Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How to catch very rare, but repeated programs

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-20-04, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a couple movies/programs that I know will never come out on DVD, but they do apparently show up from time to time on PBS or cable channels. Any suggestions on how to check schedules over a LONG period of time, maybe a couple years?

Shows I am looking for are;

PBS at least once has shown the wide screen version of Pirates of Penzance with Linda Ronstadt (movie, not whats on dvd). Only time I have seen even part of it was during fund raising shows where advance programming info is often poor.

Ovation channel has shown all the episodes of Transatlantic Sessions, including the early ones which have some issue blocking DVD release (emmylou harris, Mcgarrigle sisters, more).
Old 10-20-04, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Err... Your first paragraph wasn't the clearest to me, but you're asking to see what's going to air on a channel during a year or more? Sorry, but it's impossible. PBS sometimes makes their schedule up for a couple of months in advance I believe, but almost no channel will ever have schedules printed for two/three months in advance.
Old 10-20-04, 04:52 AM

Actually the question is more into what sort of tools or service do people use to automatically check for programs they like. In the case of PBS it isn't unusual for even TV guide etc. to have the schedules wrong during pledge weeks, so I wasn't giving any hope to a accurate long view, just a convenient way to check automatically.
Old 10-20-04, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah I don't think even the networks know for sure that at 8pm on a tues day, 2 years from now, they will show whatever...

best ya might be able to do is sign up for http://www.titantv.com (it's free) and you can search for programs that might be on.. Plus even better for you is that you can put in info on show and have the page "remind" you that something is on and even send an email.. So that way, ya might as least get some fair warning..

might also try an emial to PBS if it's just for that one film.. worth a shot..
Old 10-20-04, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PBS often times shows repeats of the show over the weekend or again later in the week. that happens with NOVA a lot of the times. If you miss it, you can catch it again at a later time by checking out the website.
Old 10-20-04, 07:41 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If you have a TiVo you can do a wishlist for the title you're looking for, and it'll record it if it shows up on any channel.
Old 10-20-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
If you have a TiVo you can do a wishlist for the title you're looking for, and it'll record it if it shows up on any channel.
Yep. That would solve your problem no matter when the show airs.
Old 10-20-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo.
TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo. TiVo.
Old 10-20-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone mentioned Tivo?

Oh, yeah, now I see.
Old 10-20-04, 03:17 PM

RE Tivo, too much fuss and expense compared to my HTPC with AIW and free GemStar schedule, or going with cables HD and DVR options (SA8000HD). Seems to me a DVR with any future needs to have some kind of support for digital copyright stuff. Also I live in a small canyon with no line of sight to any OTA, and a association that forbids any exterior antenna. (what I would need is a minimum 10' mast, with 20 maybe a lot more practical for getting a decent signal). I wish I could do what a friend did, bought an old telephone pole about 50' tall.

I will go and check out that tv link now, thanks.