Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Free Freaks and Geeks DVD sampler---but only if you vote on Tuesday!

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-04, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty good deal if you've always been curious about this show, but didn't want to risk blind-buying.

from TVShowsOnDVD:

The Shout! Factory, makers of Freaks and Geeks on DVD, has decided to offer a Freak-y reward for voters in the upcoming Tuesday USA elections. Here's what their announcement says:
----------------------
Get Out and Vote!

We're all about rewarding good behavior here at Shout! Get yourselves over to the voting booths on November 2, get proof of fulfilling your civic duty and we'll send you a CD or DVD. Just send us a voter's stub, an "I Voted" sticker or some other proof of voting and we'll send one of the following: a fabulous Shout! Factory CD packed with a bunch of the music we released this year OR a Freaks And Geeks DVD sampler, which features three episodes from the award-winning series. (While supplies last. Shout! Factory is not responsible for submissions or prizes lost in the mail. We are the sole judge of what constitutes convincing proof, so no handwritten notes from your, uh, "congressman," please.) Mail us your voter's proof and DVD or CD preference, along with your return address, to:

I Voted, Brian
c/o Shout! Factory
2042-A Armacost Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90025

----------------------

My copy's already on-the-way. How? I voted already! Yep, this past Saturday, because my state offers no-questions-asked early voting during a two-week period in October. According to the news, more people early-voted this year across the nation than ever before. Good job, all! For those of you waiting until Election Day, though, make sure you get to the polls on Tuesday (while you're out buying the latest TV-on-DVD releases).

I'm not sure what the episode are going to be on the Freaks and Geeks DVD, but Shout! Factory was kind enough to send over the artwork for the cover:
Old 10-30-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn. Since I'm not voting, looks like I'm boned.

Oh well, I already have the Yearbook Edition of the DVD...
Old 10-30-04, 03:27 PM

Regardless of the briber's intentions, paying for turnout is illegal in federal elections. As long as there is a federal candidate on the ballot, no one may offer something of value—whether it's a $100 bill or a package of Top Ramen—to get someone to the polls. The ban was part of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which included a section specifically forbidding anyone from offering or accepting payment "either for registration to vote or for voting." This has been interpreted to cover all bribes geared toward coaxing voters to their respective polling stations.

http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/usc...3---i000-.html
Old 10-30-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The slackers of America shall not be denied their noodles, they will proudly wear their clean underwear as free Americans, and they will vote Bush out of office come November 2nd!
Old 10-30-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Knives
The slackers of America shall not be denied their noodles, they will proudly wear their clean underwear as free Americans, and they will vote Bush out of office come November 2nd!
Old 10-30-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Welcome to the DVD forum, if you want to spout about the "Insta-utopia" promised by the other candidate, do it in the political forum.

It may be wrong, but I held out on this set and I would love a sampler. Hopefully they don't get shut down. Maybe they should have announced it AFTER the polls were closed. I mean do they really care if you vote? No, they want you to have that sampler so that you will buy the whole product.
Old 10-30-04, 05:37 PM

Since I already own the F&G yearbook I wonder whats on the CD sampler.
Old 10-30-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since this will be an election with the greatest turnoout in recent history, a bonus dvd is great!
Old 10-30-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
thanks!
Old 10-30-04, 11:39 PM

if i voted absentee, doesn anyone know of a way i can prove that...i would like the sampler disc
Old 10-31-04, 12:12 AM

That's the same boat im in Wennma, i'm in the military, and we don't exactly get a receipt that says we voted. I have been on the edge about getting this dvd set also as I hear a lot of great things about it, but I don't want to flop down $50 or whatever it costs, and end up not liking it.
Old 10-31-04, 01:16 AM

Quote by Michael Moore Director of F911, LOL!

http://www.michaelmoore.com/
Old 10-31-04, 02:43 AM
Banned

If it's too much work for me to go out and vote, what makes them think I'm gonna be able to mail out all of that crap?
Old 10-31-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gfoots
Regardless of the briber's intentions, paying for turnout is illegal in federal elections. As long as there is a federal candidate on the ballot, no one may offer something of value—whether it's a $100 bill or a package of Top Ramen—to get someone to the polls. The ban was part of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which included a section specifically forbidding anyone from offering or accepting payment "either for registration to vote or for voting." This has been interpreted to cover all bribes geared toward coaxing voters to their respective polling stations.

http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/usc...3---i000-.html
Well, must be a revolt cuz you can get everything from a burrito to cookies to $100,000 in Arizona just for voting. If you don't believe me, just watch MSNBC cuz they have been broadcasting this all day.

BTW, I have read your link and see nothing concerning "bribes".

Last edited by kayak99; 10-31-04 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-31-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Amen brother
Old 10-31-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet! Free DVD, and P Diddy will let me live!
Old 10-31-04, 09:16 PM

Thanks, pal.
Old 10-31-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I have every "I voted" sticker I received for the last dozen or so elections/primaries.
Old 11-01-04, 09:16 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by kayak99
Well, must be a revolt cuz you can get everything from a burrito to cookies to $100,000 in Arizona just for voting. If you don't believe me, just watch MSNBC cuz they have been broadcasting this all day.

BTW, I have read your link and see nothing concerning "bribes".
As far as the burrito goes, if you're refering to Chipotle, their deal, although touted as election promotion, is not directly tied to the election. You had to buy a burrito on Halloween, then bring that receipt back on Tuesday for a free burrito. I'm participating. Carnitas, baby.
Old 11-01-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BeckysBoy
As far as the burrito goes, if you're refering to Chipotle, their deal, although touted as election promotion, is not directly tied to the election. You had to buy a burrito on Halloween, then bring that receipt back on Tuesday for a free burrito. I'm participating. Carnitas, baby.
Yep, that's the burritto I was referring to.

The others are tied to the voting. Arizona allows you to enter some sort of lottery if you participated in the voting process. Apparently this is nothing new.
Old 11-01-04, 01:29 PM

Damn I need that I voted sticker for my Media Law class. How can I get 2? Hmmm...
Old 11-02-04, 10:52 AM

Well, I sent mine off. We'll see what happens.
Old 11-02-04, 12:56 PM

many places around my area have freebie's for those that have voted: several art galleries offer free admission and some local restaurant chains offer a "free doughnut" or dessert if you show that "I voted" sticker. Tis a nice reward and I'm curios to see what the dvd will be.
Old 11-02-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Damnit! I didn't get a sticker. I voted on my way to work. It was early and I didn't even think about it.
Old 11-02-04, 02:48 PM

Thanks, areacode212! Wasn't sre how I was gonna get a sticker with the absentee ballots, but I was able to drop them off at a manned collection center and they gave me a sticker! Just hope they didn't run out yet of the DVD sampler. Thanks again

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.