DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Laura Finally March 15

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Laura Finally March 15

Per Barrie Maxwell post on Home Theater Forum

In 2005 Fox will start quarterly film noir series in addition to Studio Classics series which is also going quarterly instead of monthly.

Per post the 1st film noir releases will be"
Call Northside 777 (1948, with James Stewart), Laura (1944, with Dana Andrews), and Hush … Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964, with Bette Davis). The latter is not usually grouped with film noir, but that's what Fox is currently reporting."

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...40#post2441440

Last edited by Classic Films; 11-01-04 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-01-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
He's actually quoting Digital Bits:

This information will appear in this week's upcoming Classic Coming Attractions Column at The Digital Bits, but I thought people would be interested to have the following news right away.
Fox will be altering its approach to releasing titles in its Studio Classics series in 2005. Instead of one release per month, waves of three to four titles will be released four times a year. The first wave will appear in February (likely the 1st - there's some question about the actual date) and will include Leave Her to Heaven (1945, with Gene Tierney), A Letter to Three Wives (1949, with Jeanne Crain), and Return to Peyton Place (1961, with Jeff Chandler). The new Film Noir series will debut on March 15th with three titles: Call Northside 777 (1948, with James Stewart), Laura (1944, with Dana Andrews), and Hush … Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964, with Bette Davis). The latter is not usually grouped with film noir, but that's what Fox is currently reporting."

I'll be happy to have each and every title mentioned!
Old 11-01-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barrie Maxwell writes the Coming Attractions column.
Old 11-01-04, 10:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually preferred the monthly releases but I notice that this new release schedule is a way to draw attention away from the weaker releases, such is the case with Return to Peyton Place. Mediocre at best as it is not as good as the original. The other two are gems though.

But the three Noir Line starters are excellent, except that Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte is released out of the Noir era and can be considered more of a Thriller.

Also, where the heck is Stanley Donen's Two for the Road?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
It would have been nice to have that in February just in time for Valentine's Day. I am expecting a 2005 release for this though, I dunno but just am.

Oh yeah, and I would expect Hitchcock's Lifeboat to be released as part of the Studio Classics line as a commentary track for it was recorded last month.

Last edited by smirnoffski; 11-01-04 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-01-04, 10:45 PM

I'm glad to finally have the noir series coming out, though I'm disappointed that it won't be one every month. Not sure what to think about Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte, because that isn't a noir - it's out of the era. It may be that it's a Studio Classic while Leave Her to Heaven is a noir series release, but that would bug me a little too because LHTH is in color - another no-no for noirs. We shall see I suppose!
Old 11-01-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
I remember at one time I had this title pre-ordered ... about five years ago. Did anyone else? I distinctly recall being really excited that it was finally coming out and then it was yanked from the schedule. Glad to see that it is finally coming out, even if did take years. By the way, does anyone remember offhand why Laura was delayed? I just can't remember for sure the why about the delay.
Old 11-01-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kingtopher
Not sure what to think about Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte, because that isn't a noir - it's out of the era. It may be that it's a Studio Classic while Leave Her to Heaven is a noir series release...
That's just what I was thinking. Charlotte and Leave Her to Heaven should switch series.
Old 11-01-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Glad Call Northside 777 is coming but disappointed that no news when the original Kiss of Death starring Victor Mature and Richard Widmark is being released.
Old 11-02-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually preferred the monthly releases but I notice that this new release schedule is a way to draw attention away from the weaker releases, such is the case with Return to Peyton Place. Mediocre at best as it is not as good as the original. The other two are gems though.
A Letter To Three Wives is another Joe (All About Eve) Mankiewicz mini-masterpiece that i can't wait to get.
that release alone is going to make Feb for me, but even better, Leave Her To Heaven- a movie i have always wanted to see but haven't, is getting released probably on the same day.
this is great, GREAT news.
Old 11-02-04, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Gerry P.
That's just what I was thinking. Charlotte and Leave Her to Heaven should switch series.
Don't worry they will; apparently it's an error. HHSC will be in the Studio Classics range, LHTH will be in the new Noir series.
Old 11-02-04, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by John Hodson
Don't worry they will; apparently it's an error. HHSC will be in the Studio Classics range, LHTH will be in the new Noir series.
What's your source for that?
Old 11-02-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Leave Her to Heaven, A Letter to Three Wives & Laura will be preorders/first-day purchases for me...and, like smirnoffski, I am very disappointed not to see Lifeboat and/or Two for the Road on Fox's release list.
Old 11-03-04, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by kingtopher
What's your source for that?
Oops! Looks like I've interpreted someone else's comment as fact when, on another look, it's wishful thinking - sorry about that!

But it must be a Fox typo, musn't it?
Old 11-03-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a big big fan of the Fox Studio Classic series, and I'm absolutely thrilled about the new Noir series. However, I'm really disappointed with the move to quarterly releases. I always looked forward to picking up a new classic DVD the first Tuesday of every month. It's gotten to be a kind of tradition over the past two years.