DVD Talk
My friend refuses to watch Spiderman [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : My friend refuses to watch Spiderman

Trigger
10-13-04, 04:24 PM
He's been a big fan of Spidey since he was 3 years old (now 24) and he claims to be a fan of the 60s, 70s, and 80s comic books and the early versions of the cartoons (not the 90s one or the Mtv one). He says he's into details and the new movie got so much of it wrong that he's boycotting it. I spent far too many hours trying to convince him to watch the film. I think that as a fan, he's obligated and should feel compelled to watch anything and everything related to his obsession regardless of how bad it might be.

Among the things that pissed him off - putting Mary Jane in as the love interest instead of the first girl, putting Mary Jane together with the Green Goblin and Spiderman origins, having the Green Goblin look like a robot suit instead of pink and orange tights, etc... Anyone else a huge fan of Spiderman and thinks the movie was a pile of shit? Is he justified in his refusal to watch the films?

Groucho
10-13-04, 04:27 PM
I'm an "old school" Spider-Man fan myself, and loved the films.

Tell your friend to SUCK IT.

darqleo
10-13-04, 04:33 PM
I'm not an uber Spider-Man fan, but I know enough of his major storylines from the comics and from the 60's/70's cartoons.
I liked the first movie. The only problems I had were certain CGI shots were sub par and the Green Goblin design could have been better (mostly the mask), but neither killed the movie for me.

jaeufraser
10-13-04, 04:40 PM
Well, he just sounds like an obsessive fan. They're fun movies (I think the first one is soso, the second one much better), but quite frankly I don't undersstand the logic behind boycotting a film because it changes things from the story. Watch the movie for itself. Just tell him if he wants the story exact, reading his frickin comic books. If he wants to see live action Spidey, well, there's only one way...watch the damn movie. In the end, his loss.

Trigger
10-13-04, 04:42 PM
Actually - there were live action tv-movies of Spidey a few decades back. There was also a Japanese series that was more like Power Rangers.

Groucho
10-13-04, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Trigger
Actually - there were live action tv-movies of Spidey a few decades back. There was also a Japanese series that was more like Power Rangers. Spider-Man was also a regular on "The Electric Company." Remember that, true believers?

Trigger
10-13-04, 04:44 PM
He was too young to remember the Electric Company and I only remember the pinball machine credit sequence and the Bloodhound gang - the rest is a blur.

Cornholio
10-13-04, 04:45 PM
i refused to watch the hulk

Numanoid
10-13-04, 04:50 PM
He was too young to remember the Electric Company and I only remember the pinball machine credit sequence and the Bloodhound gang - the rest is a blur. The Bloodhound Gang was from 3-2-1 Contact, n00b.

Trigger
10-13-04, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Numanoid
The Bloodhound Gang was from 3-2-1 Contact, n00b. Oh yeah... well, what the fuck then? I can't remember EC. I'm only 30, I'm not 55 like you, hippie. ;)

Trigger
10-13-04, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Cornholio
i refused to watch the hulk But how strong in your convictions were you? Did you end up seeing it at some point? See, he refuses to watch it to the point where he would kill himself before watching it clockwork orange style. He said he'd leave my house if I put it in the DVD player. He said "I'd rather take a bath with a dude than watch the Spiderman movie"

calhoun07
10-13-04, 05:00 PM
I personally think it's ludicrous for anybody to boycott a comic book movie because it's not like the comic book. I have a friend who won't shut up about how much he hated Hellboy because it wasn't like the comic book. I said to him, "Then why didn't you stay home and read the comic book?"

I don't go to comic book movies expecting them to be EXACTLY like the comic book. That would suck royally. I already read those stories a thousand times, show me something different. If it works, it works for me on a different level than if they got all the details exactly right.

And, personally, I liked the Hulk. It reminded me of some of the better movies from the 70s I have seen. Compared to the comic, I suppose it sucks, but for what it is, stand alone, it's pretty good and I think unfairly trashed.

In comics, there are often many, many different retellings of origins and the basic stories of the main super heroes. Spider Man, for example has been through a few. If in comics they can have different versions of the original stories, then they should be allowed to do some reimagining for the movies.

Morf
10-13-04, 05:02 PM
Tell your friend flat out that many things don't translate well from the comic book pages to the big screen. A Green Goblin in tights would have looked stupid. Killing off Spidey's love interest in movie one would have been lame. Et cetera.

Kal-El
10-13-04, 05:05 PM
Well, every person chooses their own special "cause" to support. Unfortunately, your friend chose a stupidly laughable one. It's his right and his choice. It's also his loss. I wouldn't spend any more time trying to convince him if I were you.

Groucho
10-13-04, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Cornholio
i refused to watch the hulk Smart decision. :yack:

Numanoid
10-13-04, 05:06 PM
He said "I'd rather take a bath with a dude than watch the Spiderman movie" Should I be the one to break it to Trigger?

Trigger
10-13-04, 05:28 PM
Should I be the one to break it to Trigger? Not everyone is gay... quit projecting. :p

Trigger
10-13-04, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Morf
Tell your friend flat out that many things don't translate well from the comic book pages to the big screen. A Green Goblin in tights would have looked stupid. Killing off Spidey's love interest in movie one would have been lame. Et cetera. I agree that green goblin in tights would've looked dumb, but that's what he wanted. He wanted someone to have the balls to do it right.

cultshock
10-13-04, 05:36 PM
Making a film based on a comic that is 100% faithful is practically impossible. They are two different mediums and there has to be some concessions made. I used to be a huge comic book fan, and I thought that the Spider-man films were excellent. But I have to admit that I don't like the Green Goblin costume either. I know that having him wear tights would have been dumb, but they could have come with something better than having Gobby look like a Power Rangers villain reject.

Numanoid
10-13-04, 05:58 PM
Not everyone is gay... quit projecting. Originally posted by Trigger
I agree that green goblin in tights would've looked dumb, but that's what he wanted. I'm having a really difficult time reconciling these two statements. :D

OldBoy
10-13-04, 06:05 PM
how does he know what to boycott if he won't watch what he is boycotting?

jaeufraser
10-13-04, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by cultshock
Making a film based on a comic that is 100% faithful is practically impossible. They are two different mediums and there has to be some concessions made. I used to be a huge comic book fan, and I thought that the Spider-man films were excellent. But I have to admit that I don't like the Green Goblin costume either. I know that having him wear tights would have been dumb, but they could have come with something better than having Gobby look like a Power Rangers villain reject.

I agree, but they surely made up for it in SM2, as they nailed Doc Ock.

Nonetheless, anyone expecting an exact translation of any medium to film is gonig to be sorely disapointed as, well, it's not going to happen, and even if it did it wouldn't be pretty.

chente
10-13-04, 06:30 PM
I'm a big comic book fan and while the details of the movie may have been different than in the 1960's comics, the characterization was very true to the books. Spider-Man II was particularly good, with several of the images taken directly from the comic books. In regards to your friend, why try and force him to watch something he doesn't want to? It's his loss.

devilshalo
10-13-04, 06:45 PM
If I were a purist, I'd refuse to watch Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones or the 97 Special Editions of ANH, ESB and ROTJ.

But I watched them anyway. :shrug:

joeydaninja
10-13-04, 06:52 PM
I liked Spiderman as a kid, and I didn't think much of the movies. So I don't think he's missing much. If the guy doesn't want to watch the movie, let him be

fumanstan
10-13-04, 06:55 PM
Boycotts like these never make sense to me.

FantasticVSDoom
10-13-04, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Groucho
Spider-Man was also a regular on "The Electric Company." Remember that, true believers?
Vaguely, but I do remember that The Electric Company had the Alphabet people. Talk about a concept that is begging to be made into a movie...

Trigger
10-13-04, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by scott1598
how does he know what to boycott if he won't watch what he is boycotting? believe me, I know... I've posed this question to him alot. We talked about this for like 5 hours until the sun came up - then he left and went home and I couldn't sleep so I called him to bitch at him some more about it. It's like, I can understand him having this position about any other comic book film, but Spidey was the truest and most faithful comic to film to date (with the possible exception of Superman)... as a fan, I believe he should feel compelled and obligated to check out spiderman in every form and medium whether he ends up liking it or not - the point being that he at least sees it so he can HAVE an opinion.

Trigger
10-13-04, 07:52 PM
I'm having a really difficult time reconciling these two statements. :D Glad you caught that - I knew the conflict as I typed it. However, superheroes typically wear tights in the comics and I wouldn't categorize all comic book fanatics as homosexual and I don't think you would either.

BJacks
10-14-04, 12:39 AM
Comic legend John Byrne writes a column for me, and I believe he has refused to watch the Spider-Man movie. Of course, he has a more vested interest in the property than the average movie-goer or comic fan.

calhoun07
10-14-04, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Morf
Tell your friend flat out that many things don't translate well from the comic book pages to the big screen. A Green Goblin in tights would have looked stupid. Killing off Spidey's love interest in movie one would have been lame. Et cetera.

Do you think it was also lame for them to kill off Elektra in Daredevil? I think it might have been. Everybody I know who saw it always point to that first when talking about the things they didn't like about the movie. Maybe these dramatic death scenes are better in comics, when they can be built up over several issues rather than several minutes, and have more of an emotional impact in comics.

calhoun07
10-14-04, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by BJacks
Comic legend John Byrne writes a column for me, and I believe he has refused to watch the Spider-Man movie. Of course, he has a more vested interest in the property than the average movie-goer or comic fan.

Byrne is a washed up bitter old man, disgruntled because Marvel fired him from the Hulk and also because his Spider Man Chapter One series did a nose dive into the sea while Ultimate Spider Man soared high into the clouds. His opinion should be the last one we consider.

Dean Kousoulas
10-14-04, 02:12 AM
I wasn't too fond on the first Spider-Man, but I loved the second.

Trigger
10-14-04, 02:47 AM
I was lukewarm on the first, but the second film was awesome. I think he needs to see the second film... trouble is, he should see the first film first. He's a stubborn bastard.

Original Desmond
10-14-04, 04:12 AM
sorry mate, but let your mate do what he fucking wants, it's his life

ClownFace666
10-14-04, 04:34 AM
He said "I'd rather take a bath with a dude than watch the Spiderman movie"

Well, there is only one thing to do. Bring out the bubble bath.

Trigger
10-14-04, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Original Desmond
sorry mate, but let your mate do what he fucking wants, it's his life no. and don't tell me what to do. :p

;)

Trigger
10-14-04, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by ClownFace666
Well, there is only one thing to do. Bring out the bubble bath. Problem is - I don't want to take a bath with a dude... so unless you're offering your services to help convince him to see this film (which means you're packing your shower cap and rubber duckie and heading to phoenix), I think we're gonna need another solution.

Spiderbite
10-14-04, 09:16 AM
Oh yeah... well, what the fuck then? I can't remember EC. I'm only 30, I'm not 55 like you, hippie. ;)

Man, I can't believe you don't remember The Electric Company. I'm 31 and it was a mainstay. Only the cool kids watched EC. Guess you were too busy watching Mr. Rogers instead. :)

freudguy
10-14-04, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by FantasticVSDoom
Vaguely, but I do remember that The Electric Company had the Alphabet people. Talk about a concept that is begging to be made into a movie...

No, no, no. Those were the Letter People and they had their own show. :rolleyes: ;)

Come and meet the Letter People
Come and visit in the family
Words are made of Letter People
A, B, C, D, Follow me

Anyways, I think your friend is missing out. One of my friends was the same way, he even had a near-mint copy of Amazing Fantasy #15. He gave up and watched it...and loved it.

Edited to include topic relevant to thread ;)

Corvin
10-14-04, 12:36 PM
I can see where your friend is coming from. I'm a big fan of the novel The Last of the Mohicans, and everytime I try to watch Mann's version I become outrageously frustrated. I have yet to finish it.

It's a shame about your friend, though, because both Spider-Man flicks are great fun.

Birrman54
10-14-04, 01:06 PM
Problem is - I don't want to take a bath with a dude... so unless you're offering your services to help convince him to see this film (which means you're packing your shower cap and rubber duckie and heading to phoenix), I think we're gonna need another solution.

hire a male stripper. Have the guy come in with a Spiderman DVD, say he's got two choices.

birrman54

majorjoe23
10-14-04, 01:08 PM
He said "I'd rather take a bath with a dude than watch the Spiderman movie"

What, does he have something against baths too?

Trigger
10-14-04, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Man, I can't believe you don't remember The Electric Company. I'm 31 and it was a mainstay. Only the cool kids watched EC. Guess you were too busy watching Mr. Rogers instead. :) Well, I know I used to watch it - I just don't remember it or I blended it with 321 contact apparently. I fucking hated Mr. Rogers - he gave me this fried sugar banana recipe that I made my mom cook up for me and it tasted like shit so I didn't want to eat it and my mom got pissed off and tied me to the kitchen chair with dishtowels and tried to force me to eat it, but I still wouldn't so she hit me in the face and shit... it sucked. Yeah, fuck Mr. Rogers.

El-Kabong
10-14-04, 04:20 PM
Yeah, fuck Mr. Rogers.

http://www.slightlywarped.com/forumpictures/BanHim/banhim.jpg

ClownFace666
10-14-04, 05:26 PM
Talking bad about Mr. Rogers?

Thats like a sin dude. lol.

Wow. Your mom tied you to the chair because you refused to eat her sugared banana? Not cool dude.

I really hope you were joking. Sounds like you were, but I have seen people before say crazy stuff like this and they were serious.

Maybe your friend would like a sugared banana. lol...

Fok
10-14-04, 05:55 PM
Its Hollywood, what can you do. I thought they did do a good job.

cultshock
10-14-04, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Man, I can't believe you don't remember The Electric Company. I'm 31 and it was a mainstay. Only the cool kids watched EC

I couldn't stand The Electric Company when I was a kid. The only reason I watched it was to see Spidey, and that wasn't so great because it bugged me that he never talked. :lol:

This cool kid was watching Bugs Bunny cartoons, Superfriends, and old Godzilla movies instead. :D

Joe Molotov
10-14-04, 06:25 PM
Friends are weird sometimes. I've got a friend who refused to play the multiplayer mode on Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles with me because he said he'd never played a Final Fantasy game before. I told him that all the Final Fantasy games were unrelated and that Crystal Chronicles was ever more unrelated than most, but he said if he played it then he wouldn't be able to say he'd never played a Final Fantasy game anymore. Yeah, good luck getting the ladies with that line. :rolleyes:

Trigger
10-14-04, 06:48 PM
Wow. Your mom tied you to the chair because you refused to eat her sugared banana? Not cool dude.

I really hope you were joking. Sounds like you were, but I have seen people before say crazy stuff like this and they were serious.
sadly, it's all true.

calhoun07
10-14-04, 10:00 PM
Talking bad about Mr. Rogers?

Thats like a sin dude. lol.

Go easy on him. I thought it was kinda funny, and reminded me of the scene in the Jay and Silent Bob comic (reprinted in Chasing Dogma) where Jay and Silent Bob met Mr Rogers and found he was a stuck up prick who told them to f' off.

BizRodian
10-14-04, 11:48 PM
I always thought it was kind of selfish for Mr Rogers to not change clothes before the show started.

Trigger
10-14-04, 11:55 PM
Well, he flat-out lied to me saying that the fried banana thing would be a nice tasty treat - let me tell you, it wasn't.

Numanoid
10-15-04, 12:07 AM
Well, he flat-out lied to me saying that the fried banana thing would be a nice tasty treat - let me tell you, it wasn't. Have you stopped to consider that maybe it was your execution of the recipe which actually did the sucking?

caligulathegod
10-15-04, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by freudguy
No, no, no. Those were the Letter People and they had their own show. :rolleyes: ;)

Come and meet the Letter People
Come and visit in the family
Words are made of Letter People
A, B, C, D, Follow me

"Letter People" wasn't what he was talking about. Electric Company had "Letterman" with the voice of Gene Wilder and narrated by Joan Rivers.

Also, the pinball thing was on Sesame Street.

nightmaster
10-15-04, 01:32 AM
Your friend is just being a snit about it and probably enjoys the fact that it irks you.....I've had my share of friends who think that being quirky and playing the lofty part is chic and it never sits well with me. If he wants to miss out on a few great movies thats his problem.

Peep
10-15-04, 05:31 PM
Trigger, I'd spend more time trying to work thing out with your crazy mom and the control issues that she seems to have passed on to you and spend less time worrying about what movies your friends want to see.

:)

cross
10-15-04, 11:29 PM
Oh yeah... well, what the fuck then? I can't remember EC. I'm only 30, I'm not 55 like you, hippie. ;)

Really? I'm 23 and I remember getting the Electric Company magazine with the Spidey comics in the back and their eventual name change to Kid City.

Or maybe you're one of those kids who's parents wanted them to be Nobel Laureates and got them Highlights instead.

Trigger
10-16-04, 01:40 AM
I didn't have highlights, but I did have Ranger Rick.

El-Kabong
10-16-04, 02:15 AM
I swear to god when I first read that, I thought it said "but I did have ranger DICK"

I gotta get out more.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0