DVD Talk
Sleepaway Camps'... Any good? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Sleepaway Camps'... Any good?

GoldenJCJ
10-20-04, 08:35 PM
I keep seeing the Sleepaway Camp Survival Kit for sale at BB for like $24 (not a bad price for a complete set of movies IMO).

I'm curious if these movies are any good or if they're just a waste of time. By "good" I mean are they entertaining enough to own? I'm obviously not expecting Lawrence of Arabia or anything but maybe compared to the Friday the 13th movies. I don't really know anything at all about these movies so I'm not sure what to expect. Are they scary, funny (intentionally), gory, what? Or are they the type of horror movies you can only make it through halfway before turning it off in disgust?

I'd also like to know from anyone who owns the Sleepaway survival kit how the DVDs are? I'm posting this in the MovieTalk forum because I mainly care about opinions of the movies themselves but any info on the DVDs would be appreciated...Anamorphic, extras, etc.

jessecrx
10-20-04, 09:17 PM
I own that set and ....well.....to be honest.....they are VERY bad movies but they are so bad that they are good....its kinda hard to explain. JUST DONT READ THE DESCRIPTIONS ON THE BOXES!! They ruin the endings!

Gory and very very cheesy.....I liked them....

Think of acting in The Black Samurai meets the gore of Friday the 13th and you get an idea of how cheesy it is.

marty888
10-20-04, 09:58 PM
Lots of fun and gore, and they never takes themselves too seriously. If you're totally unfamiliar with these, read nothing before watching the first one - the ending is a kick in the head.

The DVDs themselves are quite good - anamorphic OAR transfers, commentaries, some deleted scenes, etc.

If you enjoy "campy" horror, you'll have a great time.

littlefuzzy
10-20-04, 11:23 PM
On the DVD side, if you see the box with the Red Cross on it, grab it, as they were forced to remove that from future boxes. Best Buy has an exclusive fourth disc with some snippets of the never finished "Sleepaway Camp IV."

DRG
10-21-04, 12:05 PM
The first one is for the most part a typical 80s slasher movie, middle-of-the-pack in terms of quality (not one of the best, but still watchable). What sets it apart is the ending, as mentioned above.

Part two is actually my favorite. It's cheesy, but it's a really fun film. Pamela Springsteen (Bruce's sis) gives a great performance here, and the film has some funny in-jokes about other popular horror movies.

Part three doesn't do it for me. It was filmed at the same time as two, with the same director and writer, but it has none of the charm.

dick_grayson
10-21-04, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by marty888
Lots of fun and gore, and they never takes themselves too seriously. If you're totally unfamiliar with these, read nothing before watching the first one - the ending is a kick in the head.

Definately :up:

matome
10-21-04, 02:36 PM
Yep, the final shot creeped the hell out of me. Yeesh.

wordtoyamotha
10-21-04, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by littlefuzzy
On the DVD side, if you see the box with the Red Cross on it, grab it, as they were forced to remove that from future boxes. Best Buy has an exclusive fourth disc with some snippets of the never finished "Sleepaway Camp IV."

Not to steal your thunder, but I have the Red Cross Edition and the 4th disc and they are not that much more valuable than the other set (according to eBay anyway).

soxfandoug
10-21-04, 04:19 PM
I really enjoyed the first one, but was not too impressed with the sequels. I'm glad they didn't finish making the fourth one, the footage on the Best Buy bonus looked terrible!

I too, was VERY creeped out by the final shot.

Strafe
10-21-04, 04:22 PM
I just saw 2. I haven't seen the first one but already had the ending spoiled for me so it was no big deal. I would describe it as 'the kids from You Can't Do That on Television make a horror flick'. In other words, it was really campy, poorly acted and thoroughly enjoyable.

inkblots
10-25-04, 01:54 PM
once again the kit is worth just based on the ending of part 1. Has to be one the most disturbing scenes in film.

indianajdp
10-25-04, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by inkblots
once again the kit is worth just based on the ending of part 1. Has to be one the most disturbing scenes in film.

True dat.

I saw it when I was 13 (1986) and it still creeps the shit outta me to this day just thinking about that scene.

ClownFace666
10-26-04, 12:43 AM
These movies are as dumb as hell.

Part 2 especially is very campy. I found that one entertaining though.

Part 1 tries to play straight. The end will either have you disgusted, shocked, or laughing out of your seat.

Part 3 everyone just seems so tired, even the killer who acts uninterested and kills just like it's brushing your teeth.

ytrez
10-26-04, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by ClownFace666
These movies are as dumb as hell.

Part 2 especially is very campy. I found that one entertaining though.

Part 1 tries to play straight. The end will either have you disgusted, shocked, or laughing out of your seat.

Part 3 everyone just seems so tired, even the killer who acts uninterested and kills just like it's brushing your teeth.

80's horror movies hold a special place in my heart and these films hold of well to the 80's conventions. Clever kills (or trying to be clever), T&A, blood & gore, sleepaway camp has it all. On top of all that, Sleepaway Camp doesn't take itself too seriously, especially the sequels.

Clown, I quoted the above simply because I found it amusing that you though part 2 was "campy":) (Being Sleepaway CAMP & all)

Part 3 is a bit tired but it still holds true to the conventions, which makes it fun for me.

Norm de Plume
10-26-04, 09:23 PM
I've only seen the first one; it's atrocious trash. Not scary, gory, or entertaining in any way. And the "shock" ending girl with a wiener is laughable.

auto
10-27-04, 11:03 AM
I've got to agree. Pretty stupid.

Strafe
10-27-04, 11:46 AM
Finally saw the first one. I enjoyed the second much more. Actually, I didnt enjoy the first at all.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0