DVD Talk
Question about Die Hard Series [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Die Hard Series

cajun_junky
11-11-04, 09:06 AM
I searched and found nothing new regarding the Die Hard dvds. I am thinking about picking these up and wondered if there was any reason to hold off. According to the reviews I read, all three come with DTS and are anamorphic. Is there any advantage to buying the boxed set or just pick up each separately? It looks like Columbia House has the separates but not the box set.

thanks...

BananaMan
11-11-04, 09:10 AM
Theres no difference between the seperate editions and the box set editions. Die Hard used to be under the Five Star Collection label but it has now been re-packaged by Fox and has a number on the spine. I own all three movies. Die Hard (Five Star Edition) and the subsequent two disc sequels.

The transfers are great and the audio is superb. The features for Die Hard (on the Five Star collection at least, dunno if Fox changed anything on the new repackaged version) are pretty good and there is a nice little featurette on the benefits of widescreen over pan and scan with a neat demo.

Pick them up, you won't regret it.

Joe Molotov
11-11-04, 09:12 AM
2-Disc, DTS, Anamorphic...I don't think there's any reason to think Die Hard is going to get a better release than this, at least not any time in the forseeable future. The seperate releases are exactly the same as the boxset, just without the box.

Star Wars Guy
11-11-04, 06:34 PM
And since 1 & 2 are "Christmas" movies, now is the perfect time to get them! ;)

cajun_junky
11-11-04, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Star Wars Guy
And since 1 & 2 are "Christmas" movies, now is the perfect time to get them! ;)

Actually, I think the approaching Christmas season may partly to blame for my interest. I always enjoyed these movies and thought it would be nice to watch them over Christmas break.

LasVegasMichael
11-11-04, 08:10 PM
Definately pick up the current 2D releases. Whether purchases separately or altogether is irrelevant (unless you love boxes). The current 2D releases really cannot be improved upon IMO. Sound, video treatment, and extras are all top notch!

TylerDurden_73
11-11-04, 08:18 PM
Buy them. They won't let you down quality wise

Fok
11-11-04, 10:14 PM
Definately worth picking up, they did a great job on them.

Big Worms
11-11-04, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by cajun_junky
Actually, I think the approaching Christmas season may partly to blame for my interest. I always enjoyed these movies and thought it would be nice to watch them over Christmas break.

I thought I was the only one that thought this. I bought the Ultimate Collection last year for this reason. I wanted to add them to my Christmas movies that I watch. By the way the set is awesome!

Son-volt
11-11-04, 11:53 PM
Watching Die Hard used to be a Christmas tradition at my house. It was the first VHS movie we got back when my family got it's first VCR one Christmas way back in the day.

Wasn't the first Die Hard one of the first movies to be made a hit by home video? I swear I read that somewhere, that it's box office was pretty mediocre, but it really took off on video.

RyoHazuki
11-12-04, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Son-volt
Watching Die Hard used to be a Christmas tradition at my house. It was the first VHS movie we got back when my family got it's first VCR one Christmas way back in the day.

Wasn't the first Die Hard one of the first movies to be made a hit by home video? I swear I read that somewhere, that it's box office was pretty mediocre, but it really took off on video. It made $81 million theatrically off a budget of $28 million. Thats pretty profitable.

clckworang
11-13-04, 04:22 PM
I will just reiterate what everyone else has said, this is a great set and I wouldn't hesitate recommending to someone that enjoyed the films picking it up.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0