Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

George Lucas to receive AFI Lifetime Achievement Award

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From abcnews.com:

LOS ANGELES Oct. 15, 2004 — After creating "Star Wars," "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "American Graffiti," Darth Vader might insist it was George Lucas' DESTINY to get the American Film Institute's lifetime achievement award.

Lucas, 60, was picked on Friday to be the recipient of the organization's 33rd annual prize, following such recent recipients as Meryl Streep, Robert De Niro and Tom Hanks.

"I've been very fortunate to have had a long career doing what I love to do, and being recognized by the AFI for it is really an honor," Lucas said. "I'm proud to be counted among such an extraordinary group of people whose lives are dedicated to the art of making movies."

Previous honorees include Jack Nicholson, Barbra Streisand, Elizabeth Taylor, Steven Spielberg, Alfred Hitchcock, Sidney Poitier and Orson Welles.

The award marks a busy year for Lucas. Last month his original "Star Wars" trilogy debuted for the first time on DVD (and became a best seller) along with a revised version of his first film, the sci-fi dystopian thriller "THX 1138."

Lucas also was one of the key presenters recently at the 75th anniversary celebration for the University of Southern California's School of Cinema-Television (which boasts him as one of its most famous graduates).

And in May, he will wrap up his "Star Wars" prequels with the release of "Episode III Revenge of the Sith," which will reveal how Darth Vader became a scarred, half-human half-machine villain.
Old 10-15-04, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They should revisit his award in 20 years and resculpt it to match their original vision.
Old 10-15-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Why not, it's taken a fuckin' lifetime for him to perfect Star Wars and he's not done yet.
Old 10-15-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not like it matters much, but I can't really see how he qualifies for this. He certainly broke ground with special effects and was involved with a couple of solid projects, and that's great, but he doesn't really have the lifetime body of work I'd expect for such an award (unless it's for behind-the-scenes stuff, which isn't likely). However, he is famous and is at the peak of his marketing potential with the new film and DVDs, so it fits AFI's style pretty well.

das
Old 10-15-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
regardless of what he has in the can and under his belt along the lines of his films, it's besides the point. His impact in american film is huge. from THX sound to ILM effects. Without him, film would be really different today and that is something you need to admit regardless on how you feel about the changes he has made to star wars.
Old 10-15-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Congrats George!
Old 10-15-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quite frankly, I can't see how you can say he's not deserving of this. I mean, if Barbara Streisand and Elizabeth Taylor can win this award, George Lucas definately deserves it.

His body of work extends far beyond the Star Wars films (which in of itself represents quite a massive achievement) and can include Indy, THX, ILM, huge leaps in technology for editing and a myriad of other exceptionally important things.

I know some don't like the prequels, but he's completely deserving for his achievements even independant of Star Wars (though in truth that was the catalyst that made all that possible). Nonetheless, George Lucas is in my opinion a very impressive man with a ton of achievement (regardless if you like the prequels or his revisions) and for that, I would congratulate him on this award if he'd listen to me.
Old 10-15-04, 09:07 PM
Banned

Well, this award just lost a few points and decreased a whole notch on the Credibility Meter. Thirty-five years in the biz. Only five films. Two great ones. One decent one. And two pieces of shit. I don't even have a joke here. It's just an AFI Award, who cares.
Old 10-15-04, 09:16 PM

I guess raping millions of childhoods DOES count for something.

Georgy! Only you could've taken a masterpiece and reduced it to a laughing stock!

i'm just kidding, he deserves it as much as anyone else.

birrman54
Old 10-15-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
He deserves it.
Old 10-15-04, 09:23 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
He deserves it.
Yeah he does, he was the one who created SW.
Old 10-15-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Rivero
Well, this award just lost a few points and decreased a whole notch on the Credibility Meter. Thirty-five years in the biz. Only five films. Two great ones. One decent one. And two pieces of shit. I don't even have a joke here. It's just an AFI Award, who cares.
You fail to realize of what he actual has done for that film industry that you enjoy so much. His companies have expanded out to have their hands in Oscar award winning films from effects to souond technology.

35 years in the industry and look at how much of an impact he has made. Remember, AFI doesn't just mean what films you created. It's the American Film Institute and because of the steps Lucas has made, he has impacted American Films in a big way. I doubt there is any film out there now that would have been the same if it wasn't for the advancements that lucas has made.

Look past your hater eyes and realizes that they are not rewarding him for the films he has made, but because of the impact he has made with both his creations and his advancement in film technology. Even if it was just for his films alone. Indiana Jones, American Graffithi, Star Wars and the aftermath that followed it.

Lucas deserves this award and it would be insane to think otherwise.
Old 10-15-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think he totally deserves it. Barbra Streisand on the other hand, WTF?
Old 10-15-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Darth Vader might insist it was George Lucas' DESTINY to get the American Film Institute's lifetime achievement award.
Who writes this shit?

Lucas does deserve it for the way he's impacted the film industry.
Old 10-15-04, 10:36 PM

Well, this award just lost a few points and decreased a whole notch on the Credibility Meter. Thirty-five years in the biz. Only five films. Two great ones. One decent one. And two pieces of shit. I don't even have a joke here.
You truly are ridiculous. You aren't even smart enough to realize all of the things he's done for the film industry and other filmmakers.

- Created the Star Wars trilogy and the Indy Trilogy, arguably the two most popular trilogies of all-time. Both trilogies had an enormous impact on the film industry and a generation of filmgoers.

- Created and founded ILM, which went on to break new ground and redefine visual effects, something Lucas also did with Star Wars. Without Lucas and his company's efforts, visual effects would likely be 10 years behind where they are today.

- Created and founded Skywalker Sound, which is the most respected and awarded post-production sound facility for films in the film industry.

- Both companies have won so many Academy Awards, it's laughable.

- Created and founded Pixar. Without Lucas, enough said.

- Helped Kurosawa get Kagemusha made, when the Japanese filmmaker couldn't get the funds or the support to make the film. Was the co-producer for the international version of the film.

- Let Kurosawa use ILM's services on his film Dreams, at a bargain, to do the visual effects.

- Went to the aid of Lawrence Kasdan when he was filming Body Heat, because the studio wanted a big name. Lucas agreed to do this as long as he didn't get credit for the film, and even allowed Kasdan to apply his fee towards the film if it went over budget.

- Arranged a meeting for John Korty and Alan Ladd, so he could get his film "Twice Upon A Time' made.

- Lucas flew over to London when Walter Murch ran into cost and production problems. He even went to the studio to stick up for Murch, and his efforts got the studio to back off, and Murch was able to make his film. He didn't even ask for a salary or a credit on the film. All he asked for is his expenses.

- Went to bat for Paul Schrader so he could make his film Mishima. He convinced Warner Bros. to fund half of the film's cost.

- He also backed Haskell Wexler when he wante to make the film Latino. Lucas' backing led to a distribution deal with Cinecom.

- Co-produced Labyrinth with Jim Henson.

- Put up the money so Coppola could get started on their film of Tucker: The Man and His Dreams.

- Nominated for two Academy Awards for directing.

- Two of his films nominated for Best Picture.

- Even nominated for a Best Screenwriting Oscar for Star Wars.

- Winner of the Irving G. Thalberg award.

- Won the Saturn awards for Best Writing and Best Director for Star Wars.

- Won the Britannia Award for Excellence in film.

- Won the David Award for Best Producer - Foreign Film, for Kagemusha....

...and on and on and on. This is all in addition to his films American Graffiti and THX-1138, two great films. He also created, wrote, and produced Willow, a good film liked by many. Not to mention his pioneering efforts in digital filmmaking.

This is just part of his achievements. Take the blinders off you whiny, disgruntled Star Wars fan. This filmmaker's achievements go far beyond his own films and the films he created. They go far beyond Star Wars on Indy. His impact on film, effects, and sound, is perhaps unsurpassed except by a very, very few.

Last edited by Terrell; 10-15-04 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-16-04, 12:52 AM
Banned

Perhaps you are right. I will be taping this ceremony next June and cheering him on when he takes the stage to receive his award.
Old 10-16-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Whoa, Rivero, stick to your beliefs man!
Old 10-16-04, 01:09 AM

I know Rivero hates Lucas for the prequels and his refusal to release the original films on DVD, but Lucas' impact goes far beyond just the films he's created.

Maybe I came off too snappy. People can hate Lucas and call him a no-talent hack all day long. But his achievements and impact on the industry he works in are pretty incredible. I didn't even post all of his achievements. Just the ones I remembered.

This comes from AFI and it is the criteria by which they choose nominees.

The recipient should be one whose talent has in a fundamental way advanced the film art; whose accomplishment has been acknowledged by scholars, critics, professional peers and the general public; and whose work has stood the test of time.
If that doesn't apply to Lucas, then it doesn't apply to anyone.

Last edited by Terrell; 10-16-04 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-16-04, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Terrell, wow, I must simply say that I could never even dream of saying it any better then how you just put it.

Thank you.
Old 10-16-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good job AFI!
Old 10-16-04, 04:52 AM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
As stated above (Jack and Terrell nailed the highs), I agree. Congrats to GL
Old 10-16-04, 07:30 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
George has raped so many childhoods, he needs to get a master rapist lifetime award
Old 10-16-04, 02:55 PM

George has raped so many childhoods, he needs to get a master rapist lifetime award
The only people whose childhoods could possibly be raped by a bunch of movies, are losers with childhoods that are beyond pathetic. That probably fits you to a tee. Then again, these losers wouldn't have any childhood if it wasn't for Lucas to begin with.
Old 10-16-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It is as predictable as it is ridiculous that some would say Lucas doesn't deserve this award.
Old 10-16-04, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Terrell
The only people whose childhoods could possibly be raped by a bunch of movies, are losers with childhoods that are beyond pathetic. That probably fits you to a tee. Then again, these losers wouldn't have any childhood if it wasn't for Lucas to begin with.
it's a freakin joke.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.