DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

More TITANIC: SE news [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More TITANIC: SE news

source: thedigitalbits.com

A few weeks ago, we mentioned the possibility that Paramount was going to be releasing a new special collector's edition of James Cameron's Titanic in 2005. We have a little bit of new information. The DVD production work on the title will be handled by 20th Century Fox. Word has leaked out of Fox's European operation that the title is expected to be a 4-disc edition, tentatively set for release in the Summer of 2005. This seems to confirm what we've heard from our industry sources - specifically that the studio was considering a 4-disc presentation. However, from what we've heard, production has not yet officially begun on the title (or is only just starting to happen). NOTHING is set in stone about this release yet, and our sources are telling us that a late 2005 (4th Qtr) release at the earliest is more likely. So don't start counting your chickens yet, but if you're a fan, be comforted in knowing that a better DVD version of the film is finally on the radar in a more substantial way.
Old 11-05-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope this is true. It is one of the missing titles I want in my collection...but I refuse to settle with the current dvd.
Old 11-05-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
This is NOT slated for R1 at this time. That is evident from the statement itself. Shame on the TDB for not making that clearer.
Old 11-05-04, 03:24 PM

I'm sure we'll see it though. Come on.
Old 11-05-04, 03:27 PM
Cool New Member

I just saw this at http://www.davisdvd.com/news/spy.html

Titanic

According to Italian home theater magazine AF Digitale, 20th Century Fox may be in the process of finally releasing the long-awaited Titanic: Special Edition in early 2005. Details are still a bit sketchy, but the magazine reports that the film will receive a mega four-disc set featuring a new DTS ES 6.1 audio track. Of the extras, expect commentaries, deleted footage and mountains of other bonus material. Keep in mind that nothing official has been announced yet. But the fact that it is being reported by a major European publication is good news. My only hesitation is the "early 2005" timeframe. A DVD project of this magnitude would take a good amount of time and planning. For an early 2005 release date, this thing must be in production already, or even nearing completion. So if it has been in production for some time, why haven't we heard rumblings about it until now? Stay tuned for more information if, and when, it is revealed. Thanks to Andrea Alfonso for the scoop.
Old 11-05-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been waiting on this for so long. I hope they do an all-new retrospective docu or something like "The Beginning" from Phantom Menace.
Old 11-05-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Woo-Hoo!!
Old 11-05-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking forward to this, especially a four disc presentation (I'd imagine splitting up the film on two disc). Wonder if there will be an option for an extended version of the film (like so many other Cameron flicks like T2, Aliens, Abyss). I'll definitely be picking it up.

However, if memory serves, Fox distributed this film overseas and Paramount did it in the states. I know Paramount distributed the barebones DVD here as well, so why would Fox be distributing the four disc in anywhere but overseas (which could mean that'd we'd be getting a not as cool SE from Paramount, as there SE's are no where near as good as Fox's)?
Old 11-05-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope so!
Old 11-05-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is great news...I know I shouldnt get excited, but I cant help it. Been waiting for this for a while now.
Old 11-05-04, 05:18 PM
Banned

Being 4 discs might lead one to believe that one of those discs may contain some of those National Geographic specials, similar to what was on the Black Hawk Down Deluxe Edition.
Old 11-05-04, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
Being 4 discs might lead one to believe that one of those discs may contain some of those National Geographic specials, similar to what was on the Black Hawk Down Deluxe Edition.
i guess it will be like the LOTR EE set
the movie will be split into two disks, since a dts track and commentaries will be inclluded. the other 2 disks will be extras
Old 11-05-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know he shot allot more historical footage but left it out in favor of more love story. I'm a fanatic for anything historical. Count me in on this when it is finally released
Old 11-05-04, 05:59 PM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
can't wait!
Old 11-05-04, 06:27 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't wait
Old 11-05-04, 06:45 PM

More Billy Zane please

or not!

I still find it hard to beleve that the old edition was soo bad, the Biggest film of all time and still no sign of the Ultimate dvd set it deserves, no matter how many people like or dislike the film it IS the biggest film and maybe always will be. So for that reason we need the best dvd set of all time for it.

soon please, with free lifesize replica of the Ship.
Old 11-05-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have my doubts that a Titanic SE DVD will ever get made. I really hope it does. But it seems JC is do busy making his docs.
Old 02-10-05, 05:48 PM

New update:

"Here's a big title a lot of you have been waiting for. In fact, one might even call it a titanic title. Yes... we've confirmed with our industry sources that a multi-disc Titanic: Special Collector's Edition is finally in production (and yes, with anamorphic widescreen video). Fox will release it internationally, while Paramount will release it here in the States. According to our sources, the tentative plan calls for having it on store shelves in the 4th Qtr of this year. IF that's the case, we believe that Paramount and Fox would have to make official announcements sometime in the next few months. Stay tuned for more on this as it develops."

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
Old 02-10-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw
New update:

"Here's a big title a lot of you have been waiting for. In fact, one might even call it a titanic title. Yes... we've confirmed with our industry sources that a multi-disc Titanic: Special Collector's Edition is finally in production (and yes, with anamorphic widescreen video). Fox will release it internationally, while Paramount will release it here in the States. According to our sources, the tentative plan calls for having it on store shelves in the 4th Qtr of this year. IF that's the case, we believe that Paramount and Fox would have to make official announcements sometime in the next few months. Stay tuned for more on this as it develops."

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
Old 02-10-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Old 02-10-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good to hear. I knew it would come out eventually. This is a big holdout for me, as like others, I refuse to get the snapper.
Old 02-10-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Figured they would release it in late 2005 to capitalize on the holiday season.

I would get excited if it weren't for the fact that it is Paramount doing the releasing over here and they tend to always find a way to give the minimum while asking for the maximum. With the exception of the Godfather set, I have yet to see Paramount do an outstanding release of a SE.
Old 02-10-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well Top Gun was good, Once Upon a Time in the West, Forrest Gump had a bunch of features.

Titanic wasn't in a snapper.
Old 02-10-05, 08:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
With the exception of the Godfather set, I have yet to see Paramount do an outstanding release of a SE.
Godfather set was piss poor, IMHO. While others complain about the video quality and the lack of original mono tracks, the extras were (for the most part) a rehash of things already seen on other boxed sets of the trilogy.

I'm VERY much looking forward to retiring my non-anamorphic copy of Titanic for this boxed set.
Old 02-10-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Talented Mr. Ripley, Tomb Raider 1 & 2, Sleepy Hollow, Changing Lanes, Mission: Impossible 2, Deep Impact, The Italian Job, The Hunt for Red October, The Score, We Were Soldiers, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Metallica: Some Kind of Monster, Sunset Boulevard, Narc, The Hours, Friday the 13th Collection, The Sum of All Fears, Fatal Attraction, The Indiana Jones Collection...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.