DVD Talk
Shrek 2 destroys DVD sales record [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Shrek 2 destroys DVD sales record

matome
11-10-04, 09:24 AM
Yahoo link (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=794&e=2&u=/eo/20041110/en_movies_eo/15299)
-------------------------------

"The Incredibles had an incredible weekend to be sure, tallying $70.5 million at the box office, but in the end Shrek got more green.

DreamWorks' Shrek 2 DVD, not so coincidentally released on Friday, the same day bitter rivals Disney and Pixar opened their new superhero 'toon theatrically, generated about $185 million over the weekend in combined DVD and VHS sales, the studio announced Monday.

DreamWorks says in its first three days on shelves, Shrek 2 moved a record 12.1 million combined DVD and video units, 11 million of which were DVDs. "

The sequel, which already owns the record for highest grossing opening weekend in theatres, with $108 million over its first three days last May, surpasses the original Shrek, which previously held the home video mark by selling 7 million copies and generating $110 million in revenue in its first three days in November 2001 (when it was released in stores the same time Disney-Pixar's Monsters, Inc. hit megaplexes).

Predictably, the folks at DreamWorks are acting like Christmas came early. "This record pace is reflective of the movie’s broad appeal--everyone from kids, parents and general audiences are adding Shrek 2 to their DVD library," crowed Kelley Avery, worldwide head of DreamWorks Home Entertainment.

Avery added that "the Shrek 2 marketing campaign now in full swing and an extensive effort [will continue] through the holidays."

The second Shrek feature, which opened on May 18 in theatres, already owns a place in the history books. Not only did the sequel outgross the original, but it is the biggest moneymaker of 2004 with a domestic take of more than $440 million--a mark that ranks it as the highest grossing animated film of all time and the third-highest grossing film of all time. Numbers like that meant the DVD was going to be a sure stocking stuffer.

"DreamWorks should get to the 30 million mark based on box-office receipts alone," says Scott Hettrick, editor of DVD Exclusives.

Disney-Pixar's Finding Nemo, currently has DVD sales in the 22 million-unit range, the current record. But, just as Shrek 2 topped Nemo at the box office, the ogre is likely to stomp out the fish when it comes to DVD sales.

Hettrick attributes the high first week sales in part to savvy consumers. "I defy you to find anyone who wasn't aware that the release date for Shrek 2," he says.

DreamWorks spared no expense to promote the video, taking out billboard and magazine ads that rivaled most theatrical roll-outs. Of course, the studio needed to make a splash since it was going up against the even more heavily hyped release of The Incredibles. Hettrick says such promotion usually pays off as 50-70 percent of sales come in the first week.

And while the DreamWorks swears (wink wink) that Shrek 2's Friday release date didn't try to undermine some of The Incredibles' glory, Hettrick says the move was the latest in long history of one-upsmanship between the studios since Jeffrey Katzenberg left the Mouse House and cofounded DreamWorks with Steven Spielberg and David Geffen. "It's just part of back and forth between the two," he says.

Shrek 2's boffo sales come at an opportune time for its home studio, since DreamWorks Animation SKG launched its IPO last week and its stock price has been soaring. And both Shrek 2 and DreamWorks' other 'toon hit of 2004, Shark Tale, have been ruled eligible for the Best Animated Feature Oscar--a race that could once again pit The Incredibles against the not so jolly green giant.

But don't expect Shrek 2 to dominate the record books forever; DreamWorks has already given a green light to Shrek 3, due out in 2006, and Shrek 4.

-------------------------------

billy9215
11-10-04, 09:38 AM
yippee..buy Dreamworks stock today.

Chemical
11-10-04, 10:22 AM
Part three, here we come.

BeckysBoy
11-10-04, 10:37 AM
This saddens me. I really enjoyed the first one, but the follow-up was WEAK. Michael Jackson dancing jokes? Ghostbusters references? Ricky Martin? Footloose? I laughed maybe twice over the course of the entire film. It was stale before it ever hit theaters.

What Shrek 2 proves is the power of marketing. If you blitz the public with enough commercials telling them your film is the "BEST FILM EVER!!!" (based solely on the amount of money it made), they'll give in, even if they didn't like it all that much when they saw it. The fact that they actually convinced people to buy the DVD and make a toll phone call to participate in the contrived "Far Far Away Idol" bit without even the pretense of a sweepstakes is testament to the pure marketing genius of the film's handlers.

BizRodian
11-10-04, 10:54 AM
Bitter rivals? Heh.

Green Jello
11-10-04, 10:54 AM
Whatever Boy. Most people I know agree with me that it was superior to the original.

BassDude
11-10-04, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Green Jello
Whatever Boy. Most people I know agree with me that it was superior to the original.

Count me in this group. I didn't find the first one all that funny, but I didn't see it in theaters. Rented the DVD and my kids asked me to buy it. For Shrek 2 we saw it in the theaters and I enjoyed it more. To each his/her own.

What I think is amazing is...look at how much was spent on family entertainment in one weekend!! I'd bet many families saw the Incredibles over the weekend AND bought the Shrek 2 DVD. Big market in pleasing the kiddies I guess.

And the article says in DVD and VHS sales. VHS SALES? Really? they still make those? :)

Big Worms
11-10-04, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by BassDude
Count me in this group. I didn't find the first one all that funny, but I didn't see it in theaters. Rented the DVD and my kids asked me to buy it. For Shrek 2 we saw it in the theaters and I enjoyed it more. To each his/her own.

What I think is amazing is...look at how much was spent on family entertainment in one weekend!! I'd bet many families saw the Incredibles over the weekend AND bought the Shrek 2 DVD. Big market in pleasing the kiddies I guess.

And the article says in DVD and VHS sales. VHS SALES? Really? they still make those? :)

Count me in to.

fumanstan
11-10-04, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by BeckysBoy
This saddens me. I really enjoyed the first one, but the follow-up was WEAK. Michael Jackson dancing jokes? Ghostbusters references? Ricky Martin? Footloose? I laughed maybe twice over the course of the entire film. It was stale before it ever hit theaters.

What Shrek 2 proves is the power of marketing. If you blitz the public with enough commercials telling them your film is the "BEST FILM EVER!!!" (based solely on the amount of money it made), they'll give in, even if they didn't like it all that much when they saw it. The fact that they actually convinced people to buy the DVD and make a toll phone call to participate in the contrived "Far Far Away Idol" bit without even the pretense of a sweepstakes is testament to the pure marketing genius of the film's handlers.

I disagree. It just proves that people have different tastes, and it just happens that yours is against the rest of the mass public. And no, you didn't have to make a toll call to vote. You don't make 400 million dollars at the box office soley because of marketing.

Rypro 525
11-10-04, 12:18 PM
The sequel, which already owns the record for highest grossing opening weekend in theatres, with $108 million over its first three days last May

doesn't spiderman 1 own that record?

Fok
11-10-04, 12:22 PM
I found Shrek 2 a lot more funnier than the first one. Guess the its because the jokes were a bit more mature.

REL77
11-10-04, 12:23 PM
IMO... Shrek 2 was soooo much better than the Orig.. I really hated the first one, so not funny... The 2nd was better, and I am glad to see it break records, and hope it wins an oscar

Green Jello
11-10-04, 12:37 PM
Does anyone know of good sites to get video sales data? There is box office data everywhere, but I'm not sure about video sales.

BeckysBoy
11-10-04, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Fok
I found Shrek 2 a lot more funnier than the first one. Guess the its because the jokes were a bit more mature.

How were the jokes more mature? There were more pop culture references to be sure, but most of them were extremely dated (or soon will be). I'm just asking, because I feel like I saw a completely different movie than the rest of you.

fumanstan
11-10-04, 12:42 PM
How were the jokes more mature? There were more pop culture references to be sure, but most of them were extremely dated (or soon will be). I'm just asking, because I feel like I saw a completely different movie than the rest of you.

Easiest example that springs to mind is the woman's underwear/thong.

As far as pop culture references, i actually disagree that they'll become dated as quickly as people say. Most of the references i can picture being still relevent years down the line.

majorjoe23
11-10-04, 12:43 PM
Hettrick attributes the high first week sales in part to savvy consumers. "I defy you to find anyone who wasn't aware that the release date for Shrek 2," he says.

I was at the grocery store last week and the guy in front of me in line saw the empty holder advertising the Shrek 2 DVD and he asked "Is that out yet?"

HA! I DEFY YOU, HETTRICK!

And Spider-Man does have #1 opening weekend.

fumanstan
11-10-04, 12:44 PM
Does anyone know of good sites to get video sales data? There is box office data everywhere, but I'm not sure about video sales.

I've been wondering that myself for awhile. I have yet to find any website that details a comprehensive list of units sold, and the only news we ever hear are press releases from studios tooting their own horn over sales numbers.

needamazing
11-10-04, 12:54 PM
I hate everything Shrek. I watched the first one and barely enjoyed it. I have not watched the 2nd one and I don't think I will.

I find the way they try to undermine Disney to be juvenile and I despise them for it. I have always been a huge Disney fan so that has gotten me to hate Shrek. I own over 1100 DVDs but I will never own a Shrek DVD.

They release the DVD on the same day that The Incredibles opens up!! Are you kidding me!!! Someone has an axe to grind. I cannot believe their tactics.

I didn't even think that movie was that good.

matome
11-10-04, 01:04 PM
:rolleyes: Well apparently Dreamworks is doing something right with the Friday releases since they did the same thing with <i>Shrek</i> when <i>Monsters Inc.</i> opened and now they have the #1 and #2 sales records. Maybe it's just good marketing, huh?

gongon78
11-10-04, 01:14 PM
I think the most suprising part of the article was where Dreamworks said it sold '12.1 million combined DVD and video units, 11 milliom of which were DVDs.'

So there are 2.1 million people buying the VHS version still? What's up with that?

Green Jello
11-10-04, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by needamazing
I hate everything Shrek. I watched the first one and barely enjoyed it. I have not watched the 2nd one and I don't think I will.

I find the way they try to undermine Disney to be juvenile and I despise them for it. I have always been a huge Disney fan so that has gotten me to hate Shrek. I own over 1100 DVDs but I will never own a Shrek DVD.

They release the DVD on the same day that The Incredibles opens up!! Are you kidding me!!! Someone has an axe to grind. I cannot believe their tactics.

rotfl

Are you kidding me? You are a huge fan of the most evil empire in all of Hollywood and you hate Dreamworks for poking fun of them??!!!

Green Jello
11-10-04, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by gongon78
So there are 2.1 million people buying the VHS version still? What's up with that?

You think that's bad? 21 years after CDs were released to the U.S. market, you can still go into a Tower Records and purchase pre-recorded cassette tapes.

majorjoe23
11-10-04, 01:23 PM
Only 1.1 million people are still buying VHS, at least in this case. Though I would guess a good portion of those sales came from videos stores.

Cornelius1047
11-10-04, 01:25 PM
1.1 million. Try math. :p

While I liked the sequel just fine, I'm actually in the minority on this one, in thinking the first was better.

K

Space_Monkey
11-10-04, 01:38 PM
I find the way they try to undermine Disney to be juvenile and I despise them for it.

Agreed. This really soured my opinion of Dreamworks. If they keep up this trend they will annoy me more than Miramax's continued attempts to buy the Best Picture Oscar.

I will always like Pixar's films better because they are more timeless. As long as Dreamworks continues to mire their films with excessive pop culture references they will fail to win me over the way Pixar has.

That said, I still enjoy Dreamworks animated films for what they are and don't understand why they feel they can't coexist with Pixar...

Falc04
11-10-04, 01:52 PM

I agree that the 1st was superior to the 2nd, but the 2nd was still good.

After all, there was no way of topping Lord Farquaad (John Lithgow) as a great, laughable villain.

mxv
11-10-04, 02:14 PM
I liked the first one and enjoyed the second one even more. I only saw the first one on DVD, the second one I saw at the theatre and after seeing it, I was instantly looking forward to owning it on DVD.

OldBoy
11-10-04, 02:26 PM
S2's DVD sales beat "Star Wars"?

Green Jello
11-10-04, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by scott1598

And you find that hard to believe?

Joe Molotov
11-10-04, 02:34 PM

Yeah, it sounds like you do. :lol:

dtcarson
11-10-04, 02:48 PM
Competition. No law that says they have to release it on the third Tuesday of the month. And they are to an extent different markets, those who are planning to see a movie this weekend, and those who are planning to--or might on impulse--buy a DVD.
While I'm not secondguessing the numbers, I wish they would get away from counting the 'gross' at the box office. How many tickets were sold? Ticket prices range from 5 bucks to 12 bucks, so the gross could be skewed by a lot of viewers in an expensive theatre, or things like that. Tickets sold would be a more accurate and universal measurement.

Green Jello
11-10-04, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by dtcarson
I wish they would get away from counting the 'gross' at the box office. How many tickets were sold? Ticket prices range from 5 bucks to 12 bucks, so the gross could be skewed by a lot of viewers in an expensive theatre, or things like that. Tickets sold would be a more accurate and universal measurement.

While I do agree with you that it would be nice, box office figure don't exist for people like us to discuss or for the media to claim records with. They exist as a measure of accounting for the movie's production company to know how much money they made. Comparing records and indexing the figures to compare with old films like Gone With The Wind, does little for the botoom line, which is business.

majorjoe23
11-10-04, 03:34 PM

Shrek 2 costs $15, Star Wars costs $45, of course Shrek 2 will move more units. Star Wars and sets like Indiana Jones sold well, but they can't touch cheap 1-2 disc releases.

BeckysBoy
11-10-04, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Space_Monkey
Agreed. This really soured my opinion of Dreamworks. If they keep up this trend they will annoy me more than Miramax's continued attempts to buy the Best Picture Oscar.

I will always like Pixar's films better because they are more timeless. As long as Dreamworks continues to mire their films with excessive pop culture references they will fail to win me over the way Pixar has.

That said, I still enjoy Dreamworks animated films for what they are and don't understand why they feel they can't coexist with Pixar...

I am a Disney fan as well, but I could care less if DreamWorks rips on them. Lord knows Disney is ripe for parody.

I simply don't think DreamWorks' attempts at jibes are as clever as everyone else seems to.

BassDude
11-10-04, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by matome
:rolleyes: Well apparently Dreamworks is doing something right with the Friday releases since they did the same thing with <i>Shrek</i> when <i>Monsters Inc.</i> opened and now they have the #1 and #2 sales records. Maybe it's just good marketing, huh?

I'd guess more folks are paid on Fridays then Tuesdays. I wonder if this was a factor, and if Fridays would be better days for DVD releases.

matome
11-10-04, 05:04 PM
Well, there definitely is a reasoning for Tuesday as the release day. I read it somewhere (probably on DVDtalk) and I'll see if I can dig it up.

RichardW
11-10-04, 06:29 PM
They could've made more money if the Shrek: The Story So Far box set was available in widescreen.

Big Worms
11-10-04, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by RichardW
They could've made more money if the Shrek: The Story So Far box set was available in widescreen.

Totally agree. I know I would have bought it.

Kakkarat
11-10-04, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Big Worms
Totally agree. I know I would have bought it.

Same here. Would have sold off or given away Shrek 1 from the set (already have the 2 disc).
But since they decided to screw us over on the box set, I'm going to put off buying Shrek 2. Probably get it used or something.

TheKing
11-10-04, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by matome
Well, there definitely is a reasoning for Tuesday as the release day. I read it somewhere (probably on DVDtalk) and I'll see if I can dig it up.

It's simple, Having the release day on Tuesday helps to drum up traffic in stores on days when their traffic would normally be very low. Put new releases in there on Friday, and Best Buy would be a ghost town on weekdays.

For the studios, Tuesday's are good because then they aren't competing against the movie release day of Friday. Having both on the same day would hurt the box office, hence why Shrek 2 was released the same day as The Incredibles.

freshticles
11-10-04, 08:00 PM
"I defy you to find anyone who wasn't aware that the release date for Shrek 2,"

Of course..they probably spent every bit of money they made from the box office on advertising shrek two in every dirtbag walmart across the nation...i couldn't walk two feet without bumping into a giant shrek cardboard cutout....

MyDixieWrecked
11-10-04, 11:03 PM
What was the ghostbuster reference? I dont know how I missed it.

fumanstan
11-10-04, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by MyDixieWrecked
What was the ghostbuster reference? I dont know how I missed it.

The giant gingerbread man is sort of an homage to the Stay Puft Marshmallow man.

Dabaomb
11-11-04, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Cornelius1047
1.1 million. Try math. :p

While I liked the sequel just fine, I'm actually in the minority on this one, in thinking the first was better.

K

I'm with you on this one. I thought that the first one had a better story. The second one had more pop culture references and most importantly Puss N' Boots :up:

Qui Gon Jim
11-11-04, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by TheKing
It's simple, Having the release day on Tuesday helps to drum up traffic in stores on days when their traffic would normally be very low. Put new releases in there on Friday, and Best Buy would be a ghost town on weekdays.

For the studios, Tuesday's are good because then they aren't competing against the movie release day of Friday. Having both on the same day would hurt the box office, hence why Shrek 2 was released the same day as The Incredibles.

Correct, and that is why I view this Friday release as a shot against Pixar. Dreamworks is not even a patch on Pixar's ass and it will be a true crime if Shrek 2 takes the oscar over The Incredibles which is the most enjoyable film I have seen this year.

Shrek is ok fun, but it is defintely aimed at the J6P crowd where the humor is obvious and the casting and references will date themselves within years. Shrek, Shark's Tale and Shrek 2 will be well loved for the next 4 or 5 years, but Monsters, INC, Finding Nemo and The Incredibles will be timeless in the spirit of Walt's classic animated films like Snow White and Bambi.

Joe Molotov
11-11-04, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
Shrek is ok fun, but it is defintely aimed at the J6P crowd where the humor is obvious and the casting and references will date themselves within years. Shrek, Shark's Tale and Shrek 2 will be well loved for the next 4 or 5 years...

I'm sure people said the same thing about Spaceballs and Airplane. :D

BeckysBoy
11-11-04, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
Correct, and that is why I view this Friday release as a shot against Pixar. Dreamworks is not even a patch on Pixar's ass and it will be a true crime if Shrek 2 takes the oscar over The Incredibles which is the most enjoyable film I have seen this year.

Shrek 2 will be nominated if for no other reason than the amount of money it made (Oscar loves a moneymaker). But it will never win.

Shrek is ok fun, but it is defintely aimed at the J6P crowd where the humor is obvious and the casting and references will date themselves within years. Shrek, Shark's Tale and Shrek 2 will be well loved for the next 4 or 5 years, but Monsters, INC, Finding Nemo and The Incredibles will be timeless in the spirit of Walt's classic animated films like Snow White and Bambi.

Amen to that. DreamWorks casts Eddie Murphy. Pixar casts Sarah Vowell from "This American Life." I seriously doubt most Shrek 2 fans have ever heard of Sarah or TAL, but it's a perfect illustration of Pixar's genuine coolness vs. DreamWorks' sad attempts.

ianholm
11-11-04, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I know. Who the hell has ever heard of Tom Hanks, Tim Allen or Billy Crystal? :rolleyes:

needamazing
11-11-04, 11:54 AM

Totally agree. Shrek is J6P material all the way. I guess that is why I can't stand it.

OldBoy
11-11-04, 01:51 PM
J6P?

Green Jello
11-11-04, 02:00 PM
J6P?

Joe Six Pack - A term used by elitist movie snobs to describe the general public who widely loved a movie like Shrek 2.

OldBoy
11-11-04, 02:10 PM
Joe Six Pack - A term used by elitist movie snobs to describe the general public who widely loved a movie like Shrek 2.

ahhhh...EMS's!!

matome
11-11-04, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by ianholm
Yeah, I know. Who the hell has ever heard of Tom Hanks, Tim Allen or Billy Crystal? :rolleyes:

:lol:

Totally agree. Shrek is J6P material all the way. I guess that is why I can't stand it.

Yet, he's so impressed by Spiderman's huge weekend opening. No J6P's showed up for that one. :rolleyes:

BeckysBoy
11-11-04, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by ianholm

My point wasn't that casting big names is an inherently bad thing. I recognize that it's almost a necessity for animated films nowadays. Rather, I was pointing out that Pixar made a very daring and unusual casting choice where they could have easily gone with Hilary Duff or Lindsay Lohan or some other flavor of the week, or just thrown a bunch of money at another perennial big name star.

Joe Molotov
11-11-04, 03:36 PM
My point wasn't that casting big names is an inherently bad thing. I recognize that it's almost a necessity for animated films nowadays. Rather, I was pointing out that Pixar made a very daring and unusual casting choice where they could have easily gone with Hilary Duff or Lindsay Lohan or some other flavor of the week, or just thrown a bunch of money at another perennial big name star.

You mean like when Dreamworks casts Jennifer Saunders and Rubert Everett?

Rivero
11-11-04, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by fumanstan
Easiest example that springs to mind is the woman's underwear/thong.

Gimme a break. It's a sad state of affairs if this is what passes for 'more adult humor' in animation. Count me as another who thinks Shrek 2 is egregiously overrated and isn't worthy enough to hold this film's jockstrap:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004UGAV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

fumanstan
11-11-04, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Rivero
Gimme a break. It's a sad state of affairs if this is what passes for 'more adult humor' in animation. Count me as another who thinks Shrek 2 is egregiously overrated and isn't worthy enough to hold this film's jockstrap:

I don't see why that constitutes a sad state of affairs. And comparing it to the Iron Giant is rather silly, considering they are two completely different genres.

speedyray
11-11-04, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Space_Monkey

Well said. A position supported with good reasoning. I agree by the way. I think the Disney films really are timeless especially compared to Dreamworks movies like Shrek. I still enjoy Shrek for what it is and does though.

hogfat
11-11-04, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by TheKing

erm . . . as I'm aware, the main issue has to do with delivery services.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0