Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

HDTV Movies on ABC this week (Nov 8-14)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HDTV Movies on ABC this week (Nov 8-14)

ABC is broadcasting two movies in High Definition this week. I missed Lord of the Rings last week but did catch Monsters Inc. the week before and thought it looked really really good.

Saving Private Ryan will be aire in High Definition on ABC on Veteran's Day, Nov 11th at 8PM.

Wonderful World of Disney: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone airs on Saturday November 13 at 8PM.
Old 11-09-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryan would be cool to see in HDTV, but would they be editing the heck out of it? That, and it is really hard to watch this movie in anything less than DTS sound.
Old 11-09-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. Saving Private Ryan is definitely a great demo DTS DVD.
Old 11-09-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no, they (ABC) always play spr uncut and uncensored.
Old 11-09-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Yeah, they shouldn't cut up SPR. A great flick. I wish I had HD.
Old 11-09-04, 09:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

LOTR was on ABC? I thought it was on the WB in HD? Which sucked because I don't get the WB in HD.
Old 11-09-04, 09:54 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Saving Private Ryan
Thursday, November 11 at 8/7c

Starring Tom Hanks, Tom Sizemore, Edward Burns, Barry Pepper, Adam Goldberg, Vin Diesel, Giovanni Ribisi, Jeremy Davies, Matt Damon, Ted Danson, Paul Giamatti and Dennis Farina.

The World War II drama tells the story of Capt. Miller (Tom Hanks), who leads an eight-man mission to rescue Private Ryan (Matt Damon), the sole surviving brother of four fighting in the war. The film starts as Capt. Miller and his men make the landing on Omaha Beach on D-day. After surviving that crucible of fire, they are assigned to scour the front lines to find Private Ryan and return him to safety -- first, in order to save his mother any further grief, and second, to serve as a heroic symbol of the Normandy invasion.

The 1998 feature was directed by Steven Spielberg -- who won his second Best Direction Academy Award ® -- from a screenplay by Robert Rodat.

Due to graphic violence and intense adult language, viewer discretion is strongly advised.

TV Rating: TV-MA -- For more info visit www.tvguidelines.org

TV-MA L,V
I guess it's going to be raw.
Old 11-09-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most, if not all, Spielberg films are shown unedited on television.
Old 11-10-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and it will most likely be in Dolby Digital. It's not DTS but I guess it might be almost tolerable
Old 11-10-04, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to be checking out Ryan, but doubt I'll last long without DTS.
Old 11-10-04, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
LOTR was on ABC? I thought it was on the WB in HD? Which sucked because I don't get the WB in HD.
My mistake. I assumed it was ABC but I see now that you are correct.
Old 11-10-04, 12:43 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Old 11-10-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kick ass!

I'm gonna record SPR.

Last edited by nevermind; 11-10-04 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-11-04, 08:31 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
TV stations canceling 'Ryan' telecast
Worried about FCC sanctions; film must run uncut

NEW YORK (AP) -- More than 20 ABC affiliates around the country, including two in Ohio, have announced that they won't take part in the network's Veterans Day airing of "Saving Private Ryan," saying the acclaimed film's violence and language could draw sanctions from the Federal Communications Commission.

The decisions mark a twist in the conflict over the aggressive stand the FCC has taken against obscenity and profanity since Janet Jackson flashed the world during the last Super Bowl halftime show.

Steven Spielberg's Oscar-winning movie aired on ABC with relatively little controversy in 2001 and 2002, but station owners -- including several in large markets -- are unnerved that airing it Thursday could bring federal punishment. The film includes a violent depiction of the D-Day invasion and profanity.

"It would clearly have been our preference to run the movie. We think it's a patriotic, artistic tribute to our fighting forces," Ray Cole, president of Citadel Communications, told AP Radio. The company owns three ABC affiliates in the Midwest.

In Ohio, WCPO-TV of Cincinnati and WSYX-TV of Columbus will not show the movie.

Other stations choosing to replace the movie with other programming are located in Atlanta, Dallas, Honolulu, New Orleans, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Orlando, Florida, and Charlotte, North Carolina. They are owned by a variety of companies, including Cox Television, Tribune Broadcasting Corp., Hearst-Argyle Television Inc., Belo Corp. and Sinclair Broadcast Group.

"We regret that the FCC, given its current timidity in dealing in this area, would not grant an advance waiver, which would have allowed stations like ours to run it without any question or any concern," Cole said.

In a statement on WSB-TV's Web site, the Atlanta station's vice president and general manager, Greg Stone, cited a March ruling in which the FCC said an expletive uttered by rock star Bono during NBC's live airing of the 2003 Golden Globe Awards was both indecent and profane.

The agency made it clear then that virtually any use of the F-word -- which is used repeatedly in "Saving Private Ryan" -- was inappropriate for over-the-air radio and television.

The Bono case "reversed years of prior policy that the context of language matters," Stone said. He added that broadcasters could not get any clarification from the FCC on whether the movie violates the standard.

ABC, which broadcast the film uncut in 2001 and 2002, issued a statement saying it is proud to broadcast it again. The network's contract with director Spielberg stipulates that the film cannot be edited.

"As in the past, this broadcast will contain appropriate and clear advisories and parental guidelines," the statement said.
The rest of the article...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/1....ap/index.html
Old 11-11-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Figures, the Orlando, FL affiliate is one of the stations that is not showing it.
Old 11-12-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The shitty St. Louis affiliate replaced it w/ a showing of HOOSIERS.
Old 11-12-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by B.A.
The shitty St. Louis affiliate replaced it w/ a showing of HOOSIERS.
Sounds better than what I got: an old Green Bay Packer interview with Brett Favre, two episodes of Darma & Greg and an hour long special on "fashion". Wheeee.
Old 11-12-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
That's pretty bad. On election night, my ABC affiliate cut away from ABC News coverage of the election at midnight to show Dharma & Greg.
Old 11-12-04, 01:36 PM

Well SPR showed here in San Diego and it looked and sounded pretty good. I was surprised at how aggressive the DD5.1 sound was. My rear speakers were getting a lot of action. I thought the image was very good although it appeared a bit grainy at times. They issued a screen warning about mature content, violence and language at the end of each commercial break before resuming the movie.
Old 11-12-04, 01:42 PM

It may have already been mentioned, but damn ABC for their 2 minute commercials every 10 minutes. It really ruined the flow of the movie. But as was said, the sound was excellent and that was with an OTA antenna. But between this and Lost, ABC is getting greedy with the commercials. I would rather have had 5 minutes of commercials every 30 minutes.

Chris
Old 11-15-04, 01:13 PM

Anyone check out the Harry Potter broadcast?
Old 11-15-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by chente
Anyone check out the Harry Potter broadcast?

I did not, but I think they've broadcast it in HD once before. I may be mistaking ABC with another network, but I know that I've seen it on one of my HD stations. I may be thinking of HBO or one of the premium stations, though.

When I did see it, however, it was not broadcast in its OAR, which was very disappointing.

Was Saving Private Ryan in its OAR? It wasn't on here in Phoenix so I didn't get to check it out for myself.
Old 11-15-04, 07:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

HBO only shows the 2nd Harry Potter movie: COS.
Old 11-15-04, 07:59 PM
Mod Emeritus

SPR is 1.88 so by all intents and purposes it was in OAR.