Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What the Bleep Do We KNow?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-02-04, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody seen this movie? Your thoughts...

Reviews on RottenTomatoes are mixed, some love it, some call it new age hooey. Some people are seeing it many times. Debating whether to see it at the theatre or wait. What the bleep to do?
Old 11-02-04, 05:32 PM
Suspended

I thought it was interesting - but the movie was more of an overview than in-depth - but then, its a BIG subject for just 2 hours.

The ideas presented are just a bit too "out there" for mainstream audiences, but it seems a solid enough theory. Do I subscribe to their point of view - perhaps just a touch. I'm certainly not informed enough to make a full opinion, but it seems logical to me.
Old 11-02-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering the movie has been shown to be a hoax promoting the Ramtha cult, and the "experts" shown in the movie are members of said cult, my thoughts are not very favorable to the movie.
Old 11-02-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And yet you haven't seen it...
Old 11-02-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by renaldow
And yet you haven't seen it...
What the bleep do you know? Nothing in my post indicated whether I have seen it or not.

Don't jump to conclusions.
Old 11-03-04, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
What the bleep do you know? Nothing in my post indicated whether I have seen it or not.

I wasn't. I could be remembering incorrectly though. In my post about the DVD I thought you'd said you hadn't. Things do happen when I'm not around though. So did you?
Old 11-03-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When you wrote that thread, I had not seen it. I have now.
Old 11-03-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Excellent.
Old 11-04-04, 04:32 PM

i watched most of it before walking out.
i was interested in hearing what they had to say but it was presented too much like an infomercial with SUPER CHEESY special effects and corny acting.

There was a lot of "reality/perception is actually like this" talk without any explanation of why they thought that way. You were just supposed to take it for granted and then thank them for enlightening you on their truths.
Old 03-20-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Bit of a thread resurrection here, but I just saw this... well, the first half, couldn't take any more of it...

The actress... the deaf one (that should narrow it down, for those that haven't seen it)... was she supposed to be acting poorly, as part of the dramatic effect? Or was it just a bad movie, along with bad science?

I agree with one of the last posters, there wasn't any attempt at proof or justification of their notions, just "this is the way it is. look, pretty lights!"
Old 03-20-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Considering the movie has been shown to be a hoax promoting the Ramtha cult, and the "experts" shown in the movie are members of said cult, my thoughts are not very favorable to the movie.
Hmm... tell me more about this... Ramtha cult.
Old 03-20-05, 09:23 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Old 03-20-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trigger
Hmm... tell me more about this... Ramtha cult.
From the Skeptic's Dictionary:
Ramtha is a 35,000 year-old spirit-warrior who appeared in J.Z. Knight’s kitchen in Tacoma, Washington in 1977. Knight claims that she is Ramtha’s channel. She also owns the copyright to Ramtha and conducts sessions in which she pretends to go into a trance and speaks Hollywood’s version of Elizabethan English in a guttural, husky voice. She has thousands of followers and has made millions of dollars performing as Ramtha at seminars ($1,000 a crack) and at her Ramtha School of Enlightenment, and from the sales of tapes, books, and accessories (Clark and Gallo 1993). She must have hypnotic powers. Searching for self-fulfillment, otherwise normal people obey her command to spend hours blindfolded in a cold, muddy, doorless maze. In the dark, they seek what Ramtha calls the ‘void at the center.’

Knight says she used to be “spiritually restless,” but not any more. Ramtha from Atlantis via Lemuria has enlightened her. He first appeared to her, she says, while she was in business school having extraordinary experiences with UFOs. She must have a great rapport with her spirit companion, since he shows up whenever she needs him to put on a performance. It is not clear why Ramtha would choose Knight, but it is very clear why Knight would choose Ramtha: fame and fortune, or simple delusion.
You can read more by follwing the link. If you scroll down, there is a review of the movie in question.
Old 03-20-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
What a whack-o... So is this movie better than Battlefield Earth or not?
Old 03-21-05, 12:32 AM

this is one of the worst movies i've ever seen. And as a horror fan, i've seen some bad ones...
Old 03-21-05, 01:48 AM

I remember being in complete awe after seeing it, but the crazy Ramtha lady kept me from really becoming immersed in the concepts presented. Then a few days later, I couldn't remember for the life of me why it was such an Earth-shattering film or why it was so important. You're not missing anything by not seeing this movie
Old 03-21-05, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've never heard of this. Do you have a link?

As for the movie, I thought it was kind of interesting. The acting portion was crap, but some of the ideas were fun to think about...
Old 03-21-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by solipsta
I've never heard of this. Do you have a link?

As for the movie, I thought it was kind of interesting. The acting portion was crap, but some of the ideas were fun to think about...
He posted a link a few posts down. I've heard the same thing and am waiting for Penn and Teller to do a show on it.
Old 03-21-05, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i liked it. in a way it was cheesy both in context and performance, but none the less, it is watchable.

it doesn't matter if you agree or disagree, questions are posed that enable you to think for yourself, accepting or disagreeing or a mixture of both.

my only complaint is that with the on camera interviews it is kind of shown in a documentery way and nothing is documented. of course this subject matter can't be, but it was the other things, such as the pictures of various water, some blessed others "cursed." was that truely done? by watching the film alone i have no idea.
Old 03-21-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We know it's all a scam, that's what the bleep we know
Old 03-21-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In regards to the post asking about the cursed/blessed water "reactions"...you can read and see more pictures of it in the book referenced by the movie: The Hidden Messages in Water" by Masaru Emoto.

I saw "Bleep" in the theater and bought the DVD, I enjoyed the flick overall. The Ramtha chick...didn't work for me at all...but there were other thoughts/views that sounded interesting that I'd like to look into a bit more.