Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Not another remake: "the Blob" plus a few others

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-04, 06:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Paramount Pictures, fast becoming the home of the remake with such recent pictures as "The Italian Job," "The Manchurian Candidate" and "The Stepford Wives," is resurrecting "The Blob."

Starring Steve McQueen, the 1958 campy cult classic followed a mysterious creature from another planet that resembled a giant blob of jelly and went on a path of destruction as it grew bigger. The movie was remade in 1988 with Chuck Russell at the helm.

The update will be produced for the studio by Jack Harris, who produced the original, and Scott Rudin.

Other remakes in the works at Paramount include "The Last Holiday" starring Queen Latifah, "A New Leaf" with director Barry Sonnenfeld and "The Naked Jungle" with director Jonathan Hensleigh.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Old 10-30-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably one Blob too many, but you never know, it might be fun. I like both the original and the Philip Kaufman remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and didn't really see the need for Abel Ferrara to do it again (Body Snatchers) but it turned out to be an interesting take on the basic story.
Old 10-30-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What new spin could they possibly put on a story like The Blob? The 1988 remake already added the twist that it was manmade.
Old 10-30-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I'm all for a Blob remake personally, as long as the likes of Jerry Bruckheimer, Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich are not involved. I live in the South and we have our own form of the Blob here called Kudzu (it grows over everything and only cold stops it), so I've always strangely been attracted to these movies.

(And, unlike the Hollywood Reporter writer, I don't think the original is campy at all. It's '50s Monster to the nth degree, but I think it manages to avoid slipping into camp.)
Old 10-30-04, 02:56 PM

I agree, the original isn't campy. It's just really boring. The remake is much better.
Old 10-30-04, 03:28 PM

I love both Blob movies (original and remake), although I admit I've never seen the Son of Blob sequel.

I always thought that a modern blob movie with good CG effects could be very cool, here's hoping it's good.
Old 10-30-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dhmac

(And, unlike the Hollywood Reporter writer, I don't think the original is campy at all. It's '50s Monster to the nth degree, but I think it manages to avoid slipping into camp.)

Huh? That bouncy little over-the-credits title song isn't exactly an invitation to take the movie seriously.
Old 10-30-04, 04:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What? No remake of The Stuff?
Old 10-30-04, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by dhmac
I'm all for a Blob remake personally, as long as the likes of Jerry Bruckheimer, Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich are not involved. I live in the South and we have our own form of the Blob here called Kudzu (it grows over everything and only cold stops it), so I've always strangely been attracted to these movies.

That kudzu is something else, isn't it? Importing a non-indigenous species to solve one problem always seems to create a larger one. To be fair, though, it was done many years back (the 30s?) without the benefit of hindsight we now have on such issues. Anyway, kudzu has just about taken over the state of Tennessee.
Old 10-30-04, 08:07 PM

What? No remake of The Stuff?
Even tho I don't like remakes I would like to see that one......
Old 10-30-04, 08:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exactly!
Old 10-31-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Another "blob" movie they should remake is X- The Unknown.

Seeing this as a kid I could never forget this scene.

Spoiler:
The melting face in the hospital gave me nightmare.