console SKUs, presumably on the basis that product development will be more expensive and that the early adopter market is less sensitive to pricing, but it's still not clear whether the $20 price will be used for next year's range on current-generation systems.

Chris
Old 12-13-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I always believe that "franchise" sports titles (Madden, NBA Live, Sega's 2K series, etc.) should be less than the [usual] $50 price-point.

I don't know what goes on in the development of a videogame, however, if you look at these particular sports titles you'll see that year after year the game is polished, tweaked, new players are thrown in to be accurate, and/or something new is added.
I highly doubt the developers are starting from scratch every year. I believe this to be true simply because the developers are able to put out the next game in "X" franchise the following year.

Now, look at a game (non-sports) that is released. These games are not made in 1 year. These games are usually in development for much longer yet the franchise sports games are priced at $50 just like the non-sports games.

Of course, there are a lot more that can be said, but this is just my opinion. These games will sell at whatever price simply because the demand is there.