Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Troubling new TiVo news

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-04, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Troubling new TiVo news

Buy a TiVo lately? Sometime in the next few months, your machine will quietly download a patch that makes it respond to a new copy protection scheme from software maker Macrovision. The app puts restrictions on how long your DVR can save certain kinds of shows - so far, just pay-per-view and video-on-demand programs. It's the first time your TiVo won't let you watch whatever you want, whenever you want. We asked TiVo general counsel Matthew Zinn why he thinks Hollywood will settle for an inch when it can take a mile.

WIRED: TiVo has always been about empowering the viewer. Why change now?
ZINN: Macrovision changed its policy. So the question was, Do we want to have a Macrovision license with certain restrictions, or none at all? We decided that as long as the restrictions were limited to pay-per-view and video-on-demand, consumers would still have the choice. If they don't like a narrower window in which to view programming, they won't purchase it. That'll send a message to the content owners.

You're not legally required to have copy protection. Why not tell Macrovision to stuff it?
That was an option. But if there was no Macrovision license, we would run into a lot of copyright problems with things like remote access and "TiVo to Go" functionality. To innovate and give people more flexibility with broadcast content, we decided it was acceptable to allow content owners to apply protections to higher-value content.

What if the higher-value content is just the beginning? This could be a Trojan horse.
That would be a violent blow to consumer flexibility. You could end up in a situation where different products by different manufacturers would have different rules. I don't think we would go along with it.

With the cable companies in bed with the studios, TiVo could be the last line of defense for the DVR as we know it.
Sometimes I feel that way. We're aware of the danger, and the slippery slope. The danger is that DRM can tilt the balance of copyright so that ultimately there's no concept of fair use, because the content owners dictate what the rules are. But I think content owners are beginning to recognize that if you make things too restrictive, then consumers will find nonlegal ways to achieve what they want.
Link

Not good, not good at all.
Old 10-29-04, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

it was bound to happen sometime...........oh well... i buy dvd's anyway
Old 10-29-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
I'm not going to get worked up until it affects something other than pay-per-view stuff.
Old 10-29-04, 09:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What's the time limit on pay-per-view stuff?
Old 10-29-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never done PPV, and never plan to. In my opinion, it is a waste of money. This does not affect or trouble me at all.
Old 10-29-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't bought a PPV since I started with Netflix. Plus, I have the DirecTiVo, so I doubt that it'll affect me anyway, since DirecTV won't do TiVo-to-Go or remote access.

Still, sad news in the TiVo world. I kinda figured it would happen eventually.
Old 10-29-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by Draven
I'm not going to get worked up until it affects something other than pay-per-view stuff.
Ditto, though it'd better not ever go beyond that...
Old 10-29-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Morf
I've never done PPV, and never plan to. In my opinion, it is a waste of money. This does not affect or trouble me at all.
Yeah not sure who would get PPV and then record it instead of watching it? My Tivo has so much stuff on it to watch as it is without clogging it up for more than a week with something like a PPV movie. Most of the stuff on PPV is stuff I've either already seen/rented or have no desire to watch. Are the presentations (e.g. LBX, DD) even comparable to a DVD I'd get from Netflix?
Old 10-29-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think only pay-per-view will be affected for one reason. If you record a pay-per-view movie and don't delete it, you can watch it 50 times if you want without having to pay again (not that this is a bad thing) but the pay-per-view wants you to pay again if you want to watch it again.
Old 10-29-04, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by aintnosin
but the pay-per-view wants you to pay again if you want to watch it again.
No shit. In the case of movies, if you want to watch it 50 times, buy the damn DVD. Better quality, extra features, and portable.
Old 10-29-04, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by uteotw
Ditto, though it'd better not ever go beyond that...
Give an inch, take a mile.
Old 10-29-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Pistol Pete
Give an inch, take a mile.
Recording standard off-the-air programs isn't hurting anyone's revenue stream (or at least isn't perceived that way). If I keep my favorite episode of CSI on my Tivo for six months and watch it 50 times, no one is losing any money.

Personally I think they're not only barking up the wrong tree, they're in the wrong forest. Tivo is not hurting pay-per-view movies. Cheap DVD players and services like Netflix are probably doing more to cut into their revenue than anything else.
Old 10-29-04, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by aintnosin
I think only pay-per-view will be affected for one reason. If you record a pay-per-view movie and don't delete it, you can watch it 50 times if you want without having to pay again (not that this is a bad thing) but the pay-per-view wants you to pay again if you want to watch it again.
But you can do this with a (gasp) VCR so what's the point?
Old 10-29-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by iggystar
But you can do this with a (gasp) VCR so what's the point?
I didn't say it was rational, just that was most likely their reasoning.
Old 10-29-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
As much as I disagree with their decision, it doesn't affect me in the least bit.
Old 10-29-04, 03:14 PM
Banned

That sucks.

Especially If you buy a wrestling or boxing ppv.
Old 10-29-04, 04:06 PM
Banned

I only see pirates being affected by this.
Old 10-29-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by CarlitoBrown
How do you figure? Anyone can want to keep a show on their Tivo as long as possible.

If you're refering to extraction, that isn't really affected by this (at least not yet). Also, most people who extract from their hard drive do so in order to burn to a DVD (instead of having to use a VCR), and not for illegitimate reasons.
Old 10-29-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I disagree.

I have a Dish Network PVR with a 120 GB hard drive. I have several movies that I have recorded when they were on over the last few months, but have not had the time to watch. I figure I'll catch up when everything is in reruns over the holiday season.

If these were pay-per-view movies, they might be deleted before I finally had time to watch them.

Isn't the whole idea of a PVR so that you can watch stuff when it's convenient for you?
Old 10-29-04, 08:56 PM

I can see it driving more people towards Torrents and stuff if their TiVo or DVR happens to delete a program that they have missed.

By the way, if you really want to know why they would do this, two words that should be on mind: ON. DEMAND. Charging people for something they can already do is the dream.
Old 10-29-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's no reason why anyone should be paying money just to record the shows you want. Just use a computer, I do and don't have to pay Tivo any money for my recordings.
Old 10-29-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm much more worried about the rumors that at some point they may be disabling the ability to fast forward through commercials on recorded programs.

Now THAT would really make me angry.
Old 10-29-04, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Tazwolff
There's no reason why anyone should be paying money just to record the shows you want. Just use a computer, I do and don't have to pay Tivo any money for my recordings.
That's all well and good, but if you want to actually watch the shows on your TV you need to then invest in a TV out card and a long enough cable or a laptop.

Not to mention the fact that finding shows online isn't always perfect. If the show is too old or obscure, you're most likely out of luck, and most of the ways of acquiring any show online can often times take forever.

I pay $5 a month to Tivo and I can just set my box to record whatever I want it to and watch it when I feel like it. I don't have to hunt around online and then wait days for a single episode to finish downloading, then run a cable to my TV from the computer.

I'm much more worried about the rumors that at some point they may be disabling the ability to fast forward through commercials on recorded programs.
Yeah, that would seriously bother pretty much every Tivo owner, I imagine. I'd like to think that it's unlikely, though, as if Tivo started limiting their functionality, it would open the market up to a non-crippled competitor.
Old 10-30-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by xVladx
That's all well and good, but if you want to actually watch the shows on your TV you need to then invest in a TV out card and a long enough cable or a laptop.

Not to mention the fact that finding shows online isn't always perfect. If the show is too old or obscure, you're most likely out of luck, and most of the ways of acquiring any show online can often times take forever.

I pay $5 a month to Tivo and I can just set my box to record whatever I want it to and watch it when I feel like it. I don't have to hunt around online and then wait days for a single episode to finish downloading, then run a cable to my TV from the computer.

Yeah, that would seriously bother pretty much every Tivo owner, I imagine. I'd like to think that it's unlikely, though, as if Tivo started limiting their functionality, it would open the market up to a non-crippled competitor.
Huh? I’m not talking about downloading anything. I use one of my computers to record my shows for me, then play them on my TV. For me it is cheaper than buying a Tivo box and subscribing to the Tivo service, well in fact it’s free. This system along with 2 others are the heart of my entertainment unit. Movies, TV, Stereo, and house-wide wireless server.
Old 10-30-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
I have a Dish Network PVR with a 120 GB hard drive. I have several movies that I have recorded when they were on over the last few months, but have not had the time to watch. I figure I'll catch up when everything is in reruns over the holiday season.
I'm the same way. I have a movie on my PVR that's been there since the 2nd day I had the unit. I'll watch it eventually, but until I do, it's there waiting for me.

If the movie had an expiration date, I'd be just as likely (if not moreso) to just not have recorded it in the first place (and, if it had been something off PPV rather than something off HBO, not paid to watch it in the first place. I'm not entirely sure how not getting a PPV fee at all really makes things better for the companies).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.