Dead Like Me - 10/31/04

Old 11-01-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead Like Me - 10/31/04

From showtime.com
Haunted
Spoiler:
Halloween is a busy day for the Reapers as a serial killer stalks the city.

A damn fine season finale IMO. Some questions though:

Spoiler:
so at the end, did reggie see the real georgia or not? Also, did the serial strangler kill himself? Last question, I thought they only did accident related deaths?
Old 11-01-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
I don't think Reggie saw the "real" George, but I think Reggie "knows" that it was George... does that make sense?

I, like George, didn't care how the serial killer died, but it seemed as though the gravelings had been using the guy for a very long time to cause some deaths and maybe were finally done with him? Remember George seeing the graveling when she was at his house when she was younger....

What sort of surprised me was that there was no media attention in the episode about the serial killer if he'd been doing this on Halloween since the time George was 10 or 11 years old -- that would be like 7 or 8 years??

I'd have to go back and watch again, but were all the serial killer's victims at addresses that only ended in "59"?

I don't think they do just accident related deaths -- I can't remember the terminology, but I think it was something along the lines of "untimely deaths" -- murder, accidents, mayhem and etc...

Great last line too!

I'm going to miss my fix every week and I'd LOVE some reassurance that they're returning next year....

Last edited by SMB-IL; 11-01-04 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-01-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
I thought they only handled accidental deaths as well but since all of last night's deaths were murders so maybe their charter has expanded to any unnatural deaths?

At least they did explain the whole "does George look different" issue in general. It's unclear who Reggie saw since Rube specifically said that on Halloween people could see the reapers as their true selves but the story with the Day of the Dead complicates matters.

Overall it was a good finale. I assume Showtime has picked it up for another season but I don't remember any news about it.
Old 11-01-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great season finale and a great season. So do we have to wait another 10 months for the next season now.
Old 11-01-04, 03:49 PM
Red

I too will miss this show until next season.

I think they've reaped murder victims before. Remember the episode where George was interviewing candidates for a temp job and then at the end, the guy who was looking for the temp goes postal and kills off a bunch of people because Happytime couldn't get the temp to him in time. And, there was another episode where Daisy reaped the soul of a woman killed by her lover because the woman wouldn't break off the affair - and Daisy writes down the killer's name on a note pad.

What's interesting is George not waiting around to guide the killer into the light - guess there's no light for people like that? Maybe George is the super reaper with powers to reap bad people.
Old 11-01-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kiffany doesn't seem to notice any difference in the reapers' appearances, yet Krystal and that old guy see the reapers as they once were. So either there's more to Kiffany than we know, or Krystal and that old guy made very good guesses.

That 659 reap was so sad.
Old 11-01-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally posted by the big train
Kiffany doesn't seem to notice any difference in the reapers' appearances, yet Krystal and that old guy see the reapers as they once were. So either there's more to Kiffany than we know, or Krystal and that old guy made very good guesses.

That 659 reap was so sad.
The old guy saw Daisy as she was because it was Halloween. Do we know that Kiffany sees their original form? I guess I never got that impression.
Old 11-02-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kiffany may know more than she lets on. They have obviously been going to the waffle house for many years. Their conversations wouldn't be that hard to pick up on. She also didn't raise an eyebrow when Roxy shot Mason.
Old 11-02-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lisadoris
I thought they only handled accidental deaths as well but since all of last night's deaths were murders so maybe their charter has expanded to any unnatural deaths?

Daisy handled the murder of the mistress in the hotel room midway through the season, correct?
Old 11-02-04, 08:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This episode did clear up a couple things we've been debating in recent threads:

1. The Reapers still look different than they did in life (except, it seems, on Halloween). But I still maintain that "Millie" must look a hell of a lot cuter than she did in season 1.

2. George could see Gravelings when she was alive as a child.
Old 11-02-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Thrush
Kiffany may know more than she lets on. They have obviously been going to the waffle house for many years. Their conversations wouldn't be that hard to pick up on. She also didn't raise an eyebrow when Roxy shot Mason.
I've wondered if Reapers have assistants of some kind. Kiffany might be someone that has died, but serves as a helper (of sorts) to the Reapers home base, if you will.

Interesting end to this season. I'm looking forward to a season 3.
Old 11-02-04, 09:45 AM

Didn't they say that people that knew you when you were alive will see their true appearance? I assume since Kiffany didn't know any of them when they were living, she just saw their reaper appearance.

Granted, I still think she knows more than they are telling us...
Old 11-02-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is her name really Kiffany? Did you see a name tag or something? I always just thought it was Tiffany.
Old 11-02-04, 12:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's Kiffany. It's on her name tag (and the end credits, I believe).
Old 11-02-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
This episode did clear up a couple things we've been debating in recent threads:

1. The Reapers still look different than they did in life (except, it seems, on Halloween). But I still maintain that "Millie" must look a hell of a lot cuter than she did in season 1.

2. George could see Gravelings when she was alive as a child.
Agreed and agreed. Damn it, looks like I was wrong on the graveling thing. I just think it's weird that George has never mentioned in any of her monologues that she has always been able to see Gravelings.

Nice ep. Cool way to end the season. I got the impression that Reggie saw George. Maybe not, but that's what I think until they prove me wrong. Now Krystal and Kiffany are the questions. Maybe you only appear as your former self to people who knew you before you died, or something. I don't know. Some of their rules still don't play out very well. But I try not to think about it, cause the show is so damn entertaining.

Glad to see the serial killer get his. I don't know that he was killing all these years. Maybe he was just creepy all these years, and finally went out and started killing this year.

Oh, I think at the beginning of the show, Rube says their department is "outside influences", or something to that effect.

X
Old 11-02-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Xander
Maybe you only appear as your former self to people who knew you before you died, or something.
That can't be, Because Dolores only sees Millie, not George, and she would have had to know her a little better than Krystal.

I think this is just a situation where the writers make up stuff from week to week, and don't really have a whole "meta-story" written out for every little aspect...

-jason
Old 11-02-04, 03:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by fuzzbox
That can't be, Because Dolores only sees Millie, not George, and she would have had to know her a little better than Krystal.

I think this is just a situation where the writers make up stuff from week to week, and don't really have a whole "meta-story" written out for every little aspect...

-jason

Did Dolores see George in that episode? Dolores interacted with Roxy, but I don't think she saw/spoke to George. I think the only two people George interacted with pre-death in that episode was Krystal and the serial killer (it seems that Krystal did recognize her, and the serial killer seemed like he had a hint of recognition).

For Reggie, it can go both ways (seeing real George or Millie), but either way she was "recognized".

As for Kiffany, I think she's probably God