Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Things you dislike in films you do like (potential spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

So, I am watching Halloween, one of my favorite films, and the thought occures to me that though I really enjoy watching this film there are a few parts within it that I really dislike:

*Loomis: What's his issue with Myers? Every chance he gets he appears to go into some long rant about how Michael is pure evil, Satan walking the Earth etc. What indication of that did he have from the time spent with Myers in the asylum? From what we here (and see in the Television version of the film) Michael did not speak a word for 15 years and basically sat gazing out a window blankly. Odd, yes. Satan walking the earth? I don't see it.

*Locks: This is more a universal horror film one for me but in the scene where Annie is in the laundry room and the door closes where is there a lock OUTSIDE the door that locks her in. I have never seen locks outside of places. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a lock? It happens again with Laurie later on where she is locked inside the house from inside the house. Also, while we are on locks, who puts a lock INSIDE a closet?

*The Sewing Needle of Doom: Laurie stabs Myers with a sewing needle in the neck and he crumples like a sack of bricks and is out for a good two minutes. Must have been a power packed stab if it can knock out a guy who later takes 6 bullets and a plunge from a second story window and gets up about 30 seconds later.

*Totally: PJ Soles character Lynda's trademark "Totally" gets annoying really fast!

That about does it for Halloween although I am always left wondering, even AFTER seeing the sequels, why Myers waited so long to break out of the asylum and why he fells the need to kill Laurie.

So, what are yours dislikes in films you do like?
Old 10-31-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll try to tackle some of the "halloween" parts you don't care for
Loomis, well, myers did indeed kill his sister when he was 5 or 6.
the stab, it was a clothes hanger. and this is supposed to be the suspence part. (you think the movie is over, he's dead, and then he gets up)
Old 10-31-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
I'll try to tackle some of the "halloween" parts you don't care for
Loomis, well, myers did indeed kill his sister when he was 5 or 6.
the stab, it was a clothes hanger. and this is supposed to be the suspence part. (you think the movie is over, he's dead, and then he gets up)
Right, I got ya, but the fact that he killed his sister at such a young age, in my opinion, does not equate for how Loomis describs Michael in his rants throughout the film.

Examples:

-"This is not a man."
-Refering to Myers as an IT
-"Death has come to your little town, Sheriff. Now you can either ignore it, or you can help me to stop it. "
-"The evil has left this place!"
-"You must be ready for him... If you don't, it's your funeral!"
-"I met this six-year-old child, with this blind, pale, emotionless face and, the blackest eyes... the DEVIL'S eyes! I spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up for I realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply... EVIL!"

Now WE know Myers is a an evil dude because of our history with the films but how in the hell did Loomis deduce it from a child gazing out a window is beyond me.

I was not talking about the clothes hanger because that stab is quickly followed by Laurie plunging Michael's knife into him. I am talking about when Michael first gets into the Doyle residence and is behind the couch. He rises up and Laurie jabs him with a sewing needle.
Old 10-31-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If there were that many things I disliked in a movie, I'd probably dislike the movie.
Old 10-31-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I love almost everything about Raiders of the Lost Ark, but do not like the melting faces at the end at all. It just seems so out of place with everything that went before (shifting from action/adventure into gory horror).
Old 11-01-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Goonies.

I really, really liked Goonies up until the end. It's the ending that's kept me from buying the DVD. The ending is just all wrong. It's such a disappointment, particularly when you consider the people involved in making it.

These ordinary, everyday kids went thru all these amazing adventures, overcame all those fantastic obstacles, only to have it all end with this rather anticlimatic and mundane ending.

Where's the imagination? The wonder?

A film with a similar theme (a group of ordinary kids in an extraordinary situation) filmed at a similar time was Explorers. Compare the stories and how they ended. A fantastic story deserves a fantastic ending. Explorers delivered one, Goonies didn't.

The Goonies should have ended up sailing out into the bay on One-Eyed Wilie's pirate ship with all the treasure.

I guess Goonies is a movie for the kind of people who consider the journey more important than the destination.

Unfortunately, for me I guess, I'm not one of those people.
Old 11-01-04, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jon2
Goonies.

I really, really liked Goonies up until the end. It's the ending that's kept me from buying the DVD. The ending is just all wrong. It's such a disappointment, particularly when you consider the people involved in making it.

These ordinary, everyday kids went thru all these amazing adventures, overcame all those fantastic obstacles, only to have it all end with this rather anticlimatic and mundane ending.

Where's the imagination? The wonder?

A film with a similar theme (a group of ordinary kids in an extraordinary situation) filmed at a similar time was Explorers. Compare the stories and how they ended. A fantastic story deserves a fantastic ending. Explorers delivered one, Goonies didn't.

The Goonies should have ended up sailing out into the bay on One-Eyed Wilie's pirate ship with all the treasure.

I guess Goonies is a movie for the kind of people who consider the journey more important than the destination.

Unfortunately, for me I guess, I'm not one of those people.
I liked the movie and the ending doesn't bother me a bit. If you think about it, the kids have to come back to the real world eventually, because they have to save their neighborhood; that was the whole basis for the treasure hunt in the first place. They can't just sail away with the money, it would have been a completely empty ending.

(Now that I'm re-reading your post, I'm not totally clear on what you were referring to: that you thought the kids should have sailed away with the treasure or that the kids should have sailed onto the beach with the treasure and saved the neighborhood that way.)
Old 11-01-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I actually liked Van Helsing and still do, I just think the third act takes itself way too seriously for its own good and really ODs on the CGI. The shot of wolfman howling at the end was a true cringeworthy moment.

I like Attack of the Clones overall, but ALL of the scenes with Padme and Anakin trying to court bring the momentum to a standstill. The IMAX cut of this movie really was worlds better.

While I guess it was appropriate, the scene at the end of LOTR:ROTK with a bunch of guys jumping around in a bed with Ian McKellan laughing giddily made me feel uneasey.
Old 11-01-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I actually liked Van Helsing and still do, I just think the third act takes itself way too seriously for its own good and really ODs on the CGI. The shot of wolfman howling at the end was a true cringeworthy moment.

I like Attack of the Clones overall, but ALL of the scenes with Padme and Anakin trying to court bring the momentum to a standstill. The IMAX cut of this movie really was worlds better.

While I guess it was appropriate, the scene at the end of LOTR:ROTK with a bunch of guys jumping around in a bed with Ian McKellan laughing giddily made me feel uneasey.
I agree with you on all points. Re: AOTC, I would also add that the way Yoda is done is annoying. Not just the bad CGI, but also his manner of speech. "Around the survivors a perimeter make!" That is just bad. And what happened to Yoda's sense of humor that made him so endearing in ESB? Seems like he is too serious in the prequels. But I digress.
Old 11-01-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Things you dislike in films you do like (potential spoilers)

Originally posted by ViewAskewbian
So, I am watching Halloween, one of my favorite films, and the thought occures to me that though I really enjoy watching this film there are a few parts within it that I really dislike:

*Loomis: What's his issue with Myers? Every chance he gets he appears to go into some long rant about how Michael is pure evil, Satan walking the Earth etc. What indication of that did he have from the time spent with Myers in the asylum? From what we here (and see in the Television version of the film) Michael did not speak a word for 15 years and basically sat gazing out a window blankly. Odd, yes. Satan walking the earth? I don't see it.

*Locks: This is more a universal horror film one for me but in the scene where Annie is in the laundry room and the door closes where is there a lock OUTSIDE the door that locks her in. I have never seen locks outside of places. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a lock? It happens again with Laurie later on where she is locked inside the house from inside the house. Also, while we are on locks, who puts a lock INSIDE a closet?

*The Sewing Needle of Doom: Laurie stabs Myers with a sewing needle in the neck and he crumples like a sack of bricks and is out for a good two minutes. Must have been a power packed stab if it can knock out a guy who later takes 6 bullets and a plunge from a second story window and gets up about 30 seconds later.

*Totally: PJ Soles character Lynda's trademark "Totally" gets annoying really fast!

That about does it for Halloween although I am always left wondering, even AFTER seeing the sequels, why Myers waited so long to break out of the asylum and why he fells the need to kill Laurie.

So, what are yours dislikes in films you do like?
Totally - I go nuts sometimes when I hear it.

As for the locks - good point, never really gave it too much thought but I do remember reading somwhere that the laundry room was built at the last second before shooting and with the films budget (we all know how low this sucker was) It may be a good excuse

Things I can't stand in films I love:

Dawn of the Dead '04 - some of CJ's lines "what is this a F***** nursey school" or "Trust, the primary ingredient in any relationship" doesn't really detract from the movie too much but it's a little annoying for me to take sometimes.

Cape Fear (remake) Juliette Lewis becomes unbearable at times, especially the scene where she tries to learn some quick Spanish (I think it's Spanish) with the maid.

An American Werewolf in London David Naughton plays too much of a chump - his whinning makes me want to knock him out sometimes but then I remember I'm watching an American Werewolf in London and all is forgotten
Old 11-01-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
The thing that immediately springs to my mind is
Spoiler:
the talking dog scene
in Summer of Sam. It looks terrible, it's begging for a cheap a laugh, and doesn't belong in that part of the movie.

Regarding Loomis' ranting about Myers, I had always seen Loomis as just being a nutjob who happens to be right in this case. I can see him saying similar things about everyone in that sanitarum and getting on everyone's nerves.
Old 11-01-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
The overall plot and dialogue in the two "Bad Boys" movies makes me cringe. Even some of the comedy is just flat, and left me straight faced.

They would have been straight-to-video quality if it weren't for Michael Bay. But they're so much fun.

And I really appreciate II for being the first adult-oriented action film that I'd seen in quite some time. What was the last one? Con Air and Face/Off? That's way too long to go without a good R-rated action movie. I don't have any beef with PG-13. But they usually just turn out flaky and bland.

Blade was so cool. But the Decon-demise scene has some of the WORST CG I've ever seen.
Old 11-01-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
This has been a point of great contention with me since I saw the film opening night . . . any slow motion scene with Hobits needs to be edited out of the film. Especially the jumping on the bed scene . . . we already have enough hints to tell us that they are a bunch of weed-smoking fairies, but that was just too over the top. (And what is up with the rotten wig-wearing stand-ins? This movie has some of the best special effects I've ever scene, and easily some of the worst!)

Return of the King really falls apart toward the end . . . and it is these silly little things that we speak of that bring it way down.
Old 11-01-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Originally posted by taa455
I agree with you on all points. Re: AOTC, I would also add that the way Yoda is done is annoying. Not just the bad CGI, but also his manner of speech. "Around the survivors a perimeter make!" That is just bad. And what happened to Yoda's sense of humor that made him so endearing in ESB? Seems like he is too serious in the prequels. But I digress.
Think about it, ESB Yoda has already lost everything and been living alone for who knows how long . . . he has flipped out at that point! Kind of like the old Saturday Night Live skits about Johnny Carson retiring . . . he was funnier when it didn't matter anymore.
Old 11-01-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In DOGMA, the crap monster. (Golgathan Sh*t Demon or whatever.)

Loved the movie (my first Kevin Smith flick on a NETFLIX recommendation) and still do, but I have skipped thru that scene almost every time.

1st thing that came to mind when I saw the thread.
Old 11-01-04, 06:14 PM

In Magnolia, it's always bugged me how sometimes the score doesn't fade all the way out when a song on the soundtrack starts playing. For instance when the song "Momentum" starts, if you listen closely you can barely hear the score still going in the background and they clash pretty badly.

The Fifth Element: I love this movie and pretty much every part in it, but at the end when
Spoiler:
they're about to open the stones and Leeloo says "wind blows, fire burns," etc.
it bugs the hell out of me because it seems so obvious what they're supposed to do, but they can't figure it out.
Old 11-01-04, 06:35 PM

i hate the ending of 28 Days Later. It seemed really out of place compared to the rest of the movie.

I didn't like the Michael Moore stuff in Team America. I wanted them to really blast him good, but it was pretty dumb and childish. His puppet was awesome, though.

I didn't like the overly happy ending in Saved!

I don't like Mike Myers' voice as Shrek.

i hate Carrie Ann Moss in Memento. she really is a godawful actress. I hate her in everything she's in, but i think this is the only movie i like with her in it.
Old 11-01-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by MahatmaPetey
i hate the ending of 28 Days Later. It seemed really out of place compared to the rest of the movie.
This is up there with From Dusk Til Dawn for me. In that one they have this great story going, I mean really interesting, then they show up at a vampire bar. Killed it.

28 Days later is the same way, they had this great plot going, something different, then they show up at the mansion and all the army guys just want to rape the girl. Then they have a shootoff with the Zombies coming at the house. It became more like a video game at that point, and totally ruined everything it had going for it.
Old 11-01-04, 06:54 PM

Since you brought up "Halloween," the only thing that bothers me is that the leaves on the trees are still green, but I know the backstory that Carpenter had to film it in the spring.
Old 11-02-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by FinkPish
the kids should have sailed onto the beach with the treasure and saved the neighborhood that way.
You got it.
Old 11-02-04, 03:37 AM

Re: Things you dislike in films you do like (potential spoilers)

Originally posted by ViewAskewbian
He does go a little overboard in his ranting, but it never bothered me. It's largely to build extra drama in the movie, and I think it works pretty well. His frazzled, rambling intensity and background knowledge on Myers are a good balance to the cops in the film, who are fairly personality-deficient and seem pretty clueless about Myers, like Annie's father.

As far as his seemingly ridiculous obsession with Myers, here's the way I see it: Loomis knew something had to be severely wrong psychologically with Myers as a child for him to violently murder his sister. Just because he's sat silently in an asylum for years, that doesn't make him any less dangerous. He's never been able to get through to Michael and help him deal with the issues/impulses/whatever that made him kill at such a young age, or even understand why he did it, so he knows nothing has really been resolved. I think Loomis felt he saw some type of hidden evil in Myers all along, and his concerns about what he's capable of just intensify as Michael gets older. I buy this....he has supposedly been observing and studying him for years, right?, so he knows more about Michael than we do. I love the scene in the tv version when he sees the teenage Michael staring out the window at the asylum and he says "you've fooled them, haven't you Michael? But not me." I still can't believe this scene is only in the tv version. It's so eerily quiet, yet very powerful to me. Anyway, maybe the reason Loomis makes it his personal mission (with the way he acts, that's the only way to really describe it...lol) to hunt down Myers after he escapes is because he feels he was somehow a failure for not doing enough to get others to see the "evil" in Michael that he saw.

Back on the thread topic, I pretty much like everything about "Halloween 2" except for the hideously bad wig on Jamie Lee Curtis. It was worse than Drew Barrymore's in "Scream". It's so obviously fake that it distracted me throughout the movie even when I tried to ignore it (yes, I'm female...guys probably didn't even notice). I know she apparently got some cute little shaggy haircut in between making 1 and 2 (see any of her slashers made during that interval) but that wig barely resembles her flat straight hair in the first film, so in a way I wish she would have just kept her regular hair. And why did the Carpenter score get all synthed up for 2? It wasn't bad, but it definitely gave the sequel a different feel to me. If they were really trying to keep continuity between the 2 films, altering the score really didn't help things.

And finally, one more scary movie since I've been watching a lot lately, I really love "Suspiria", but I hate dubbed lines and it seems like the whole freakin' movie is dubbed! I just don't get it....was the sound quality so crappy when it was filmed that everything had to be redone? I know it was made in Italy, and a lot of the actors probably spoke bad broken English, but Jessica Harper's lines even sounded looped at times and she's American. It's just really irritating because it felt like the entire movie was post-dubbed. The actors' mouths often don't match up with their dialogue, and it often hurts their performances IMO. A few noticably dubbed lines here and there is normal for any film, but it was so rampant in "Suspiria" it was distracting and made it harder for me to really get into the movie.
Old 11-02-04, 06:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Abob Teff
This has been a point of great contention with me since I saw the film opening night . . . any slow motion scene with Hobits needs to be edited out of the film. Especially the jumping on the bed scene . . . we already have enough hints to tell us that they are a bunch of weed-smoking fairies, but that was just too over the top.
Or maybe it's just that you could be a classic closet-case? You know.... denial as defense mechanism and such.

I take it you've never read the book....Frodo and Sam in the chapter 'Mount Doom' would really make you squirm.
Old 11-02-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I absolutley hate the Chris Rock & Robin Williams cameos in A.I.

Blemishes on an otherwise great flick from Spielberg.
Old 11-02-04, 11:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I was watching this last week and I had the same feeling. The silly inane dialogue, notably the infamous "sand gets everywhere" line is soooo eye-ball rollingly bad. Anakin's whining also gets really grating afterwhile.

~

In "Fellowship of the Ring" when Elrond states "and you will be known as the Fellowship of the Ring" (or something to that effect) and the music swells - talk about tacky and smaltzy.
Old 11-02-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm thought the movie "Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood" was hysterical, but I can't stand the church scene with the 2 old women having a dance-off. It kills the momentum of the flick.

(Yes, I'm being serious!!!)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.