Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Category 6: Day of Destruction

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Category 6: Day of Destruction

Watch out, 10.5.2 - Aftershock! There's competition from Brian Dennehy, Diane Wiest, Randy Quaid, and the brilliant Nancy McKeon.

November 14 & 17, prepare yourself for Category 6 ... Day of Destruction! Only on CBS.

das
Old 10-17-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll watch this, although just from the title I can tell it's not going to be very accurate (there's a shock).

When I saw the title in your post, I figured it had something to do with a huge hurricane hitting the US since hurricane strrength is based on the Saffir-Simpson scale (Categories 1-5). Hence, seeing the title of Category 6, how could I not think it was about a hurricane? According to this Zap2it article, it's about tornadoes, an "abnormally warm storm front," and "a blast of Arctic air."

Even if the movie is crap (which is likely), at least they have a character named "Tornado Tommy."

Last edited by scott27; 10-17-04 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-17-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's where I'm coming from. I can watch Sharon Lawrence run around in tight outfits trying to combat the Atomic Twister, and I can watch Kim Delaney run around in tight outfits trying to combat a 10.5. Somehow, however -- I can't put my finger on why exactly -- watching Brian Dennehy run around in any outfit doesn't seem as appealing.

das
Old 10-17-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Here's where I'm coming from. I can watch Sharon Lawrence run around in tight outfits trying to combat the Atomic Twister, and I can watch Kim Delaney run around in tight outfits trying to combat a 10.5. Somehow, however -- I can't put my finger on why exactly -- watching Brian Dennehy run around in any outfit doesn't seem as appealing.

While you bring up a good point das, being a meteorologist these weather disaster movies always appeal to me, so I have to watch it whether it stars Carmen Electra in a bikini or Brian Dennehy.
Old 10-18-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I guess the budget couldn't have been too big. Nancy McKeon? What is this? 1984?

Dianne Wiest? Haven't we learned anything from the debacle that was Nora Lewin?
Old 10-18-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by scott27
I'll watch this, although just from the title I can tell it's not going to be very accurate (there's a shock).

When I saw the title in your post, I figured it had something to do with a huge hurricane hitting the US since hurricane strrength is based on the Saffir-Simpson scale (Categories 1-5).
There is a "Fujita" scale for tornados that also runs 1-5. I guess "6" is their idea for an "off the charts" tornado.
http://www.tornadoproject.com/fscale/fscale.htm

Maybe a better link. The winds are guesses, they are assessed by the damage scale. I guess 6 would be "mind boggling damage"
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/oakfield/Fscale.htm

Last edited by OldDude; 10-18-04 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-18-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There actually is a 6 on the Fujita scale (it goes to 12 or 13, I think). Tornadoes only go up to 5, though.

I still stick by my statement that the title of Category 6 should mean the movie is about hurricanes. Hurricanes are called Category 1, Category 2, etc. The Fujita scale is F1, F2, etc.
Old 10-26-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
I guess the budget couldn't have been too big. Nancy McKeon? What is this? 1984?
They might have had a big budget. They just didn't spend it on actors. Or a script, I'll be willing to wager...

Originally posted by Red Dog
Dianne Wiest? Haven't we learned anything from the debacle that was Nora Lewin?
Look how long it's taken them to get rid of Elizabeth Rohm.
Old 10-26-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by scott27
I'll watch this, although just from the title I can tell it's not going to be very accurate (there's a shock)....

Even if the movie is crap (which is likely), at least they have a character named "Tornado Tommy."
Boy oh boy, am I looking forward to this! No matter what, it'll be a hoot, just for the potential for mocking!
Old 10-26-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It was originally to be titled "Category 5", but they determined that a tornado of that strength wouldn't be enough to lift Brian Dennehy off the ground.
Old 10-26-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
It was originally to be titled "Category 5", but they determined that a tornado of that strength wouldn't be enough to lift Brian Dennehy off the ground.
He is so gonna put on the Gacy make-up and come after you for that.