Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dawn of the Dead Question

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-13-04, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the new boxset. If I am going to watch this with someone who will probably only sit through one of the versions with me- which should I watch with them? Thanks!
Old 10-13-04, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The theatrical version is the best one to watch. The pacing is very good, and it has a proper mixture of horror and satire.
Old 10-13-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I like the European/Zombi cut myself, but that's just me.
Old 10-13-04, 08:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I agree that the theatrical cut is the best. Better music, better pacing.
Old 10-13-04, 08:22 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I watched the US Theatrical cut myself last night. It not only is George A. Romero's preferred cut of the film, but it's the only version with a DTS track.
Old 10-13-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you've already seen the US theatrical cut I'd suggest the Zombi cut for something different.
Old 10-13-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

US Theatrical Cut, 100 percent.
Old 10-13-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts
100% agree with the theatrical cut. It's damn near perfect. While it's nice to finally have ZOMBI on DVD for completeness sake, I've never been a big fan of that cut of the film.
Old 10-13-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
I've been on the fence about this one. I already have the 2-disc Divimax. If the US theatrical is already the best cut (which from what I read I think I would agree with), anybody have a good reason other than curiosity about the other cuts to upgrade?

If I had been able to wait for this release and not bought the Divimax in March, I would buy this. But if you only watch the US version, what is worth the $30 upgrade (minus what I get for the Divimax version) over what I have?
Old 10-13-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts
The Theatrical is by far the best of the three versions.

Bill, it depends on what you want the set for, as to whether it is worth the upgrade to you.

I'll probabley never watch either of the alt versions again, but I like knowing that I have them accessible should I ever want need to. It was worth the money to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm very fanatical about Dawn of the Dead, so I really wanted those other cuts. I wouldn't want three seperate versions of say Star Wars. It's a good movie, but as I'm only a casual fan of it, I'd be happy with the copy I have now.
Old 10-13-04, 04:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Better music, better pacing.
Papa John's!...i dunno, just seemed to fit.
Old 10-13-04, 06:02 PM

Thanks all!
Old 10-13-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by Bill Needle
I've been on the fence about this one. I already have the 2-disc Divimax. If the US theatrical is already the best cut (which from what I read I think I would agree with), anybody have a good reason other than curiosity about the other cuts to upgrade?

If I had been able to wait for this release and not bought the Divimax in March, I would buy this. But if you only watch the US version, what is worth the $30 upgrade (minus what I get for the Divimax version) over what I have?
Considering that this was "Anchor Bay" and "Dawn of the Dead" we're talking about, it was a good decision to pick up the earlier Divimax release. I have the OOP Anniversary disc, the early Divimax release, and now the UE.

I'm watching the European cut and it definitely has a "Euro" feel to it. If I get the time, I'll splice all 3 cuts to recreate the "bootleg" cut I have on VHS.

I'm extremely impressed with this release. AB has done everything right with it, IMO. (But then again, not surprising since Lustig left... he seemed to have a chip on his shoulder about anything Romero-related)
Old 10-15-04, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
The Theatrical is by far the best of the three versions.

Bill, it depends on what you want the set for, as to whether it is worth the upgrade to you.

I'll probabley never watch either of the alt versions again, but I like knowing that I have them accessible should I ever want need to. It was worth the money to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm very fanatical about Dawn of the Dead, so I really wanted those other cuts. I wouldn't want three seperate versions of say Star Wars. It's a good movie, but as I'm only a casual fan of it, I'd be happy with the copy I have now.
Are the additional extras noteworthy? Or just for completists?

And thanks for the response.
Old 10-15-04, 02:29 AM

I prefer the Euro cut. But if Mr. Romero is reading, I would put SOME of the music from the US version into it.

So, it's an as yet unmade 4th version for me!
Old 10-15-04, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great question....I was wondering the same thing.

Looks like the theatrical cut for me this weekend.
Old 10-15-04, 09:13 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
For those who prefer the US cut (or the Euro cut for that matter), do you do so because of the musical score, cut/added scenes or both?
Old 10-15-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
For those who prefer the US cut (or the Euro cut for that matter), do you do so because of the musical score, cut/added scenes or both?
Both. The synth-wailing intro at the beginning of the US cut just absolutely sets the tone for me. The mall muzak and other incidental music (during the cut scenes of the mall, and other quiet times) may be heavily 70's dated... but it provides the perfect audio contrast to accompany the visual and mood contrasts of the film.

I have a "bootleg" cut on VHS that is essentially the US cut with scenes from the other cuts added in, or replace US scenes if they contain longer versions. That weighs in at about 146 min.

I'm usually a purist for the original theatrical cuts of films, but my favorite cut of Dawn is Anchor Bay's "Anniversary" cut. It is the US version with a few of the added scenes (such as the dock scene) from the "Director's" cut. All of the benefits of what makes the US cut so good, with a few added scenes to flesh the story out without noticeably effecting the pacing or feel of the film.
Old 10-15-04, 11:14 AM
MSD

The extended cut is the way to go.