Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

After The Sunset Review

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

After The Sunset Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After The Sunset Review

Last night I saw the new Pierce Brosnan flick AFTER THE SUNSET (which sneaks nationwide tonight). It's a heist kind of flick directed with great style and efficiency by Brett Ratner. The movie costars Selma Hayek (who is looking extremely fit), Woody Harrelson and Don Cheadle. It was very briskly paced, had some great characters and a few pretty good laughs. For an entertaining crime picture, I can't think of anything recently that would be better.

The cast does a great job making the story fun and even though the "twists" aren't that surprising, the movie was still very enjoyable and fans of Ratner or Brosnan will certainly not be disappointed. If you're looking for a fun caper type flick, then this flick is for you.

MATT
Old 11-06-04, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Are there really "fans of Ratner"?
Old 11-06-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: After The Sunset Review

Originally posted by mdc3000
It's a heist kind of flick directed with great style and efficiency by Brett Ratner.
Now, I know Matt's not a plant....but the phrase "great style" and Brett Ratner strikes me as very very odd.
Old 11-06-04, 01:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by William Fuld
Are there really "fans of Ratner"?
I'll stand up and be counted!

I have liked all his films so far.
Old 11-06-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: After The Sunset Review

Originally posted by mdc3000
For an entertaining crime picture, I can't think of anything recently that would be better.
Comparatively speaking, better than new The Italian Job or the new Ocean's 11?
Old 11-06-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: After The Sunset Review

Originally posted by Corvin
Exactly. I can think of about 10 or so other heist films that looked better than After The Sunset.
Old 11-06-04, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a second I thought Richard Linklater quickly whipped out a sequel to Before Sunrise
Old 11-08-04, 05:56 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

i am so looking forward to checking this out
Old 11-08-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: After The Sunset Review

Originally posted by Corvin
well, TIJ is over 12 months old, and Ocean's 12 isn't out for another month...so in the last year, this is one of the better recent crime flicks...I said RECENT. :P

MATT
Old 11-08-04, 09:51 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Nice to see Woody Harrelson back on the big screen. Been a while (Play it to the Bone was his last, I think).
Old 11-08-04, 08:30 PM

According to Hollywood Reporter, the heist comedy did very well and had a positive reaction from audiences.

New Line's "After the Sunset," which opens next Friday, had 1,000 sneaks Saturday night, generating positive reactions. The action-adventure film, starring Pierce Brosnan, Salma Hayek and Woody Harrelson and directed by Brett Ratner, had numerous sellouts and averaged 85% capacity. The audience was mostly 30 and older and was evenly split male/female.

Audiences were laughing throughout the movie.

Last edited by sprinterX; 11-08-04 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-08-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to the New York premier of this movie tomorrow night with Salma Hayek & Pierce Brosnan in attendance, along with the director & some of the rest of the cast.

I dig Brosnan in his non-Bond roles & I am in love with Salma, can't wait to see her boobies in person.
Old 11-09-04, 10:36 AM

I'll be attending a screening of this tonight.
Old 11-09-04, 10:54 AM

It's a good film. Light and fluffy, and it has no idea how to end, but the performances work, and the locations are to die for.

Plus, for Salma fans, this film is in love with her body.
Old 11-09-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by scott shelton

I am looking forward to this movie. But mainly I want to see Salma!
Old 11-10-04, 08:54 AM

Saw a screening of this last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. Very light fare with several laughs. Brosnan, Harrelson and Hayek were all having a good time and not taking the material too seriously. My only complaint was due to the lack of screentime (storyline) for Don Cheadle's character.
Old 11-10-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Plus, for Salma fans, this film is in love with her body. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me
Old 11-10-04, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by rexinnih
Very much so. She spends half of the film in a bikini.
Old 11-10-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm in love with her body!
Old 11-12-04, 08:59 AM

Ebert's 2-star review here.
Old 11-12-04, 10:19 AM

JoBlo

review

"Basically, it’s a 'cute' date movie or video rental that is likely to be appreciated by most anyone on an aesthetic front, and likely entertain most enough to be satisfied as you walk out of the theater, but not fulfilling enough to restrain in your memory banks for over an hour after the movie is done. Especially after you 'do your business' following the viewing. Wow."

Film Jerk

review

"'Sunset' opens with the actual crime being committed. The rest of the film is devoted to life after the thievery, where the spoils of victory can be enjoyed to their fullest potential. It’s a great start to this spirited, sun-drenched caper comedy."
Old 11-12-04, 11:52 AM

http://www.cinecon.com/review.php?id=afterthesunset
After the Sunset
New Line Cinema

Release Date: November 12, 2004
Cast: Pierce Brosnan, Woody Harrelson, Salma Hayek, Don Cheadle, Naomie Harris
(3 out of 4)

By Sean Chavel

“After the Sunset” is a sexy caper movie that benefits significantly from the appeal of its stars. Pierce Brosnan and Salma Hayek play a criminal couple who retire to the Bahama Islands after their last big score, and Woody Harrelson plays an FBI agent with a score to settle. The Bahamas is a great setting for a movie and is especially a perfect locale accommodation for this light and breezy entertainment.

That’s a real surprise considering that most of director Brett Ratner’s films are top-heavy on kinetic action and noise. Ratner’s oeuvre is made up of deliberately tailored franchise movies like “Money Talks” (which had talks of a sequel that never happened), “Rush Hour” series and “Red Dragon,” an inferior entry into the Hannibal Lecter series. “The Family Man” with Nicolas Cage was an exception and although it was a fairly effective identity-crisis fantasy, it was in the end just a little too hokey. With the exception of a shaky and confusing intro that involves a heist in and around a basketball arena, Ratner has nonetheless found a pleasurable rhythm with this new movie, as it has the same kind of appeal as “Out of Time” with Denzel Washington last year. It’s casually exciting and vibrantly funny without pushing it too far.

Max (Brosnan) and Lola (Hayek) share their perfect little home off of the beach – the kind of house made of products found at Bombay furniture boutique. Max and Lola spend their evenings eating lobster, club dancing, relaxing in the Jacuzzi and occasionally putting on a small con with gullible tourists. As for Hollywood glamour, Brosnan and Hayek always look like they are ready for a camera shoot for In Style magazine – they are always projecting ‘cool.’ Brosnan fans will rejoice – this is the Brosnan movie for those who liked “The Thomas Crown Affair.” This is a definite step up from his last film “Laws of Attraction” – which is one of the year’s most singularly awful movies. Hayek leaves her Oscar-nominated performance in “Frida” behind and returns to the screen as a sexy and playful heroine who is sometimes demanding and often fussy. This is like her role in something like “Desperado,” but she’s smarter and more headstrong here.

As for the caper, it revolves around a famous Napolean diamond that is worth countless millions of dollars. For one week, it is scheduled to be featured on a cruise ship docked at sea. Stan (Harrelson) arrives on the island in effort to entice Max into stealing the diamond. Stan really wants to nab him and Max knows that, but Max’s compulsive interest in the diamond keeps tickling the criminal inside him. Max is a hobbyist that craves danger and jeopardy – and the challenge of stealing a diamond that is securely guarded by top laser-beam security. Lola is the kind of women that gives her man ultimatums if he chooses to pursue trouble, but that doesn’t necessarily stop Max.

The caper itself is not as technically persuasive as most caper movies, it seems to be pulled off by a couple of convenient gadgets and by overall bravado and guts. But there is a clever twist with the characters where motives are hidden and then finally revealed with climatic satisfaction. The whole movie leading up to it is an unexpected pleasure in the way it handles Max and Stan’s relationship. It recalls the recent film “Collateral” with Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx – they’re adversaries but emerging buddies at the same time. Stan is paired up with a female counterpart, too, when he’s joined by island police authority Sophie (Naomie Harris from ”28 Days Later”). All of these characters become entangled with each other’s lives, but it’s spiced up by the various juvenile games that they play. Max and Stan engage in petty little revenge games on each other, mostly embarrassing the women around them. When Max finds a wiretap in his home, he feeds wicked messages into Stan’s earpiece as a joke. Stan is more of a buddy who wants to be a better buddy – he blackmails Max to join him for a fishing trip which has more or less its share of uncomfortable homoerotic undertones.

As with most good comic thrillers, the plot is supplied with a wild card supporting player. Don Cheadle plays the island’s most distinguishable gangster, a once-reputable crime figure from Detroit who has relocated to the islands to organized racketeering in tropical paradise. For viewers that have seen enough film noirs from the ’40’s, Cheadle is playing the Peter Lorre part – he’s a double-crossing rat. Cheadle also sees the diamond theft as a big score, and figures it would be most advantageous to get Max to steal it for him. This sets up a plot triangle: between Brosnan, Harrelson and Cheadle, who is scamming who? After the Sunset is gripping for the larger part because it keeps its audience in a guessing game. Even when the film has less going on in it than it should it still sustains its magnetism – you’re beguiled by how sizzling hot Brosnan and Hayek look together. All in all, this is not a film that anyone would be confused as being important, but it’s one of the most fun entertainments out right now.
Old 11-12-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There was no juice, no pizazz, to the film, it's directed rather lazily, and the cat-n-mouse games between Brosnan's and Harrelson's characters didn't really engage me fully as a viewer. Similar in theme, "The Thomas Crown Affair" was a much more entertaining film than "After the Sunset".

I never really bought into the chemistry between the Brosnan and Hayek characters, and the female Jamaican cop character was a caricature as well.

Sure, there are some fun bits here and there (male bonding between thief and FBI agent), but they don't add up to a satisfying macro storyline.

I give it 2.5 stars or a grade of C+.

Last edited by Patman; 11-12-04 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-14-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I'd give it *** out of *****. And the eye-candy that is Salma is responsible for a couple of those. Not a bad film, but it could have been much better. Glad to see Woody working again.

And did I mention Salma?
Old 11-14-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really didn't enjoy this movie. Lots of the love scenes made me cringe and the camraderie between Woody's and Pierce's characters was really forced. I got no feel for the characters and the twists at the end were just blah. The only good thing about this movie was the eyecandy....locations and femalebodywise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.