Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

'SIX FEET UNDER' to die after fifth season!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ion_sixfeet_dc

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - HBO is preparing a eulogy for "Six Feet Under."

The pay cabler confirmed Friday that the upcoming fifth season of "Six Feet" will be the last for the ensemble drama revolving around the trials and tribulations of a family that runs a mortuary. Series creator/executive producer Alan Ball recently informed HBO executives that he felt the show will have run its creative course by the end of the upcoming 12-episode season.

"Working on 'Six Feet Under' has been enormously fulfilling creatively, but if the show is about anything, it's about the fact that everything comes to an end," Ball said in a statement. "I will miss working with such enormously talented writers, cast, staff and crew and I'll always be grateful to HBO for allowing and encouraging us to tell the story we set out to tell in a challenging and uncompromising way."

"Six Feet" has been a critical darling for HBO, if not a commercial hit on the scale of "The Sopranos" or "Sex and the City," since its 2001 debut. The drama -- whose ensemble cast includes Peter Krause, Michael C. Hall, Rachel Griffiths (news), Lauren Ambrose (news) and Frances Conroy -- has been showered with Emmy nominations -- it earned 16 Emmy bids in 2002, its first year of eligibility, and 23 noms in 2003 -- but has yet to claim the top drama series prize in the annual Emmy derby.

"Six Feet" is a project that has been particularly close to the heart of Carolyn Strauss, HBO entertainment president, who originally dreamed up the notion of doing a series set in a mortuary. She pitched the idea to Ball, who was then hot off the success of his Oscar-winning screenplay for "American Beauty," and the writer-producer fell for it immediately.

"Dealing with death seemed like a very common experience that we could all relate to, and (the mortuary setting) seemed like a great lens for a fairly ironic show," Strauss said. "It also seemed like the kind of show that only (HBO) could do."

Strauss was quick to praise Ball and the rest of the "Six Feet" crew for "all the impressive work. It's been a fantastic experience to be associated with this show," she said.

Production on "Six Feet's" fifth season is set to begin Nov. 16, but a premiere date has not yet been set, Strauss said. Word of "Six Feet's" swan song season comes at a time when HBO is already in a transitional phase after bidding farewell to "Sex and the City" this year, while its other original series tentpole, "The Sopranos," isn't due back for its final season until 2006.

HBO has the sophomore season of its wild Western "Deadwood" on tap to premiere in January, followed in March by the return of Depression-era drama "Carnivale." Other series in the production pipeline at HBO are "Big Love," starring Bill Pullman as a modern-day polygamist in Utah, and the big-budget costume drama "Rome."

Last edited by Lara Means; 11-06-04 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-06-04, 03:12 PM

Wow. HBO had better get some more new dramas if they wanna keep subscribers.
Old 11-06-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-06-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am fine with this. The show is starting to run out of steam, IMO. That is why shows like Sports Night and News Radio will always have a found place in my heart, as they never "jumped the shark" IMO (although both were cancelling and did not leave willingly)

(patiently awaiting people jumping on me for saying a show should end before it gets too bad instead of wanting it to go on into perpetuity like a real fan would)
Old 11-06-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope it goes out on top with something really special at the end.

This show has probably the best cast I have ever seen. Not a weak one in the bunch. Give Frances Conroy and Emmy right now! Kill Allison Janney.
Old 11-06-04, 04:11 PM

I'll miss it, but at least we still have another full season!
Old 11-06-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why can't they go for 13 episodes like Seasons 1-3? I would love an extra hour.

I would think they would want to get as much in as possible.
Old 11-06-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally posted by movieking
I am fine with this. The show is starting to run out of steam, IMO.
I actually agree with you. I think the characters have run their course and the quality has gone down a little bit with this past season. I personally think this is one of the best shows to ever grace the television set but I would love for it to end well than to dwindle away (as ER has).
Old 11-06-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Good show, but I think it's better to leave too soon than stay around too long (like the X-Files).
Old 11-07-04, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good to hear it. The last 2 seasons have proven that the show has run its course.
Old 11-07-04, 05:06 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
bummer. IMO, even though the past two seasons of this show were not as good as the first two, they were still better than 95% of the drama's on network television.
Old 11-07-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Geofferson
bummer. IMO, even though the past two seasons of this show were not as good as the first two, they were still better than 95% of the drama's on network television.
I completely agree with your entire statement. The only shows that rival this are all cable related...network has definitely gone down the drain in sheer quality (save for a few shows - AD being one -- that needs to be converted to HBO or FX right now!)
Old 11-07-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gr8fuldave
Wow. HBO had better get some more new dramas if they wanna keep subscribers.
The Wire
Carnivale
Deadwood
Old 11-08-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Thrush
The Wire
Carnivale
Deadwood
Not one of those has held my attention in the same way that Sopranos or Six Feet Under have, so the fact that both of these are about to have their final season leaves me wondering whether I'll stick around with HBO. (The only other show that has completely engaged me is Entourage.)
Old 11-08-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow.. that will definately be a loss. And the new shows haven't caught my attention either. Entourage is fun tho.

They need another great drama. I remember getting blown away by SFU's first episode after another show I watched. (Sex and the City? Sopranos? I forget the lead in...)

HBO will find one.
Old 11-08-04, 05:01 PM
Banned

Personally, I think HBO already has that Drama hit, but has yet to premiere. The epic-sounding Rome, which I believe will debut next year, will be the next Hit that HBO needs I believe.

2006 should be a good year for the Network

1) Deadwood

2) The Sopranos(final season)

3) Rome
Old 11-08-04, 05:03 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
First Bush and now this...what a bummer next four years...
Old 11-08-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Thrush
The Wire
Carnivale
Deadwood
The three best, most interesting dramas on American TV.
Old 11-08-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RoQuEr
Good to hear it. The last 2 seasons have proven that the show has run its course.
Originally posted by brianluvdvd
I think the characters have run their course and the quality has gone down a little bit with this past season.
Originally posted by movieking
I am fine with this. The show is starting to run out of steam
Old 11-29-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone know when the new season starts?
Old 11-29-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Lara Means
...after I take off these ugly ass sandals.