Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Lost" S1 DVD (September 6)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
"Lost" S1 DVD (September 6)

Based on its tremendous popularity, the release was a given however, some of the little details of what the DVD set will entails, its interesting.

This is from a Dark Horizon article based on an appearance of Paul Dini in a comic book convention.

"The decision to air the show in "Pan and Scan" was the network's decision and the DVDs feature widescreen transfers of the show._
One of the original marketing plans was to release the DVD of the two hour pilot some three weeks after it aired. ABC moved on to the concept of just re-airing the show, like NBC and CBS do now, on Saturdays for those viewers who need to catch up. DVD sets are planned with deleted scenes but Disney and Bad Robot have not decided on any release dates yet. Some time last year ABC decided that they, like the other networks, needed to have a series shot in Hawaii. LOST was ABC's attempt to have a scripted or dramatic version of Survivor. Although ABC preferred to think of it as a "deserted island" show. "

Here is the link to the article. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ARTICLE CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE SHOW.

LINK
Old 11-09-04, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. I haven't watched this show. Is it worth a blind buy once released?
Old 11-09-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
Interesting. I haven't watched this show. Is it worth a blind buy once released?
Yes.
Old 11-09-04, 12:53 PM

I started to watch this.. but then it interferred with Smallville. I was hoping for a DVD Release. I can watch this. I will get it as a blind buy.
Old 11-09-04, 12:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I was WISHING this would come out on DVD and my it CAME TRUE!
Old 11-09-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if it will have an audio comm. from the giant T-rex?
Old 11-09-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
[Homer Simpson voice]Watch it, buster.[/Homer Simpson voice]

Want me to send a T-Rex over there to squish you?!
Old 11-09-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nah, it's just that you are dead but don't realize it.
Old 11-09-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Umm...the article says the show airs in "Pan & Scan". It's always aired in HD widescreen, assuming you have an HDTV.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 11-09-04 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-09-04, 03:24 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Big assumption.
Old 11-09-04, 03:48 PM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
Wait a minute, is there really a T-Rex? If there is, then my desire to see this show just dropped drastically.
Old 11-09-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you seen that Penny Arcade comic about Lost? It's funny, I hope it comes with the DVD.
Old 11-09-04, 03:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by JEStinson3
Wait a minute, is there really a T-Rex? If there is, then my desire to see this show just dropped drastically.
Let's just say that, despite appearences, there hasn't been one spoiler for the show in this thread.
Old 11-09-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
Come to the TV Talk forum sometime between Tuesday and Saturday of any given week, and I think you'll have your answer.
Old 11-09-04, 09:20 PM

this show is not worth a blind buy, it sorta drags on forever and i'm not sure how they could wrap up season 1 to make a dvd, is there even one planned?
Old 11-10-04, 02:14 AM

Squaresoft, i'd say you were in the minority over your opinion of 'Lost', as many out there feel it is one of the best, if not the best things on TV.

And i'd say a DVD release for a show like this is kind of a given.
Old 11-10-04, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
OMG zombie dad
Old 11-10-04, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I agree with squaresoft7. I tried to watch it as the premise seemed intriguing to me-- monster and all. But after the first show I found the acting stilted and the script so contrived, highlighted with the lamest dialogue. It got embarrassing, how often I shook my head and groaned as I watched the story unfold.

So is this worth a blind buy to you? I just recommend watching an episode, so you can decide for yourself. Some people really like this standard of story-telling and acting. I know I don't.

Spoiler:
The Dark Horizons article states: "It was also said that the monster is sort of a reflection of yourself." Ha! I knew it!

Last edited by slowcloud; 11-10-04 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-10-04, 08:30 AM

Excellent blind buy. This is one of the top 3 shows on the air right now. Everything about this show is well done and the writing is excellent as well as the acting. Once you watch the pilot, you are hooked!
Old 11-10-04, 08:50 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
I wonder if it will have an audio comm. from the giant T-rex?
You mean the physical manifestion of collective human angst?

I really enjoy this show, and this is coming from someone who otherwise NEVER watches network television. There are some contrived moments, but there are also some genuinely moving, tense, and intriguing ones as well. And I guarantee the show will surprise you a couple times.

My favorite part of the show right now is learning the backstories of all of the characters through flashbacks. The show is more character-focused than plot-focused, which I think is the key to its success. You don't see much of that kind of entertainment in the States.

I really wish they'd broadcast the show in letterbox so even those of us without HDTV could enjoy the original framing. Good to know that it will be presented that way on DVD.

Last edited by BeckysBoy; 11-10-04 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-10-04, 09:16 AM

keep in mind i've seen every episode of this show to date:

well i'm really not trying to threadcrap but i agree with slowcloud, this show teased everyone with like a dino-island sorta thing, then now they devote an entire hour to each supporting characters background which has nothing to do with the island at all, so based on the question is this a good blind buy i can't honestly say yes, because to me this show is extremely contrived and poorly written. So i hope that helps the person asking if to buy this.
Old 11-10-04, 09:24 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by squaresoft7

well i'm really not trying to threadcrap but i agree with slowcloud, this show teased everyone with like a dino-island sorta thing, then now they devote an entire hour to each supporting characters background which has nothing to do with the island at all, so based on the question is this a good blind buy i can't honestly say yes, because to me this show is extremely contrived and poorly written. So i hope that helps the person asking if to buy this.
So basically you're saying you started watching because you wanted it to be Jurassic Park: The TV Show, and because it turned out to be nothing of the sort, you're bitter? I think you're in the minority.
Old 11-10-04, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by JEStinson3
There are no dinosaurs on the island.

The writers have also said that they will not do sci-fi on the show.
Old 11-10-04, 10:04 AM

If it is so contrived and poorly written, why are you still watching? They gave no indication that this show had anything to do with dinosaurs. The hour they devote to each character is why most people like the show.
Old 11-10-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like ploppies to me even with the veiled apology.

Last edited by rfduncan; 11-10-04 at 10:18 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.