Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with Onkyo HT (HT-R510) set up.(PICS)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-04, 05:13 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st question:
Ok I am having some trouble getting my Dolby Digital format to work on this system, all of the other formats work including direct, stereo, PLII movie/music Neo cinema/music, DTS, orchestra, unplugged ect. ect. But I can't get my DD light to light up on the amp (indicating the format is not selected/working) but when I cycle through the formats with the DSP button, there is no DD option, only everything else I listed.

I have to coax hooked in correctly(im sure because the DTS is working, right). I selected DD from the DVD for the format. On the DVD player the DD logo is lit up and say digital indicating it is working, but still unable to select DD format on the amp using any options that I can find.

2nd question:

Can you explaing the cinema filter to me? There is an option on the amp to select the cinema filter on or off, what is the best option I should use? What is this for?

Thanks for your help!! Pics, not sure if these help or not

Old 10-16-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
But I can't get my DD light to light up on the amp (indicating the format is not selected/working)
Well just a quick thought.

Make sure that you are using a disc that actually has a dd track to select. Second make sure that it is selected from the dvd's menu of audio options, third make sure that your player is set to output the correct stream.

Try the trouble shooting section of the manual.
Old 10-16-04, 05:59 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Well just a quick thought.

Make sure that you are using a disc that actually has a dd track to select. Second make sure that it is selected from the dvd's menu of audio options, third make sure that your player is set to output the correct stream.

Try the trouble shooting section of the manual.
Hmmm ok, I will try that, I will retrace my basics and try it again.

I was using The Matrix Reloaded for my DD disc, so I imagine that is ok. I did select the audio option from the disc. Your 3rd suggestion I will have to revisit that one again, I thought I had the output correctly but I will check again

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-16-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is your receiver an Onkyo TX-SR501? Looks like it to me.

Check to see what input the Onkyo receiver is using for the DVD.

You can select what audio connection to be assigned to each input (DVD, Video 1, etc.) Make sure you choose either AUTO or choose OPT or COAX to match whatever type of digital connection you are using. It's an Onkyo menu setting.

I think on your model you can hold down the DVD button on the front of the receiver for a few seconds and it will bring up the menu selection. Alternately, you may have to use the Audio Selection or Digital Input button to make the change.

Sonic
Old 10-16-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You said the DTS is working so I would assume you have it hooked up correctly. Make sure that the DTS is working using by using a dvd with a DTS track (sorry it seems obvious). I am by no means an expert but it seems to me that if the DTS is working then the DD should also work. Is this a new receiver? If so then it may be faulty. Be sure to try a couple of different dvds with DD tracks.

I have that exact same receiver and the only problem I have ever had is that one time I had to cycle through the DVD player audio options to get DD to work. So make sure that your dvd player audio is setup correctly.

Other than that I can't figure it out.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your receiver is displaying NEO:Cinema then you are NOT getting true DTS 5.1 audio but are in fact getting a 2.0 audio and the receiver is using it's built-in DTS NEO enhancement (DTS's equivilant to Dolby DPL-2). When your receiver gets a true DTS or DD 5.1 or higher signal it will NOT use DTS:NEO or DD:PL-2. Those two are for audio received that are less then 5.1.

I would check the DVD player and be sure you have the settingS correctly set to "bitstream" on both DD and DTS. Also, if you are using coaxial digital cable (not the stereo L/R cables) be sure the receiver is also correctly setup to detect and decode DD and DTS from the digital coxial cable. If you have the L/R analog stereo cables hooked up between the DVD player and receiver disconnect them to verify you are actualy getting a signal from the DVD player to the receiver through the digital coaxial cable.
Old 10-17-04, 03:08 AM
Suspended

I have that exact same receiver and the only problem I have ever had is that one time I had to cycle through the DVD player audio options to get DD to work. So make sure that your dvd player audio is setup correctly.

Stupid, stupid me. Its the obvious that always gets me. I didn't select the correct audio setup on my DVD player. Got it now. Looks like I thought the Neo:Cinema DTS, was the DTS being played, when in fact (thanks to Frank S) it wasn't true DTS.
Thanks for the help though, sometimes it take another set of "eyes" on the issue at hand to figure out the problem.

Thanks to Brian Shannon, SonicFlood, canjun_junky and Frank S

Thanks to Frank_S for your in depth description, its too bad manuals don't explain these things like you did.