Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever get into a band after you saw them in concert?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-29-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

For me it just happened recently. Went to a local show with about 8 bands and was really impressed with Shinedown. Now I can't stop listening to their cd and am upset that I didn't get into them before the show. Oh well, better late than never I guess. A
Old 10-29-04, 01:51 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, Tool.
Old 10-29-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just really got into Ghostly International (a record label) after seeing their showcase at CMJ. And I got into Blood on the Wall after seeing them open for Oneida.
Old 10-29-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the time.
Old 10-29-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mekons. That's my first thought.
Old 10-29-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a friend, who it would seem, ONLY gets into bands after we see them live... he'll be lukewarm and go to the show because I've bought tix or whatever and then they'll become his new favourite band...

MATT

I've discovered a few bands through concerts...that's always cool.
Old 10-29-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PJ Harvey- she opened for U2 on the first leg of their 2001 tour, saw her in Denver, and I've dug her stuff since.

Conversely, I saw Garbage when they opened for U2 in KC later that year and wasn't impressed. I considered myself a fan up to that point, but since then I can't bring myself to listen to them.
Old 10-29-04, 02:54 PM

Oasis, hated them before it, and my dad would always play the records. Finally at a festival they played with Muse & Nine Inch Nails, I wanted to see those 2 bands, and my dad wanted to see Oasis. When Oasis started I found myself strangly singing along with every song. Then I became a fan.
Strange but true.

The Ordinary Boys, saw them once live, didn't impress me, then I saw them again and they were really good.

The Libertines, I only liked one song of their's, namely Up The Bracket, the single had just been released, I didn't care much yet for the rest of the album. Then after seeing them live I gave the album another spin and realised how much I liked it.

There are tons more.

It mostly happens at the festivals where I see new bands frequently. Support acts mostly kill my chance to appreciate as I'm already anticipating what I actually came to see, except when I actually came for the support act (or both).
Old 10-29-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts
Taking Back Sunday. They opened for the Used almost 2 years ago, I think. I bought their CD at the show, and I'm glad I did.
Old 10-29-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Luce (opening for Sixpence NTR)

The Methadones (Opening for The Queers)

Kyuss (Opening for Danzig)

Or how about this twist:

I went to see Corrosion of Conformity-who just happened to be opening for Rollins Band-who I had never heard up until that point, while I'm not a huge fan, I've liked what I've heard thus far.
Old 10-29-04, 04:27 PM

The Beta Band. They opened for Radiohead back in '01.

Goldfinger. Went to their show, even though I had none of their albums and heard probably one or two of their songs. Walked out of that concert as a huge fan. Picked up their cd's not long after. Though not as good now ever since Charlie left.
Old 10-29-04, 05:27 PM

failure.
Old 10-29-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes
Old 10-29-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A couple times. I got into Woven after seeing them open for Dredg.
Old 10-29-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Dream Theater. I had picked up the first four or so albums finishing up a record club commitment, but never paid much attention to them. Saw them last march on the Train of Thought tour and was blown away. Proceeded to pick up everything else and have been enjoying the hell out of them.
Old 10-30-04, 01:55 AM
Banned

The White Stripes. Saw them summer '99 at the 9:30 Club in D.C. when they were touring with Sleater-Kinney and supporting their first record.
Old 10-30-04, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

definately...these are some of my all time favorites i've discovered live

Goldfinger-knew about them, but didn't realize they had more than 2 albums and how good they were

Riddlin Kids- never even heard of them, but they were awesome..picked up their demo at the show and about a year later their CD when it came out

Sugarcult-saw them on a tiny stage at Warped Tour 3 years ago and they were absolutely awesome
Old 10-30-04, 03:10 AM

Weezer, back in '01. Friend was a fan, and I went with her to a concert. Problem was no tickets, so we had to bribe the bouncer. Made it lots more fun.
Old 10-30-04, 08:26 AM

This happens to me quite often. One of the ones I can remember the most is the Handsome Family when they opened for Wilco back in '01. Now they are one of my favorite bands.
Old 10-30-04, 09:59 AM

Only one I can recall recently is Iron & Wine, who weirdly opened for Broadcast. But I dug his stuff, and have been listening ever since.
Old 10-30-04, 10:22 AM

I do not like Dave Matthews Band at all, but they are excellent in concert. I had two albums of theirs and no matter how hard I tried to get into them I just couldn't get past the fact that I found them boring. Then I caught them live at a HORDE show many moons ago when I where I went just to see Wilco, and they blew me away. So I went back to the albums.... and still found them boring. Since then I've seen them live twice more, and both times they were great. And everytime afterwards I try their albums, and am left totally underwhelmed. Go figure.

I didn't like Drive-By Truckers that much until I saw them with Slobberbone, and I've been hooked since then. Also, I never got into Soul Asylum at all when they were popular, but in the last few years I've seen then at a few live shows and have since gone back and got into their back catalogue.

On the other hand I saw a real lackluster Sleater Kinney show at First Ave a few years ago and it kind of ruined them for me. Same for a Jay Farrar show at the same venue.
Old 10-30-04, 04:20 PM

All the time...

Blue October - They play this area live all the time and the first time I saw them, I was hooked. It makes the cd's sound even better than they are (and they're great, don't get me wrong) because you can always picture the live shows.

Apex Theory - Opened for Stabbing Westward and rocked so hard that it made Stabbing Westward feel like a comedown.

Spineshank - Again, the opening act for Disturbed and Spineshank converted a WHOLE lot of people that night.

Seven Channels - First time I saw "Breathe" performed live, I was hooked.

Those are just a few examples. It seriously happens all the time, especially living down here next to Austin where you can step out your door and see live music.
Old 10-30-04, 04:51 PM

Guster
Old 10-30-04, 10:40 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Richard Thompson. I was a fan of his before seeing him live, but now I'm pretty close to obsessive about it. He's maybe the best live act I've ever seen.
Old 10-31-04, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Soundgarden.

Back in early 90's about a year or so before they got big they performed for free at Santa Monica College. I remember thinking, "Damn this band is awesome! They play music just like I like it. Heavy and kinda dark." Next thing I knew Soundgarden was all over MTV and the radio. I suddenly remembered that I saw them around a year ago.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-31-04 at 02:49 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.