Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Invisible Man Legacy Collection Problem

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-24-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

So, after returning it to the store due to a scratched disc (like my Mummy Collection) I play the first disc and it is fine. I watch The Invisible Man Returns and it is fine. I am right at the end of The Invisible Woman and just as she is going after her capters the disc freezes up and my screen goes to black. Argh! I don't want to go through the same crap I went through with my Abbott and Costello sets!

Anybody else having this problem?

EDITED TO ADD: Was just over at Amazon reading reviews of the set and found one guy had a similar problem to mine (although he didn't post what Invisable film he had an issue with).

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 10-24-04 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-24-04, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My copy of Invisible Man Returns has skipping,pixiation and freezes on chapter 17. Time for a return or will Universal do a replacement as more problems become evident ? Player is a Panny RP-62.
Old 10-24-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything in digipacks, or anything that's especially a double sided disc... is nothing but trouble. I've REALLY elaborated on that in the mummy thread though if you care to take a look at that. Maybe these threads could be merged in fact since we all know the monster legacy collectoins themselves all in all have the same problems. Universal needs to get their act together and stop offering replacement discs, because that process is a hassle. And unless it's something that's as bad as the mis-framing on Back To The Future, they won't offer to pay your postage for sending it out to them. They NEED to FIX these issues!
Old 10-28-04, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched invisible woman & it ran flawlessly. I then switched to Inv. Man returns. I watched the 1st few chapters & then recalled the remarks about chap. 17. So I jump to c17 and watched it to the end. There is in fact a layer change just as the old guy is walking about the office; he pauses in mid stride, the layer switches and he resumes walking.
So if u see this, don’t panic. Also interesting is that this disc is clearly dual layered. Returns is 1 hr 22 min inv woman is 1hr 13 min that’s 2 hr 35 min and too long for a single layer disc. (plus my layer change display shows it changed)
Some people have said “ why did they make these DVD’s Double sided? . The only option would be to compress them or add another disc. I would personally liked to see another disc, or have universal fire all its assembly crew and hire some people who care about their jobs. I can’t believe one of my Monster discs had fingerprints all over it!
Sidebar: played all but one mummy movie and they all played perfect. If you see a defect I suggest you go to a different bestbuy or different walmart or what ever. Hopefully the batch was small enough to span only one or 2 boxes. Which would likely end up in the same store. Before you think I’m boasting of my good fortune, I should share with you I had to exchange mummy twice.. The 1st disc was literally CRACKED!! 3 cracks at the center hole. Other wise the disc was in MINT shape!! Blasted assembly people!! Blasted crappy digi-packs!!
Old 10-28-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I had some pixelation in my Invisible Woman movie for about three to four seconds at one point, meh, I'm not even going to bother to return for another set.
Old 10-28-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I've hit the jackpot with two Invisible Man Legacy Collections in a row. I picked one up yesterday (along with The Mummy & Creature from...) and Disk 2, Side B was defective (I got the dreaded "No Disc" message on two different DVD players.) I exchanged it this evening and, lucky me, the second copy has the same defect. Now, I have to return it to Costco tomorrow for a refund (unless they'll let me try out a third copy before I leave the store, as it looks like they got a bad run on this title,) then try to find it at another local B&M. I'm just glad I didn't buy this online and was stuck doing mail-back exchanges.

Universal, get your ****ing act together on these sets (I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my Amazon preorders of The Marx Brothers and W.C. Fields collections because of this and previous problems with the Abbott and Costello DVDs.)