hardcore collector
6.77%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Are YOU a COMPLETIST?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-04, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are YOU a COMPLETIST?

Looking thru the threads(or sepcifically the thread with pictures!), i begin to wonder if the majority are just DVD collectors or film collectors(of course im sure many are both). However, I see a very wide disparity of tastes in a single collection and that made me wonder. Now onto the fun poll!

1. Are you one to buy whatever's out(not that there's anything wrong with it)?
--"completist", "archive", "library", "different versions", "more the merrier", "spine numbers" ....

2. One who buys whatever catches your fancy?
--"open", "whatever I like", more "mainstream", no specific preferences, on a whim ....

3. One who is a specific buyer?
--"director-oriented", "genre-specific", "good reviews", more "academic", "discerning buyer", "A Big collection not necessarily = Good", "consolidation"....

4. Hardcore collector?
--"I HAVE TO HAVE THAT", "thronging eBay", "MINT condition", "white ring", will pay more than $100 for ONE dvd ....

Feel free to add more descriptions on these 4 categories....

Choose a Side!
Old 11-06-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to be a COMPLETIST. Then I realized I had a bunch of stuff I did not like. I still try to get complete series however, like the whole Bevely Hills Cop, Matrix, BTF, etc. Hell, I even got Speed 2.

I don't get hung up on what others like anymore. I think 95% of Criterions are rentals at best and thus stopped collecting them. I will keep watching and enjoying my mainstream, horror and action movies.

Oh, I voted whatever I fancy
Old 11-06-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I buy what I want and only keep what I like. If I could choose more than 1, i'd go for choices 2-4. I voted for 3, though.
Old 11-06-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Completist
Old 11-06-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
I'm usually a completist, but I tend to collect only the DVDs that have repeatability for me. There are plenty of good and classic films out there, but if I don't feel I'll watch them more than once or twice I don't add them to my collection. I have a little over 300 DVDs and have only had to sell a handful on eBay.
Old 11-06-04, 07:10 PM

Even I am not a competist. It is impossible and there is much material available that even I am not interested in
Austin
Old 11-06-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES, I am A completist. AND what do YOU think of THAT?
Old 11-06-04, 07:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back when CDs first came out and I was buying a lot of those I was a completist... one day I realized I had a TON of JUNK that I really didn't want/like/need. So now (for both CDs and DVDs) I just buy whatever is interesting or if it happens to be in a set (such as Alien4) and I really don't have any choice.
Old 11-06-04, 08:48 PM
Banned

Well shoot...I voted before I read your descriptions.

I voted COMPLETIST because I tend to want to complete series of movies. ie. Mummy, Mummy Returns, Scorpion King; Bad Boys, Bad Boys II; El Mariachi, Desperado, Once Upon a Time in Mexico

But as for buying just anything and everything that's out there...hell no. First, ain't got that kind of money, secondly, only a select few genres interest me. For instance, what speedyray said about Criterions...99% of Criterion titles I haven't even heard of. So I don't have any Criterions in my collection.

I tend to buy (and like) titles that fall into the Sci-Fi, Historical Action Epics, General mainstream action, Westerns, War/Military, and CG animation genres. I'd say about 40% of my collection, by title count is TV shows. And even them are mostly completed collections. I don't understand those who will only buy a select few seasons of a show. What's the difference between Friends S4 and Friends S7? A lot of the times I'll see someone's collection and they'll only have the first season or so of say, Star Trek: TNG. What's up with that? S3-S7 weren't good enough, or part of the story?
Old 11-06-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I buy only what I like. But, doing that sometimes makes me a completist and a hardcore collector.
Old 11-06-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a discerning buyer. When it comes to series flicks like X-Files, Star Trek, Star Gate, Babylon 5, Farscape, and Doctor Who, I try to get everything there is on them.
Old 11-06-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever I fancy. In fact I'm purposely missing films in a series (I have Lethal Weapon 1 &2, Matrix 1, Die Hard 1, BH Cop 1, etc.)
Old 11-06-04, 11:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Whatever I fancy is the closest to me...however, I have two problems...

#1: Many things I fancy do not yet exist on DVD and perhaps never will.

#2: Many things that do exist on DVD are wanted in my collection but I can't find the funds needed to purchase them yet (if ever).

sigh.
Old 11-06-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am a completist when it comes to certain series. I love my Alien Quad set, and will pick up AVP to sit alongside my Predator and predator 2 movies. I hate Alien 4, Predator 2 is mediocre and so is AVP. But hey, I'm a completist so I have them.

Same as how I have the Star Trek SE 1-7. of course, I'm not diehard, so I don't collect criterion or brands, and I won't be buying Star Trek 9 or 10.
Old 11-07-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I used to be a completionist and buy EVERYTHING but I realized that I have stuff that I'll NEVER watch cuz I just don't have the time to watch everything. Plus DVDs for the most part depreciate in value pretty quickly so rather than buying everything right when it comes out, I can usually wait for a price drop or to get it from Columbia House.

I plan on renting more down the line too.
Old 11-07-04, 01:36 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What ever I fancy. Would like to buy more but with so many releases now, its a lot of $$
Old 11-07-04, 05:59 AM

I buy everything. I am a consumer whore!
Old 11-07-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I simply want to make sure that my collection consists COMPLETELY of movies/misc that I enjoy a lot.

If_that means there are about 80 Criterions that will always be missing because I don't particularly like those movies, or that I jump from Nightmare On Elm Street 3 to A New Nightmare or that one or two very early (and totally boring) Hitchcocks have escaped my clutches, that's fine with me.
Old 11-07-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it's a series I like I am a completist, otherwise I buy what catches my fancy or am genre specific. It's too expensive a habit to be hardcore per your description.....hell, it's downright decadent.
Old 11-07-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends. I am a completist when it comes to TV series like MST3K, South Park, Simpsons, etc. I will get anything that comes out for shows that I like.

For films I focus on what I like, but I do want a complete Hitchcock DVD set if ever possible and have all the James Bond DVDs.

Overall I seem to fit the whatever I fancy category.

Last edited by darkside; 11-07-04 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-07-04, 11:49 AM

Whatever I fancy although if I had more $ I'm sure I would be a completist.
Old 11-07-04, 02:14 PM

I'm a completist where I feel I must have all the seasons of a TV series. I can't just start in the middle of a series without starting with season 1. If I don't have season 1, I'll find a way to buy it somehow.

As for movies, I let it slide a little because the re-releases are non stop and sometimes unforeseen. How many different versions of Army of Darkness do I really need when the movie is the same every time? Just a little tired knowing that these companies are doing it to make my hard earned money.
Old 11-07-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Whatever I want, as my tastes lean towards the mainstream. However, I have no desire to gather as much as possible.
Old 11-07-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just buy what I fancy (At the moment im concentrating on TV Shows like Stargate, but will pick up the odd new dvd like Shrek 2 or Ed Wood).
Old 11-07-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
YES, I am A completist. AND what do YOU think of THAT?

Pathetic, just PATHETIC

As for me, only what I fancy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.