Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Hidden" Widescreen...have we become that lazy?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Hidden" Widescreen...have we become that lazy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-04, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unclear artwork - Widescreen or not...have we become that lazy?

Lately there has been a lot of talk about cover art that has "widscreen" and "full screen" sort of hidden.

Are we really all that lazy? So it's not on the front. I'm sure it's on the back with all the disc specs, I'm sure it's on one of those annoying security stickers. So why can't you all just look a little harder. Why does everything have to be so spelled out, so clear. If you can't take the 5 seconds to scan the back or the sticker, than we are doomed as a society!

I for one don't mind having to look for the info., it's really not that much work. I also see it as a plus to have the aspect ratio "hidden". Maybe some fool who would automatically grab the full screen version, will mistakenly grab a widscreen version and finally see what he/she is missing, once and for all converting them to widscreen...eventually we could convert the entire world and eliminate the need for full screen all together.

The aspect ratio only matters to a bunch of us that are so anal that we are going to inspect the package for bent corners, and damaged cases anyawy, so why not look for the aspect ratio as well. Seriously people, if you can't take five seconds to look over the entire package to see what version you have, then you have bigger problems you need to address!

But that just my two cents....

Last edited by bossman284; 11-09-04 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-09-04, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do we really need a another thread about this?
Old 11-09-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Joe Molotov
Do we really need a another thread about this?

I think the point is that we really don't need any threads "warning" about different versions. Assume nothing, and simply make sure that you see the OAR indicated on the item before buying. Not a big deal.
Old 11-09-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

excellent post!
Old 11-09-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: "Hidden" Widescreen...have we become that lazy?

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Really? I find this hard to believe.
This MUST be sarcasm!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=394956

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=394901

(Just on the first page)
Old 11-09-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For some odd reason when i read the topic i thought he was talking about the movie "Hidden"
Old 11-09-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
INDEED
Old 11-09-04, 10:16 AM

Changed the subject as not to confuse anyone...
Old 11-09-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Making life just a bit easier...

Placing the words Widescreen and Full Screen clearly on the cover of every DVD isn't difficult. Furthermore, I don't think it is unreasonable to post an alert about DVD packaging that may not inform the consumer well. Since there are two DVD communities, WS and FS, we need clear, larger labeling on the boxes.

All people, being people, make mistakes. I am a WS fanatic, but I grabbed the FS version of Shrek 2 first. The small white lettering blends with the bricks.
Old 11-09-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think it's unreasonable to look at the specs on the back of the DVD.
Old 11-09-04, 10:47 AM

I think you missed my point. You'll get no argument from me that studios could make it clearer to the consumer, but I don't really see the need for these "warning" posts. They are unnecessary.

If you're on this board chances are you are insane about dvds (like I am) and you know when and if two or more versions of a dvd are coming out. Chances also are that you wouldn't be buying something if it was full frame, so you know you're looking for the widescreen version. Since you have this information long before the release date, you know what you are going in to buy. Are you all in such a hurry that you just grab a disc and run?

You're example of the Shrek dvd proves that:

1) The warning thread didn't help...you still grabbed the wrong one (and if the warning went up after you bought it still wouldn't help);

2) That you looked at the package before you bought it and made sure you got the correct one.

It just seems to me that the need for threads warning people is just over kill, and really only fill some space on a slow news day.

We all can read this board 20 times a day, why can't we read the package of the dvd we're about to buy?

Last edited by bossman284; 11-09-04 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-09-04, 10:48 AM

Jesus tapdancing Christ in a chicken basket, people...

Look at the white "security sticker" that runs along the top of the DVD. I have yet to see a dual release that does not specify 'FS' or 'WS' on that sticker.

Hell, sometimes they even spell it out for you!!!
Old 11-09-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
I went through the pile of Shrek 2s, carefully reading the back of each one until I found the fabled "widescreen" version I desired! But when I got home, I found that I accidentally bought Showgirls instead! Why didn't I look at the front of the case?!

Old 11-09-04, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by bossman284
Changed the subject as not to confuse anyone...
hahahahahaha

I was in such a rush, I only read the "Hi and thought it was a new member.
Old 11-09-04, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally posted by RicP
Holy shit!!!

I just found my new sig.
Old 11-09-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RicP
I've been laughing on and off thinking about that phrase. You made my day RicP. Thanks for making people think i'm crazy for laughing for no reason at all. .
That's the damm funniest line i've heard in years.

Last edited by roger_d; 11-09-04 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-09-04, 11:29 AM

Any DVD with the words WIDESCREEN or FULLSCREEN printed in a huge banner on the front is an UGLY ASS DVD.
Old 11-09-04, 11:39 AM

I think it's perfectly reasonable for DVD manufacturers to clearly identify which version of a title you are looking at. I suspect the average person doesn't want to look through the specs to work out if a movie is widescreen or full screen. If you can instantly tell that it's the version you don't want, you don't even have to pick it up. I'm fine with it all. If that makes me lazy, so be it.

How would you feel if all Coke bottles were packaged exactly the same on the front? Do you always want to have to pick up a bottle and examine the fine print to figure out if you're holding regular, diet, or caffeine free?
Old 11-09-04, 11:43 AM

People are just too impatient, blind or stupid.. or all of the above.
Old 11-09-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by dryars
People are just too impatient, blind or stupid.. or all of the above.
I'll take D) All of the above
Old 11-09-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also think there's an issue that with so many titles being offered with only one version rather than having two separate releases, people don't always stop to think whether the title they're buying that day is one of the ones they have to pay attention to.

Personally, I think making covers for them at all is making people lazy. All DVDs should just have plain white covers with "DVD" printed in black lettering across the front. If you want to know the title of the movie, you should have to read very small type on the back.
Old 11-09-04, 01:51 PM
Suspended

I think we need a full screen warning subforum.
Old 11-09-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I do agree with the original post,since I have yet toever'accidentally' purchase the pan & scan version of a film!

I always look at the package,even if briefly to make sure it is the correct aspect ratio.

While yes some studios do 'hide' the aspect ratio label on the cover/packaging. It is not too hard to find out if you take a brief moment to look.

The recent Dawn of the Dead release is a great example. Universal has made all the boxes identical and the AR listing is very small on the cover of the film. Also on the back,you have to look since the text is fairly small,compared to their older way of labeling aspect ratios.

So the label on the cover is obscured by the shelf they are on. But you know what? If you take your time to look,you will find the correct version easily. Checking the security sticker on the top of the package is the quickest way to tell which is which.

My older brother on the other hand,as much as he likes widescreen. He has 'accidentally' bought a few pan & scan dvds,since he did not bother looking at which was which. He just grabbed the first copy off the shelf and left. Of course after realizing he bought the P&S version. He does'nt want to bother exchanging it,so he just keeps it.

Meanwihle my mom,I have made sure she & my sister when buying dvds for Christmas. To always go for the widescreen version if two versions are released.

So when they bought Mircle and saw "FUllSCREEN" and "WIDESCREEN" listed boldy on the top of the package. They stopped and remembered "What did she say to get? Oh yes,the widescreen"..and that is the version they bought

I am sure they will 'accidentally' start buying P&S once the seperate versions are not so obviouslly labeled on the cover. But oh well,I have done my best..and can only hope they start making sure a new film is widescreen.
Old 11-09-04, 02:03 PM
Suspended

Goddamn only you could make a 9 paragraph response to this type of subject!

Old 11-09-04, 02:16 PM

I hate widescreen and full screen banners on the front covers of dvds. I think it ruins the cover, and plus, I'm not lazy, and if I'm spending $15, I make sure that I've got what I want. I think it's silly to randomly grab a dvd that looks like the one I want and spend the money on it without verifying that it is the right one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.