Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Dell LCD-TV?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-04, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dell LCD-TV?

I found I can get a solid deal (about $730) on the following 23" widescreen LCD-TV from Dell through my small business.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs

I would use it just as a TV in our bedroom with conventional (non-digital) cable and a prog-scan DVD player. Does anyone have experience with Dell LCD TVs? How would they compare with Sharp Aquos, Magnavox, Panasonic, Sony, etc.? Thanks in advance
Old 10-26-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I'm using it as we speaking. I have not had any problems (well maybe one with xbox, but I'm still looking into that).

What it really boils down to is how much money you have and what you are looking for out of it. I would say that the Sharps and Sony are primarily intended for viewing, whereas (at least in my opinion) the Dell is primarily a monitor.

Movies on the computer look good. I think the blacks could be blacker, but you'll find that on most sets I think. Cable is a bit grainy, but I think that is because of the cable, not the lcd.

Having said that it is my first LCD so I don't have much to compare it against, but I am happy with it. I do wish the screen res was higher than 1280x768 though. We just moved into this apartment and the HD looks great on the screen out there. If I can get some time and you want I can hook it up to the HD to see what that looks like, although from what you said I don't think that's what you're going for.

I probably paid double what you will be getting it for and given my satisfaction I would say it sounds like you're getting a real steal.

Hope that helped.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 10-26-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How are you getting a $730 price on that? Coupons?
Old 10-26-04, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the response. The contrast ratio may be a concern (you say the blackness or lack thereof is a problem). It is 400:1 for this one, but is 500:1 for some of the other brands. I will have to think about it; maybe I can compare a 400:1 to a 500:1 in a store.

They called us today pushing the 23"er (only that size). It was just the price they quoted. As a small business, we get a discount on top of their advertised price. If you have an account with them and are interested, I would suggest calling your sales rep. We had a 27" that our sales people use for software demos, so they may have targeted us from that.
Old 10-26-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Don't get me wrong. The black levels don't suck. Sometimes I tend to watch darker material and think "Oh, the blacks could be better.", but it's only a passing though.

Given the price I really don't think you can go wrong.

Two other things you may want to consider. First, you should have 30 days to return her if you are not satisfied. Second, I *hate* the new design and am happy that I have the first generation in that regard.