Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The West Wing: Wed. 10-20

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-04, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The West Wing: Wed. 10-20

Does anybody still watch? I thought last night's episode was pretty good, especially considering how disappointing last season was.

Its disturbing to see Bartlett and Leo's relationship deteriorating so drastically. Their relationship has driven the show, at least in my mind, over the years. I hope they can overcome their differences, which seem to be multiplying each week.

Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda will join the cast in the coming weeks. Alda as a potenial candidate for the Republican nomination, Smits as a Democrat. The previews for the coming weeks also reveal that former V.P. Hoines will return to the show.

Eight straight new episodes (though, I assume last night's counts as one of them).
Old 10-21-04, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Awful, again.

Everything that has gone wrong with WW is reflected in the change in music. The jaunty score of yore has been replaced by a Jerry Bruckheimer score - I almost expect to see Martin Sheen walking in slomo at this point.

I'm not sure what's more sad, when a great show dies out of natural causes (XFiles) or when a great show literally has a heart attack and immediately begins sucking (WW).
Old 10-21-04, 12:07 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
The Leo/Bartlett conflict is a bit hard to buy. Especially when at times in the past Leo has had to talk him out of swift military retribution. It seems like a bad way to lead into
Spoiler:
Leo's heart attack

I did like the Josh/Donna scenes.
Old 10-21-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesn't even "feel" like West Wing. And I'm hating the new blonde bitch. Who/What is she supposed to be anyway?
Old 10-21-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Kal-El
Doesn't even "feel" like West Wing. And I'm hating the new blonde bitch. Who/What is she supposed to be anyway?
She's the assistant National Security Advisor.
Old 10-21-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I skipped all of last season. The commercials sucked me into giving it another chance last night. Everything is about averting World War 5 now. And every 3 episodes someone has to resign.
Old 10-21-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
The Leo/Bartlett conflict is a bit hard to buy. Especially when at times in the past Leo has had to talk him out of swift military retribution. It seems like a bad way to lead into
Spoiler:
Leo's heart attack

Have to disagree. Leo is left to handle the retaliation while the President is negotiating. "Bomb the camp as soon as the Palestinian delegation touches down."
Old 10-21-04, 07:29 PM

you would think that the NSA advisor would have time for something as important as this. i forgot why she was MIA
Old 10-21-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally posted by MrX
Spoiler:
Leo's heart attack
Allison Janney was on "The View" (yeah, I know, but I wanted to see what Allison would say) I think yesterday AM, and she said that
Spoiler:
her character, CJ, would be promoted to Chief of Staff. Is Leo's character leaving/dying?
Makes me wonder, because I hadn't heard anything.
Old 10-21-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this whole upcoming storyline with cj is so stupid.

Spoiler:
why the hell would she be promoted to chief of staff? she was a ad person for a movie studio before press secretary whereas josh (the logical candidate), has been working in politics his entire life. for crying out loud, he almost got hoynes elected! the leo having a heart attack storyline i can buy because of the stress involved, but to have cj as his replacement is utter nonsense.

this show has gone into the trash so fast it's unbelievable. the only good thing about it now is seemingly josh and donna. such a sad state for a show that was once so abso-freakin-lutely great.
Old 10-22-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, not buying the whole Leo/Jed squabble, but that's typical of the way the show has gone under Wells.

Don't think we'll be getting shots of the "Let Bartlett Be Barlett" napkin on the Prez's desk anytime soon.

It's just your typical network drama nowadays. It used to be sooooo much more.
Old 10-22-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Yeah - nothing to write home about with this episode. The question is when do I pull the plug.
Old 10-22-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by shoppingbear
Allison Janney was on "The View" (yeah, I know, but I wanted to see what Allison would say) I think yesterday AM, and she said that
Spoiler:
her character, CJ, would be promoted to Chief of Staff. Is Leo's character leaving/dying?
Makes me wonder, because I hadn't heard anything.
Makes no sense. Josh Lyman is Leo's deputy. He should be next in line for the post.
Old 10-22-04, 05:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with everyone's opinion. I'm finding really hard to watch this show, especially when the characters are going against character. Didn't John Wells and the rest of the writing staff ever WATCH the show? I mean, it's rerun on Bravo and in syndication. Maybe someone should tell them.

I remember the episode where Bartletts doctor was shot down and killed and he wanted to basically make the middle east a glass bowl. It was Leo who was talking him down. And now the roles are reversed? I can't stand the character of C.J. She's the press secretary for chrrist sakes! Why would she be involved in all the major decisions? Before, she was always out of the loop until they had to divulge info to the public. Man, I miss Sam more and more. And why should anyone care if th e vice president has an opinion? They didn't before. Where's the cool, down to earth NSA advisor, who kept calling Admiral Fitzwallace, "Admiral Sissypants" in one episode? I used to love this show. I guess I'll have to keep watching the reruns and hope, although I know it won't happen, that Aaron Sorkin comes back with a whiffle bat and starts pummeling everyone in the writers room.

"You make Leo and Jed fight about what?" BWAP!!

"You made Josh a simpering fool?" BWAP!

"C.J. is more important than Toby AND JOSH?" BWAP!

"You resolve complex story lines that used to take week by the first commercial?" BWAP!
Old 10-22-04, 06:32 PM

I guess I'll have to keep watching the reruns and hope, although I know it won't happen, that Aaron Sorkin comes back with a whiffle bat and starts pummeling everyone in the writers room.

"You make Leo and Jed fight about what?" BWAP!!

"You made Josh a simpering fool?" BWAP!

"C.J. is more important than Toby AND JOSH?" BWAP!

"You resolve complex story lines that used to take week by the first commercial?" BWAP! [/B]
||

I actually just got into the series at the end of last season. The episode that hooked me was the one with Glenn Close as a potential supreme court nominee. Before that, I would have caught maybe a total of 2 episodes here and there. Compared to the other mindless crap that's on TV these days, I'm liking the West Wing well enough. But I have to say, everything I've read from fans has been pretty negative, and only makes me wonder how awesome the first seasons probably were.

How big a difference are we talking here?
Old 10-22-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by NoxHaveN
Compared to the other mindless crap that's on TV these days, I'm liking the West Wing well enough. But I have to say, everything I've read from fans has been pretty negative, and only makes me wonder how awesome the first seasons probably were.

Imagine the difference between the first and third seasons of the original Star Trek.
Old 10-22-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kevin75
this whole upcoming storyline with cj is so stupid.

Spoiler:
why the hell would she be promoted to chief of staff? she was a ad person for a movie studio before press secretary whereas josh (the logical candidate), has been working in politics his entire life. for crying out loud, he almost got hoynes elected! the leo having a heart attack storyline i can buy because of the stress involved, but to have cj as his replacement is utter nonsense.

It doesn't make much sense.
Spoiler:
C.J. is definitely not the politico that Josh (or even Toby) is. The only way I could possibly see them justify passing over Josh and Toby for C.J. is because she doesn't alienate people as much as they do.

and it would still be stupid

C.J. was so much more interesting when she wasn't such an insider and whenever she did know something, she'd have to deal with Danny.
Old 10-22-04, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
||

I actually just got into the series at the end of last season. The episode that hooked me was the one with Glenn Close as a potential supreme court nominee.
Luckily (or unlikely depending on how you look at it) you managed to catch one of the three good episodes from last season. If you like the show the way it is you might want to stay away from the first two seasons as that will only serve as a reminder of how far the show has fallen since then.
I'd mail the whiffle bats to Sorkin myself if I thought it would make any difference.
Old 10-22-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
But I have to say, everything I've read from fans has been pretty negative, and only makes me wonder how awesome the first seasons probably were.

Many consider the first few seasons of West Wing to be the best drama in recent TV history.

You owe it to yourself to catch the series either on DVD (Seasons 1 and 2 out now, Season 3 out in two weeks) or via the numerous Bravo reruns (not sure when the cycle starts over from the beginning again though).

I first started watching when Bravo started airing it about this time last year. I'd Tivo two weeks at a time and then watch all 10 on a weekend, usually without a break.

It was a magical show.
Old 10-22-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i don't have a problem with cj, i have always liked her character. however, the progression is just idiotic. while she is now in the inner circle, the upcoming plotline goes beyond the suspension of disbelief. i may have to put in my season 2 DVD so i can watch a really good season premiere.
Old 10-23-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
||

I actually just got into the series at the end of last season. The episode that hooked me was the one with Glenn Close as a potential supreme court nominee. Before that, I would have caught maybe a total of 2 episodes here and there. Compared to the other mindless crap that's on TV these days, I'm liking the West Wing well enough. But I have to say, everything I've read from fans has been pretty negative, and only makes me wonder how awesome the first seasons probably were.

That was the only great episode from last season. The rest were mediocre.