Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

As of late,what anime series are worth purchasing?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Anime news(except for AnimeonDVD) seems to be slim around here.What recent releases(especially series)would catch the eye of an anime fan.
Old 10-17-04, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no idea of the title or even the exact genre, but I think it was fantasy, but years ago, in my local comic book/gaming/hobby store, they were showing an animated movie (or perhaps it was a series) that used motion captured movements for its characters. The scene I remember looked a bit like the Mines of Moria from LOTR. Did the '70s animated LOTR series use motion capture?
Old 10-17-04, 03:45 PM

The Lord of the Rings did have a cartoon version that had real motion in it that was animated over. It was the second film I think.
Old 10-17-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second the recommendation for Azumanga Daioh.

Tokyo Godfathers is a beautiful movie, based on The Three Godfathers by John Ford.

If you haven't already picked them up, .hack//SIGN, Witch Hunter Robin, and I believe s-CRY-ed are all coming out in complete collections that look pretty nice.
Old 10-17-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Azumanga is my drug. I loved it and followed it when it was just coming out in japan through fansubs and I couldn't wait to buy the dvds. It's a anime about nothing and very very funny.
Old 10-17-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are a fan of Cowboy Bebop, you might consider Wolf's Rain. You might want to consider it either way.

Personally, I am still waiting for something to surface with Princess Knight (Ribbon No Kishi). It's out in Japan, but no English subtitles=no sale.
Old 10-17-04, 08:00 PM
Banned

Get GTO damn funny show. It never gets boring and story is pretty good. Magic Users Club is also damn good and funny.
Old 10-17-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Azumanga is my drug. I loved it and followed it when it was just coming out in japan through fansubs and I couldn't wait to buy the dvds. It's a anime about nothing and very very funny.
I totally agree. I love Azumanga Daioh. I am currently watching the disc that came out last tuesday. Do you know how many discs total?
Old 10-17-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Judremy
The Lord of the Rings did have a cartoon version that had real motion in it that was animated over. It was the second film I think.
[off topic]It was the first film, titled Lord of the Rings. Ralph Bakshi did a lot of rotoscoping stuff. The second one, Return of the King, was done by Rankin-Bass and was all traditional cel animation in the same style that the used for the TV special "The Hobbit".
Old 10-17-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Azumanga should be six disc in all.

I would also add Read Or Die to the list. it's a pretty good series and jumps from the OVA.
Old 10-17-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Azumanga should be six disc in all.

I would also add Read Or Die to the list. it's a pretty good series and jumps from the OVA.
Thanks! I will have to keep my eye out for it.
Old 10-17-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just completed the Rahxephon and Noir series. I am currently awaiting the Escaflowne series from Rightstuf. The Witch Hunter Robin series comes out in a complete set on October 26. I would also suggest Texhnolyze, Gungrave and especially Last Exile.
Old 10-17-04, 10:55 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was surprised no one mentioned Last Exile.
Old 10-17-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been getting the Ghost in the Shell series, and the rerelease of the Evangelion dvd's. Also have the Witch Hunter Robin set coming out this month too to pick up.
Old 10-18-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Current series I'm buying include:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Azumanga Daioh

and

Texhnolyze
Definitely a big to those series. I am collecting all of them. Also as others have mentioned: Wolf's Rain, Last Exile, and ROD TV. Though the latter might be a turn off for some fans of the ROD OVA, the series begins very "cute" and eventually connects more with the OVA. I know some people were turned off originally by the change in tone from OVA to TV.

Also, the new Eva release is nice, and should be picked up if you are a fan of the show. And my favorite Nurse Witch Komugi-chan.

Other series that might interest you:
Comic Party (a very nice release from Right Stuf), Tsukihime (a great short series that just started coming out here), Stellvia (very cool show), and a great 'slice of life' type show Someday's Dreamer.

There are tons of great anime available now and even more great ones on the horizon like Elfin Lied. Can not wait for this release here
Old 10-18-04, 01:41 PM

Azumanga Daioh, Initial D, Read or Die, Saiyuki, Full Metal Panic are all good series. Currently watching Get Backers which is finally starting to make it here. Saw the whole series on VCD and it's really good. Also, don't know how soon it'll make it here, but Naruto is really good too.
Old 04-09-05, 08:44 PM

Help Needed on 80's Anime!!!

Friend is in to old 80's anime, and wanted to know if an old favorite is available on DVD. He does not know the name but it started with Tran and ended in Z (Tran Z) or Tren Z (regarding Robots???).Could be a clone of Transformer or a ripe off with the success of Transformers?

Any help would be appreciated, been looking on Anime sites all morning with nothing even close regarding this Title. Any links would be appreciated or any suggestions!

Cheers,
...BMatt
Old 04-09-05, 09:04 PM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Anime news(except for AnimeonDVD) seems to be slim around here.What recent releases(especially series)would catch the eye of an anime fan.
*shamless plug* DVDTalk does have its own column on anime where the latest releases are reviewed, bargains are posted, and up coming series are noted....you should check it out:

http://dvdtalk.com/anime/

Be sure to check out last year's top ten list too:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/features/003575.html

many of the titles mentioned in this thread are on the list.

</plug>
Old 04-09-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Could this be it?
http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1...azinger_z.html
Old 04-09-05, 09:38 PM

I picked up the fist volume of Samurai Champloo and it's pretty good. Same animation company that did the Oren Ishi-i anime scene in Kill Bill Vol. 1.
Old 04-09-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I'd recommend Samurai Champloo as well.Unfortunately the series won't be done being released until next year.
Old 04-09-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm currently buying the following series and enjoying them:

Fullmetal Alchemist
Samurai Champloo
Neon Genesis:Evangelion (platinum)
Ghost in the Shell:SAC
Old 04-09-05, 11:49 PM

the first couple of volumes of DNAngel were interesting. Paranoia Agent is cool as well.

Gantz is pretty out there - you can pick up copies @ deepdiscountdvd for 10.xx. (But buyer beware - only two episodes per disc)
Old 04-10-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BrunnenMatt
Friend is in to old 80's anime, and wanted to know if an old favorite is available on DVD. He does not know the name but it started with Tran and ended in Z (Tran Z) or Tren Z (regarding Robots???).Could be a clone of Transformer or a ripe off with the success of Transformers?

Any help would be appreciated, been looking on Anime sites all morning with nothing even close regarding this Title. Any links would be appreciated or any suggestions!

Cheers,
...BMatt
Your thinking of the american version of Mazinger Z. It was titled "Tranzor Z" here in the states.
Old 04-10-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

High marks for Samurai Champloo, it was done by the creator of Cowboy Bebop. Very cool show that is all over the place.

Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd Gig is pretty cool too, don't know when that will be out in the US though.

Very High recommendations for a show called School Rumble, I don't know if it will ever be out in the US, but it is freakin' hilarious and highly entertaining. Unfortunetly the site that was making the fansubs got shutdown around ep 18.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.