Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Doll Master (Korean DVD) - Problem

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Towards the end of the movie, the english subs disappeared! I tried to re-activate them with the remote and thru the menu by no dice. It's not dramatic since the story had already unfolded and there is little dialogue left but I'd still like to know what was said in the last 2 scenes!

So, if you have that DVD, did you have the same problem? If not, can you please tell me what was said in:

Spoiler:

At the end when all the dolls "awaken" inside the house the man and the girl flee outside thru a broken window. The man falls, then he points to the statue and says something to the girl. I assume it's something like "destroy that statue" which the girl proceeds to do but what did he say exactly?

After that, what does the girl say in the last scene where they are standing in front of a fire and she throws a doll head in it?

As for the film itself, it's not bad considering it's that director's first film. Not up to par with A Tale of Two Sisters but one of the better efforts in the Korean horror genre lately along with The Uninvited. There is little depth to the characters which means you don't really care what happens to them and the villains are stereotypical but there are enough scares and plot twists to keep you interested. Oddly enough, a few reviews I've read afterwards mention that the pacing is too slow and that only the ending was satisfying. I felt the exact opposite. The movie took it's time to establish a creepy atmosphere but I thought that the ending was way over the top and didn't blend that well with the rest of the film. But then again, I rather enjoy slow paced films which don't try to hook you up using one scare a minute.
Old 11-05-04, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup my dvd is buggered too

the film while far from the best Korean horror, it did its job and I liked it I guess, nothing fancy and nothing memorable, but it did its job quite well and the leading lady was good until the final act where she was a little irratating

do you have any idea what the RANDOM EVENT is? is it a time event extra feature thingie?

Its a shame the dvd subs are messed up at the end,

Spoiler:

but hey I think the actual subs for the end come up early just as the the dolls awake the subs come up just before they start going out the window, they seem to be the subs that suposed to be over the last moments of the film so they are messed up subs indeed, at least they didnt go off earlier, but still quality control where are you!?
Old 11-05-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah crap, maybe it's just a bad batch for that title then. I'll have to watch the ending again and see if I notice when the subs start going goofy.

I haven't watched any of the special features yet.
Old 11-06-04, 07:00 AM

I am not sure if I should dend mine back and get a refund and just wait a few months then buy it agaion and risk the si=ubs being fixed, hey I may never watch it again, but will be nice to own a full working copy I guess.
Old 11-06-04, 07:08 AM

I was just about to place an order for this...might hold off for a little while
Old 11-06-04, 07:18 AM

I am not sure how Korea works, hope they recall dvds? but I am not sure exactly what they will do as long as it works for native koreans really subs aint a high priority and the problem may never get sorted, its not a serious problem, but it is an irratation.
Old 11-08-04, 04:05 PM

Yesasia.com has a notice up on this title saying the dvd producers are aware of the problem and have no plans to fix it.
Old 11-08-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well geez, that's nice!
Old 11-09-04, 11:23 AM

I thought as much, still it doesnt ruin the film, may be worth getting the cheapo R3 HK dvd when it comes out.