Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Free BB Reward Zone reactivation for lapsed members?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-04, 09:30 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a search for this and didn't see any discussion so I started a new topic.

When BB first began the RZ program, I was sent a card for free, unsolicited. I used it occasionally, but only accumulated around $35 in certificates over the course of the year. When it came time to renew in July I was unwilling to pay the $10 and let it lapse. Well, I assume I wasn't the only one because last week I got a letter from BB stating that because I'm supposedly one of their "best customers," they've reactivated my membership at no charge. Has anyone else received a similar letter?

I'm a little confused as to what to do now, as I threw away my card when my membership lapsed.
Old 11-01-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just give them your phone number when you check out. I always did that when I didnt have my card.
Old 11-01-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dang, i hope thats true. i got my first one for free and wasnt going to pay, its something they should give me since I spend a few thousand there a year.
Old 11-01-04, 11:01 AM

The same thing happened to me last week. I wasn't sure what to do. I went to the customer service counter and they looked at the letter for reactivation (I had also trashed my old card) and then grabbed a new reward zone card and just assigned me a new number. It wasn't a problem at all.
Old 11-01-04, 11:04 AM

Yes I got a coupon for re-up too. I was pretty sure they'd re-up me for free if I didn't pay the $10 but if they didn't I wasn't going to cry over it. I never planned to pay the $10 and I was sure I wasn't going to after they changed the program to make it even less attractive.

But the re-up was free and I got Goodfellas SE and Great Escape SE for $13 each with the RZ special this week so it was more than worth it this time around, even if I never use it again! Actually I had forgotten about it but I pulled out the BB flyer last night at about 4:30 and saw the RZ specials I had been waiting on so I had to make a special trip.
Old 11-01-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
Same here. Had it free for 2 years and didn't renew because the deals at BB weren't all that great anymore. As long as it's free, I'll take it, and occassionally use it.
Old 11-01-04, 12:08 PM

I hope that's true. Haven't recieved anything yet on it though.
Old 11-01-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Shoot!

First they decide to change the terms of the membership right after I renew. Then they start giving out renewals for free anyway!
Old 11-01-04, 06:39 PM

Damn it!

I just renewed friday!

Do you think I can call and complain?
Old 11-01-04, 07:10 PM

I'm a salesman in the tv section at Best Buy and I usually give RZ cards away for free so believe me the store (unless you get a bad employee) gives them away freely all the time. Basically a store policy has been that the more someone gripes and complains the more free stuff you get.
Old 11-01-04, 08:11 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Mine auto renewed itself, without me knowing it. I went to BB ready to up it and it was already taken care of.
Old 11-01-04, 09:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I got mine renewed for free as well last week....
Old 11-02-04, 02:08 AM

I too got that e-mail...but whenever I try to login it says my account is "under review" WTF??

I have yet to go in and buy something though, so I can;t confirm if it'st still active.
Old 11-02-04, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
Mine was renewed free also. Right before I was going to pay for it,
Old 11-02-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Guess I'm the only one who'd actually have to pay to get his membership renewed. *cries*
Old 11-02-04, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by Al Padrino
Guess I'm the only one who'd actually have to pay to get his membership renewed. *cries*
you're not the only one. i did too!!!
Old 11-02-04, 11:50 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by warrenheart
you're not the only one. i did too!!!
I did too...but I got back a $10 cert after a coupon. Practically the renewal was free
Old 11-02-04, 03:12 PM

I was at Best Buy today and the cashier told me herself that Best Buy will probably send me a coupon for free renewal anyway after I said I didn't want to renew.
Old 11-02-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Mine expired 2 days before a $5 reward voucher showed up in my mailbox
Old 11-02-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not the only one who paid, as I paid to renew two weeks ago. Oh well. It's going to be worth it, especially with deals like today's:

Using the RZ member deal, a $5 RZ cert I had, and 3 BB Bucks from McDonald's, I got the Citizen Kane SE for $4.99 + tax.
Old 11-02-04, 09:32 PM

I believe the point scale has changed. You would have to spend more to earn your $5. I got my membership for 2 years free until it expires last June. I haven't gotten anything from them and I doubt I will. With such horrible service and beatable prices, I would save that $10 for something else.

BTW, CC is offering their credit card with a '5 point per dollar' when you shop at CC. I think that's a better deal and it's FREE.
Old 11-03-04, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Dane Marvin
Not the only one who paid, as I paid to renew two weeks ago. Oh well. It's going to be worth it, especially with deals like today's:

Using the RZ member deal, a $5 RZ cert I had, and 3 BB Bucks from McDonald's, I got the Citizen Kane SE for $4.99 + tax.
Yeah, but you had to eat at McDonald's. I'd rather pay twice as much for the DVD.
Old 11-04-04, 02:08 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Months ago there was a thread about the RZ program, I went on a minor rant about how BB needed me (i.e. to know my buying habits) more than I needed them. I preceded to get my ass handed to me by a fellow "talker" but I guess I get the last laugh cause my hold out has paid off! Maximizing the overall bargain by paying nothing for the card in the first place! I win, HAHA. But there's a catch with a downside for all of us, BB has revamped the RZ program BIG time, you have to spend more to earn the same $5 certificate. Prior to the change in the program for every $120 spent your basic return would be around 4%. Now it's 3.5% for every $150 spent. Add to fact that if you actually paid $10 for a RZ card you would have to spend $300 dollars just to break even and then spend an additional $150 to truly earn your first your first $5 cert.

I said it once before the RZ card is no different than your local grocery store "club card" by using the club card the store is able to track your "very valuable" purchasing habits for very little outlay. So I say make BB earn it, they should give the cards for free to everyone just like the grocery stores do.

I'm done flame on!
Old 11-04-04, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by hal9000
I said it once before the RZ card is no different than your local grocery store "club card" by using the club card the store is able to track your "very valuable" purchasing habits for very little outlay. So I say make BB earn it, they should give the cards for free to everyone just like the grocery stores do.

I'm done flame on!
I still fail to see the inherent and insidious evil of a store knowing my buying preferences. God forbid they should stock items I'd actually like to buy. The horror!

I would never pay for the card, but using it for free on purchases I would make anyway (primarily video games using the GGC, as those are the only best buys left at Best Buy, and even those may be on the way out) makes sense to me.
Old 11-04-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah! If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to hide right?

Heck, they ought to put an RFID in the card so that when you walk in the store they will know you are there, all the smurfs can address you by name and bring you products they know you will want. And, since you are such a nice guy, you won't mind if they share your buying history with the department of homeland security, after all you have nothing to hide and besides its the law - our anti-terrorist police forces know that people buying movies in Farsi like the "Criterion Collection: Taste of Cherry" or "Secret Ballot" are probably terrorist sympathizers and should be rooted out and locked up before they hurt anyone.

You will also be glad that BBY shares your information with their business partners because if you buy that disc on the lamaze method, surely you would want to buy some diapers, and don't forget a life insurance policy for yourself and the new addition to the family!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.