Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Doc Hollywood..Anybody Else Want A Better Release?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Doc Hollywood..Anybody Else Want A Better Release?

Old 10-21-04, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doc Hollywood..Anybody Else Want A Better Transfer/Release?

This has been playing on cable- actually it seems like it's ALWAYS playing on cable- and I was thinking I'd like to watch this on disc to see how much better it looks, as I picked it up cheap some time back and had never watched it. Not only is it pan and scan, it looks AWFUL......it probably looks better than this on videotape.
This is a great little movie, good cast and good entertainment. Anyone else wish we could get a widescreen cleaned up version of this?

Last edited by nightmaster; 10-21-04 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-21-04, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It's one of many titles that I won't buy because of this simple rule I shop by:

NO OAR = NO SALE

Give me an OAR release, and I'd grab it in a minute - great fun.
Old 10-21-04, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, not really.
Old 10-21-04, 08:04 AM

How funny, I actually popped this in last night, and watched it, and was thinking the same thing. It does have a good cast, and has a certain charm to it.
On a side note I really don't agree on the NO Oar = NO Sale thing. Kind of silly, If it's a movie you really like then I don't see the point, just get it. There is just as much a argument that not buying has the opposite affect, that less sales mean no reason for the studios to cash in on a re-release later. I think it's a wash on this one, and especially in this case where it's been out for a long time with no sign of a re-release then buy it, and enjoy. I only buy OAR if I have the choice, but if it's a film I really like then I want it in my collection no matter what..
Old 10-21-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with you completely Scott. It's a lovable movie in a kind of Norhern Exposure way, not so biting but has a flavor to it along those lines.
If I can buy widescreen I buy widescreen, but if it's PS or nothing then I settle for what I can get. Considering that the new widescreen TVs and some DVD players can compensate slightly for the pan and scan format without doing any stretching makes pan and scan slightly more palatable, again, if there is no other choice on the market. This movie looks incredibly soft and smeary, and that's just on my 27 inch screen, so I can imagine how crummy the transfer looks on larger sets.
Old 10-21-04, 08:22 AM

I own this release because of my wife. Regardless though I dont see much replay value in it -- its at best an OK movie without any real pull you into the story' feeling.

No double dip for me, I didnt even want to dip the first time....
Old 10-21-04, 08:36 AM

Yeah, I'd buy if there was a better version. At least OAR. I enjoyed this one quite a bit in theaters. Thought it had a nice tone and a few chuckles. And Julie Warner. Woof.
Old 10-21-04, 08:38 AM

it's all personal taste , this is one of those movies I pop in once in a while, and at the end I'm in a better mood. Not saying it's Lawrence of Arabia or anything, it's a feel good movie on a rainy day thing. Certain movies pull you in for different reasons. For this one it's the cast of charming characters, small town life..it's just easy to watch.
Old 10-21-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no
Old 10-21-04, 02:00 PM

Now mind you, I've never seen the film, but I was told that when it was in theatrical release it was one of the few (if not the only ever) PG-13 movies to feature full-frontal nudity (courtesy of Julie Warner). I understand she's only topless in P&S cable and video versions of the film thanks to the way it was reframed...it would be interesting to see if a hypothetical WS version featured her in all her glory.
Old 10-21-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was one of the first DVDs I ever bought like 3 years ago... and its still sitting on my shelf sealed. I liked the movie, but I never feel like ripping it open just to watch some P&S garbage.
Old 10-21-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Scott716

On a side note I really don't agree on the NO Oar = NO Sale thing. Kind of silly, If it's a movie you really like then I don't see the point, just get it.

It's really a question of priorities. I know that there are always more movies that I want than I can actually afford to buy (my spending is excessive as it is!). Being practical and realizing that I can't own 'em all, I choose to pass on non-OAR releases rather than pass on movies that are being presented properly.
Old 10-21-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a few non-OAR movies because my desire to own them outweighed my preference for OAR. This isn't one of them--I like it but not enough to buy any old version they put out. I've picked it up a few times but always put it back due to the full-frame presentation. If it's ever released widescreen, I'll probably pick it up, especially if it's spiffed up a bit at the same time.
Old 10-21-04, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by marty888
It's really a question of priorities. I know that there are always more movies that I want than I can actually afford to buy (my spending is excessive as it is!). Being practical and realizing that I can't own 'em all, I choose to pass on non-OAR releases rather than pass on movies that are being presented properly.
Well yeah, if it's not high on your must have list anyways then why bother, but if like for someone like myself it's a movie I know I'll watch more then once it's worth it to me. Everyone has different tastes in movies and it is a priority thing what to buy and don't buy because your right you can't get them all. I only buy movies I know I'll watch multiple times, and that's maybe only around 200 that are out. I look at the movie itself first, then worry about how it's presented second, and hope it was done right, but if not I still want that movie if that's the only way I can have it, but would only do that with titles I'm really fond of.

oh and on a side note out of the almost 200 I have only two are non-OAR(besides TV shows), this one and Trancers...they were must haves for me.

Last edited by Scott716; 10-21-04 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the widescreen LD of this title, and you see considerable LESS of Julie warners naked body! So you ar egetting LESS on widescreen. Meaning the current dVD is open matte, not pan and scan.
Old 10-21-04, 04:53 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Andrew J.
Now mind you, I've never seen the film, but I was told that when it was in theatrical release it was one of the few (if not the only ever) PG-13 movies to feature full-frontal nudity (courtesy of Julie Warner). I understand she's only topless in P&S cable and video versions of the film thanks to the way it was reframed...it would be interesting to see if a hypothetical WS version featured her in all her glory.
If you are referring to the scene with her coming out of the lake. She is wearing underwear in that scene. Which is visible on some fullscreen releases of the film.
Old 10-21-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
The wife likes this one, but it is a low enough priority to wait behind some others for a better release.
Old 10-24-04, 09:54 AM
boe
Suspended

I would double dip for a better release
Old 10-24-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by boe
I would double dip for a better release
Same here. Love this film!
Old 10-24-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As would I considering how crummy the current release is. Maybe it's an Indiana thing Indianajdp....we're both from the state Doc supposedly hails from.
Julie Warner looks WAY hot in this; it's one of those little movies I will always stop and watch if I happen upon it while channel surfing.

Last edited by nightmaster; 10-24-04 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-24-04, 08:08 PM

I don't own it now, but I would certainly buy it if it came out in anamorphic widescreen (OAR of course...)
Old 10-30-04, 02:00 AM

Liked the movie....skipped buying it awhile back after finding out it was Pan & Scam....would buy it if in OAR/anamorphic widescreen!
Old 10-30-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I seem to watch it enough on cable but would buy it down the road if a widescreen became available.
Old 12-12-10, 01:35 PM
Cool New Member

Re: Doc Hollywood..Anybody Else Want A Better Release?

I own the full screen (p/s) version, and would jump on double dip purchase OAR widescreen without a second thought. This title needs a refresh.....
Old 12-12-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Doc Hollywood..Anybody Else Want A Better Release?

I would buy this again. The old version is not only foolscreen it's also in a crappy case.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.