Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DD-EX and DTS-EX opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-04, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DD-EX and DTS-EX opinions...

I'm working with a 5.1 system though with my Onkyo receiver i'm capable of 6.1.

For those of you with 6.1 setups how much difference does it make to have a "back" channel?? Do you have any favorite discs and scenes from those discs that really show off the effects of a back channel?

I'd be curious for your input? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 10-12-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Well worth it. To convince yourself go pop in LOTR:FOTR EE
Old 10-12-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Minor correction: it's DTS-ES and DD EX.
Old 10-12-04, 04:07 PM
Banned

It is definately a great enhancement, but it will greatly depend on your setup and the room. If you are working with a small or odd shaped room, I really wouldn't worry about it if the price is an issue for you. To get the maximum benefits, you need to be able to setup the four surround speakers in their proper placements. In my opinion, it's not something that works if you are just "winging it" for speaker placement and room shape. Should be close to:

Last edited by Green Jello; 10-12-04 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-12-04, 04:53 PM

I would make sure it is the best upgrade for your money. How are your speakers? Subwoofer? How well will it fit in your room?

It does sound more immersive but I would rather have quality 5.1 than an "ok" 6.1.

If you do not have a quality sub that would be a better place to spend your money. If money is no object and it fits your room well, I say go 6.1.

p.s. My room looks exactly like the above diagram except I have two subs in the corners. Sounds nice.
Old 10-12-04, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Ginsu
I would rather have quality 5.1 than an "ok" 6.1.
Well put. My feelings exactly.
Old 10-12-04, 06:12 PM

I have a 6.1 setup and I am overwhelmed again and again! Never befor I caught myself that many times turning my head, looking if something is happening behing me, while I am watching a movie. It's like you're even more surrounded by the sound, than being on its brim.
Even with 5.1 or lesser sources a dsp, like Neo6, will make the sound spread like you would never imagined.
Alas, SACD is 'just' 5.1; but it got other qualities, which make it wonderful.
If you have the chance, money and space for a 6.1 setup, don't hesitate. Go spatial!
Old 10-12-04, 07:10 PM

I gotta agree with the comments made above. I have a 7.1 setup similar to the diagram above, and I'm amazed by the improvements over 5.1. I highly recommend Gladiator, and Saving Private Ryan even with matrix 7.1 is an awesome experience. If it's within your budget, I suggest doing it, but make sure the extra speaker is at least the same quality of your other speakers.
Old 10-12-04, 08:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Green Jello
Unfortunately, my room isn't set up to place the SL & SR speakers anywhere besides where the SBL & SBR are in the above diagram (but a little further apart - actually just to outside parallel with the FL & FR).

I have a drop ceiling (framed grid with panels) in my room, and I've got my rear speakers for my computer hanging from that grid, while my rear speakers for my TV are hanging on the rear wall.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 10-12-04 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-12-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my experience it depends alot on the room and the movie. There are alot of movies that take advantage of the extra rear speaker and/or just sound better with the extra speaker but for most movies I don't notice a HUGE difference. If you have the cash then obviously I would do the 6.1.

My opinion is like others.....a quality 5.1 is better than an average 6.1 (or 7.1)
Old 10-12-04, 11:03 PM

Due to the small space of my dedicated Home Theater Room (11'x12') I went with another alternative in improving my sound.
I have a 5.2 system and having an extra subwoofer made a huge difference. No need to worry about bass shakers now. Currently running B&W DM600 series speakers, with Dual SVS Subs (PC+ and PC Ultra) on my Harman Kardon AVR-520 Receiver and I love the sound.
Old 10-13-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unless you have exotic speakers, adding 1 more isn't going to break the bank if you already have the processor/amp capable of 6.1. It's not like you have to purchase 6 new speakers. I'm not sure all the worry above about "quality 5.1 vs decent 6.1" is really an issue for a small upgrade situation.

Shroud,
How can you possibly need both an Ultra and a + in around 1000 cubic feet? I just have the + and I can hurt myself seated at 13' away in a 12x35x7 room with extra space on the side, well over 3000 cubic feet. Crossover at 50Hz.
Old 10-13-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah man, those B&W 600's aren't made for that small of a space either. Unless you are firing into a concrete floor with no subfloor above it made out of wood, I don't see why you would need the two woofers. Don't get me wrong, I have a few woofers in my setup as well, but that's a different story