DVD Talk
Saw A Clock Work Orange for the first time [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Saw A Clock Work Orange for the first time

Mr.Blonde510
10-18-04, 02:26 AM
I didnt know what this movie was about, just knew it was critcally acclaimed, when it started I was thinking I wouldnt like it, but gradually it grew on me and became one of the most thought provoking movies i've ever seen, its a great movie, we need more movies like this.

Easily a Cult Classic

joeydaninja
10-18-04, 02:39 AM
yeah, it's a movie that you might not like in the beginning, but the more you think about it, the more it sticks to your head.

Mr.Blonde510
10-18-04, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by joeydaninja
yeah, it's a movie that you might not like in the beginning, but the more you think about it, the more it sticks to your head. Yeah, plus the movie really didnt have much depth in the beginning.

FinkPish
10-18-04, 03:04 AM
That was sort of the point, that this guy was a shallow, useless person who wasn't doing anything with his life other than getting girls, stealing and getting into fights.

Rivero
10-18-04, 04:10 AM
and the great and troubling thing about the movie is that by the end we are actually rooting for Alex to go back to his old and murderous ways. Or at least I was.

A Bona Fide Masterpiece.

http://datacore.sciflicks.com/a_clockwork_orange/images/a_clockwork_orange_large_09.jpg

nightmaster
10-18-04, 04:19 AM
This movie took awhile to grow on me as well. Disturbing as hell.

Supermallet
10-18-04, 04:23 AM
This was the first Kubrick film I ever saw. Pure genius from beginning to end.

bouncingsoul
10-18-04, 04:52 AM
And the book is awesome, too (even better than the movie, IMO). Reading through it is like learning a different language.

eedoon
10-18-04, 06:04 AM
I'm mixed bag about this movie. Like some other Kubrick's movie I've seen, I just "didn't get" it, even after subsequent viewings. Oh well.

garolo
10-18-04, 10:11 AM
I was never be able to fully enjoy Singing in the Rain again after seeing A Clockwork Orange.

Most Kubrick's films take a few viewings to fully appreciate the masterful way he told a story.

waveform
10-18-04, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by nightmaster
This movie took awhile to grow on me as well. Disturbing as hell.

But, on the plus side, you get to see what Darth Vader really looked like.

das Monkey
10-18-04, 12:43 PM
bouncingsoul

And the book is awesome, too (even better than the movie, IMO). Reading through it is like learning a different language.
I love the book. It's certainly a unique experience, but it's a really good read and very rewarding when you realize about halfway through that you're almost reading another language.

das

Mr.Blonde510
10-19-04, 02:47 AM
I've heard that theres a newer cut of the movie that adds a ending where the main character is a father is this true?

Rivero
10-19-04, 02:55 AM
Hellz no.

caligulathegod
10-19-04, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Mr.Blonde510
I've heard that theres a newer cut of the movie that adds a ending where the main character is a father is this true? No, there's a chapter in the book that was never in the American printings that was in the English printings. It was restored a few years ago.

chente
10-20-04, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by das Monkey
I love the book. It's certainly a unique experience, but it's a really good read and very rewarding when you realize about halfway through that you're almost reading another language.

das

Exactly my experience when I read it years ago. I still occasionly use "viddy".

I took a quick look and found this dictionary (http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Lot/3272/nadsat.htm)

shaggy
10-20-04, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by joeydaninja
yeah, it's a movie that you might not like in the beginning, but the more you think about it, the more it sticks to your head.

Most Kubrick films had this effect on me, half way through the film, I start thinking "this Sucks" "overrated" etc etc, and then by the end I like it, and four days later its still in my mind. The sign of a great film.

movielib
10-20-04, 09:07 AM
When I read the book decades ago there was a glossary in the back which was very helpful. I found myself referring to it in the beginning and gradually looking at it less and less as I picked up the "language." My understanding is the glossary is not included in current editions.

Original Desmond
10-20-04, 11:42 PM
Fucking classic movie

stylish with a message which is as relevant today as it was back then

Fucking rocks all kinds of ultraviolence !

Tyler_Durden
10-21-04, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by caligulathegod
No, there's a chapter in the book that was never in the American printings that was in the English printings. It was restored a few years ago. That final chapter is amazingly inappropriate. It trivializes all the statements about free will and reasons for defending it that have come before, and allows Burgess to sheepishly retreat into "safe" moral ground. Kubrick absolutely made the right choice in leaving it out (and yes, he did become aware of the existence of the last chapter before he started filming).

Groucho
10-21-04, 09:55 AM
I was lucky enough to attend a screening a couple years ago with Malcolm McDowell in attendance. He gave a great Q&A after the movie which was very interesting. An unforgettable evening.

joltaddict
10-21-04, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by chente
I still occasionly use "viddy".

I still say Eggywagi.

ThickAsABrick
10-21-04, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by das Monkey

das

I agree with my droogies. First Kubrick I saw... afterwords I was hooked. What can I say that hasn't already been said...

Razor Ramon
10-27-04, 08:38 AM
The beginning of the film is just as good as the rest in its own right, thanks to Kubrick. Whenever I hear "The Thieving Magpie" all I can picture are those first brutal crimes... and how well they were choreographed with the music. I especially like the sequence when Alex walks with his Droogs before he disciplines them, in slow motion.

One of my favorite elements of this movie is the narration, which is genius.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0