Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Budget gamer... PS2 much better than Xbox?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own an Xbox and am very pleased with it. I've been thinking lately of purchasing a PS2 because I have a hunch I could purchase more older used games for less than older Xbox titles.
Games like "Half Life" and "No One Lives Forever". For you guys who buy cheapo games and have both consoles, do you find PS2 to be a better deal?
Old 11-09-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Gamecube, PS2, and XBOX. I haven't played my PS2 in over a year. Just nothing out there for it. Although I might get Ace Combat 5 or GTA:SA. Really though if a game is out for both systems I always get the XBOX version.
Old 11-09-04, 10:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
In terms of consoles, yes PS2 is the way to go for a budget gamer. But the real bargains can be found gaming on an old PC.
Old 11-09-04, 11:11 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, many more great games on the PS2 at $20 or under, compared to the x-box or GC.
Old 11-09-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Just because of the sheer number of games that come out for the PS2, there are more greatest hits titles for it. Perfect for the budget gamer, who can also get budget PS1 titles. Too many great titles to list.

The Xbox isn't bad, but doesn't have as many budget exclusives as the PS2, and many of the better budget titles are also available for the PS2. The main exception to that is Knights of the Old Republic (unless Halo finally makes it to budget status).

The Gamecube is probably in between. A lot of great, exclusive first party games, but they take forever to get to budget status and even then, Nintendo seems to thing that some are worth 20 and others are worth 30. Still, Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2, Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda Wind Waker, Resident Evil 0 and 1, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, F zero, and others are nothing to sneeze at. When's Mario Kart GP going to budget?
Old 11-09-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd check out GameRush and just pick up some kick a$$ titles for your X-box with the great trade in deals they are running.
Old 11-09-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you visit cheapassgamer.com regularly, you'll find deals across all the consoles. I almost never pay more than $10 for a factory-sealed game, whether it be on PS2 or GC. I don't have an Xbox, but there's plenty of deals for that system as well.
Old 11-09-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sniper308
I'd check out GameRush and just pick up some kick a$$ titles for your X-box with the great trade in deals they are running.
I just did that and picked up four Xbox titles I really wanted. Great deal. But fujishig mentions the number of PS2 games being greater. The reason I thought of this thread topic was because I was in a pawn shop where this guy had 20 PS2 games for sale and only 1 Xbox. He said he gets in many more PS2 games. Right there it makes me realize that if they are more abundant then they probably cost less as well (hey, I'm a whiz at economics... heh heh).
Old 11-09-04, 01:44 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How cheaply can a PS2 system be bought for?
Old 11-09-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by illennium
If you visit cheapassgamer.com regularly, you'll find deals across all the consoles. I almost never pay more than $10 for a factory-sealed game, whether it be on PS2 or GC. I don't have an Xbox, but there's plenty of deals for that system as well.
My collection was almost all gained through the deals posted at Cheapassgamer. I rarely pay over $15 for a game, usually around $10. If you hang around there for a while you can pick up a lot of xbox games for cheap. Just recently Max Payne 2 was $10 at ebgames.com (might still be), simsons hit & run has been $5 and $10 at ebgames.com, and dead to rights was $5 at ebgames.com. I picked up GTA Double Pack for xbox, for $20 from gamestop.com a couple weeks ago also. Future Tactics is $5 at gamestop.com (may not be that good though). MAT 2 for xbox is $10 at gamecrazy. Just a sampling of some of the deals posted lately. Some might still be good, and they are all for new games.
Old 11-09-04, 02:35 PM
Retired

The main difference, since as others have said bargains abound for all systems, is that there are more options on the PS2.

A lot of the cheap x-box games are just multiplatform ports, while the ps2 has more great exclusive bargain games (Jak series, Ratchet and Clank series, sly cooper, ace combat, etc.). X-box has some too, but not as many, nor a good of quality IMO.

Plus, I find it nice to have a selection of good games I can go pick up at best buy for $15 or so, as I simply don't have the time or interest in gaming anymore to keep checking places like cheapassgamer daily to not miss out on deals.

So the ps2 is great for cheap, lazy casual gamers like myself.
Old 11-09-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Although with the 5 off 20 coupons disappearing from Best buy, the days where you can pick up Greatest Hits for 15 bucks may be gone...
Old 11-09-04, 05:00 PM

Out of GC, PS2, & Xbox, PS2 is the most outdated system with annoying load times and bad graphics compared to the others.

But, it's all about games. If the PS2 has games you love, go for it.

Go for the system that has the most apeal to you.
Old 11-09-04, 06:54 PM

Yes, the PS2 has more bargains, but only because it has more games in general. I've found plenty of great deals on Xbox games since getting one several months ago.
Old 11-09-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ClownFace666
Out of GC, PS2, & Xbox, PS2 is the most outdated system with annoying load times and bad graphics compared to the others.

But, it's all about games. If the PS2 has games you love, go for it.

Go for the system that has the most apeal to you.
None of the first part of your post really relates to the "budget factor" of the PS2. The PS2 has the most games, and overall the most buget games. I guess because even mediocre selling games sell pretty well on the PS2 compared to the other 2, PS2 game prices tend to go much lower faster than XBOX or gamecube. I tend to see many more sub $10 PS2 games at cheapassgamer. But if you look around enough all three have cheap games, just depends what you like most.
Old 11-09-04, 08:00 PM

I agree that the PS2 is a little better for the budget minded gamer, but only if you buy enough games to overcome the initial cost of the PS2. If you buy a PS2 for $100 you spend an average of $10 less for a PS2 game than an Xbox game you won't actually start saving money until the 11th game you buy for the PS2. I don't know about you buy I don't buy games very often and it would take me a long time to overcome the initial purchase and start saving money. Those are fictional numbers. Also bare in mind that you can find cheap games for XBOX also, just not in the same quantities as on PS2.

That being said the PS2 does have a lot of great games you can't get on the XBOX. Ratchet&Clank series, Jak series, Gran Turisimo series, and GTA:SA immediatly come to mind. I recently aquired a PS2 and am playing through the older games in some of these series which can be had for cheap (just got GT3 for $5.99 from EB). By the time I get done with those, the newer games in the series that have just come out should be able to be found for cheap.

If you do decide to get a PS2, I think it would be wise to look for a good deal on a used one that way you can probably get the previous owner to throw in some of the extra costs associated with owning a console such as an extra controller, memorry cards, and maybe a couple games.

In summary I recommend getting the PS2 for the exclusive games. Unless you buy a lot of games I think you may be kidding yourself on the saving money point.
Old 11-09-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Itmaymb
In summary I recommend getting the PS2 for the exclusive games. Unless you buy a lot of games I think you may be kidding yourself on the saving money point.
True, money could be lost if you don't buy many games, but the exclusivity of some cheaper games is a plus. My parents have a PS2 they keep for when my niece visits once a year from a different city. Think I'm going to just go and "borrow" it from them the other 50 weeks of the year.
Old 11-09-04, 09:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally posted by fujishig
Although with the 5 off 20 coupons disappearing from Best buy, the days where you can pick up Greatest Hits for 15 bucks may be gone...
I've been stocking up on the ones that are good thru 12/31/05. They are still on the shelves in all my local BBs, and I plan on getting 20-25 of them to last me the next 13 months.