Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Help with an old music genre....

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-04, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I've heard the term "Acid Rock" over the years and I still wonder what the heck it is. I'm sure I've heard it some how some way on some rock station but I'm still kinda confused about what it is.

Can someone help me out with some examples of Acid Rock? Why is it called acid rock?
Old 10-17-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Got this brief description from an online music dictionary:

"Genre of American rock that emerged in the late 1960's, often associated with psychedelic drugs. Its style featured heavy amplification, instrumental improvisation, new sound technologies, and light shows."

Another site lists the following bands as examples of "Psychedelic Rock" but I think it's essentially the same thing:

The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Byrds, Captain Beefheart, Donovan, The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, Love, Parliament-Funkadelic, Pink Floyd, Santana, Sly and the Family Stone, The Velvet Underground, The Yardbirds, Frank Zappa

Last edited by The_Infidel; 10-17-04 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-17-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by The_Infidel

"Genre of American rock that emerged in the late 1960's, often associated with psychedelic drugs. Its style featured heavy amplification, instrumental improvisation, new sound technologies, and light shows."

Another site lists the following bands as examples of "Psychedelic Rock" but I think it's essentially the same thing:

The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Byrds, Captain Beefheart, Donovan, The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, Love, Parliament-Funkadelic, Pink Floyd, Santana, Sly and the Family Stone, The Velvet Underground, The Yardbirds, Frank Zappa
Hmm, I love most of those bands, and the hardest drugs I've ever taken are Xanax and codeine. What does that say about me?
Old 10-17-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
Hmm, I love most of those bands, and the hardest drugs I've ever taken are Xanax and codeine. What does that say about me?
You're not setting your goals high enough.
Old 10-17-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
It says you've only listened to those bands, you haven't really heard them!
Old 10-17-04, 01:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<small>
Originally posted by The_Infidel

</small>Although very much a personal view, I'd say that acid rock and psychedelic rock are not exactly interchangeable terms: maybe acid rock is the heavy end of the psychedelic rock spectrum?

NB) I would include Iron Butterfly, Blue Cheer and MC5 within the acid rock category.

Is Hawkwind "Space Rock"?
Old 10-17-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by benedict
<small></small>Although very much a personal view, I'd say that acid rock and psychedelic rock are not exactly interchangeable terms: maybe acid rock is the heavy end of the psychedelic rock spectrum?

NB) I would include Iron Butterfly, Blue Cheer and MC5 within the acid rock category.

Is Hawkwind "Space Rock"?
This is my take on it as well. Hard edged songs that tended to be long and repetitive with trippy lyrics.
Old 10-18-04, 05:17 AM

Jimi Hendrix is all one needs to know. Enjoy "God" as the world knew him, a young black man who happened to play guitar.
Old 10-18-04, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Hmmm, ok. Thanks folks.
Old 10-18-04, 04:16 PM

Suprised to see Jethro Tull not in that list.